Who does not burn 24/7 and why?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've looked at the cleaning thing the plus side to my situation of my girlfriend not wanting it on at night when I'm not here. I figure when I get home every morning, I can give it a good cleaning and vacuuming out before firing it up.

Mine ran only when I was home for about 3 months of last year as I didn't have it on a thermostat, the house temps bounced all over, and my electric wall heaters came on to keep the place from getting way too cold while I was out. Then I got a thermostat and the stove kept the house even temp all the time. Only shut it down to clean out every few days. Electric bill dropped by a ton, and my house was comfy the next couple of months until I shut it down for the season.

I burnt 24/7 the 1st 2 winters then last year i didn't . What i did was , get up in the morning & the up the thermostat on the oil to 72, while that is going on, i light the pellet stove, sometimes i start it on medium, sometimes on high. I shut the pellet stove off when i go to bed, put the oil at 60-62 & when i get up in the morning, i start all over again. I cannot beleive how much i saved going this route. I still have 2 1/2 tons left . But i never had any qualms about leaving the pellet stove on while i'm out & about or when i was sleeping. But seeing as it only takes 15 minutes to toast up the house in the morning , i don't burn pellets at bedtime anymore. Muss

forya said:
Ran my Harman accentra insert to heat a 2-story, 2000sq ft. house 24-7 last year only stopped for cleanings. Last year I didn't run my electric heat pump once.

I am in Southeast Pa too. I plan on running my stove when I am home and just setting my heat pump for 55 or so when I am at work all day. I electric bills were not to crazy but we only kept the house in the 60's and used an electric blanket at nite too. Heat would come on for an hour in the morning when getting ready and then again at 5pm. But I cannot wait to have a toasty house now that I got this stove. I can only imagine what my electric bills would be if I did heat the house toasty.

Last year mine actually ran more through the night and went off when it ran out of pellets and when I would get home from work I would reload and restart it. Hopefully this year someone else will learn how to open a bag of pellets also....and to dream even larger operate the vac and clean it for me. I am sure it will be like the lawn and other things outside. It is perfectly fine for me to be crosstrained in laundry and dishes but the mower and weedeater seem to only fit my hands.

Countryboymo said:
Hopefully this year someone else will learn how to open a bag of pellets also....and to dream even larger operate the vac and clean it for me. I am sure it will be like the lawn and other things outside. but the mower and weedeater seem to only fit my hands.

See, there's the answer, must be the pellet bags and vac to clean the stove must only fit your hands too. :cheese:

muss said:
....What i did was , get up in the morning & the up the thermostat on the oil to 72, while that is going on, i light the pellet stove.....

Muss, why even turn the oil monster on at all??

You have the pellet stove on a stat, right? Why not have the pellet stove come on 30-45 minutes before you get up. That's what I do, and the house is a nice comfy temp already when I walk out of the bedroom.

24/7 for me...got 5 ton in the woodshed, about 100 gals hho for the oil monster, and a big enough generator to run said monster in case of power failure. :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.