Who dropped wood at my house today?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdinspector

Feeling the Heat
Jan 22, 2009
Northern IL
I came home to a nice surprise today. About 1/2 cord of cut rounds laying off on the side of my driveway. Problem is... I don't know who dropped it off! I have two suspicions and will call #1 tomorrow to find out if it was him. It seems pretty light and has the bark falling off, so I'm guessing about 2 years cut. I think it's elm. I'll split tomorrow and find out.

Who'd a thunk? People dropping stuff at my house? And being neat about it!! It was all at the side of the drive and had obviously been tossed off of a truck into a small area.

Zippity doo daa!!

Good for you !!!!! :coolsmile:

I came home a few months ago to about 1/2 cord of cut & split right at the area where we process. Some of it wet, and some of it not. I still don't know whre it came from !!

It's all sorted and stacked ;-)

What a nice surprise. My story isn't quite that good, but almost. Earlier in the year, a guy at work mentioned that his father in law has a rack of wood (including the rack) that he wants to get rid of and wanted to know if I wanted it. I said sure but he never mentioned it again and I didn't press him any further on it. I kinda figured he sold it or gave it to someone who needed it more than I did but today, the guy steps into my office and said his father in law is now ready to get rid of the wood and wanted to know if I still wanted it. I quickly said sure and said I'd drive the truck to work tomorrow and we'd pick it up after work. Thought I'd jump on it right away. He said it was probably hackberry and is probably 3 or 4 years seasoned.

It's great when you get wood dropped off like that I have several nephews and a Father in law known to do that. One day this summer I hear a noise and looked out and here was my FIL and another truck following him ( his neighbor) dropping off two truck loads of freshly cut maple to add to my pile.
I buy them some beer or a gas gift card and by golly they keep on bringing wood . My FIL even told me at thanksgiving he needs to fire up the new saw he won a nice husky 44 and will be coming up to cut some rounds!!!!

I don't have a splitter, so anything too gnarly for my back and constitution goes into a pile and I'll drive by my brother's house and dump it.

Wow. Any wood that is put by the driveway is wood that I put there! Some guys are lucky.

On the other hand, I have dropped off wood to people without them knowing who did it, but they usually guess pretty well anyway.

Wait, somebody dropped a bunch of elm rounds off at your house? Stuff that was cut and drying for ~2 years?

ROTFLMAO!

I think one of your "friends" figured he'd get a few laughs. Ya gonna hit that with a maul or splitter?

Matt

I'll hit them with a hyd. splitter. I tried one early this morning with a maul and it split pretty easy. Definately elm, but apparantly the easy to split type! (Who knew?)

I was heading to work this morning and saw a tree service truck that dropped some wood a month ago. I had the guy's phone number written down and called him. Yep, he was the one. We had a cell phone chat sitting next to eachother on the road while we waited for construction traffic to clear. He said he has plenty more. "Should I just drop it off on your driveway when I'm in your area?" I told him "no", my wife would kill me if the driveway were full of wood all the time. I need to figure out a plan to store more wood in back. Currently about 5-7 cords stacked along the fence, wood shed and in a holz hausen. Thinking about another holz in another spot- but bigger than the 2 cord holz I currently have stacked. Maybe an UBER-Holz?

I had 3 truckloads of Oak dropped off at my house a few days ago., but I knew it was coming. A friend started working at a tree service and asked if I needed any wood. I said "bring it on"......

EatenByLimestone said:
ROTFLMAO!

1. Glad you got some free wood. You're making scrounging look bad! I'm guessing someone wanted to clean up their mess, but aren't wood burners themselves, and they correctly thought you'd be thrilled to get some wood.
2. Had to look up Internet Acronyms to figure out EatenByLimesone was having a giggle fit.
3. Happy burning!

jdinspector said:
I came home to a nice surprise today. About 1/2 cord of cut rounds laying off on the side of my driveway. Problem is... I don't know who dropped it off! I have two suspicions and will call #1 tomorrow to find out if it was him. It seems pretty light and has the bark falling off, so I'm guessing about 2 years cut. I think it's elm. I'll split tomorrow and find out.
Zippity doo daa!!

WAIT, don't do anything with that wood......they dropped it off at the wrong house! I'll be by to get my wood :)

maplewood said:
EatenByLimestone said:
ROTFLMAO!

1. Glad you got some free wood. You're making scrounging look bad! I'm guessing someone wanted to clean up their mess, but aren't wood burners themselves, and they correctly thought you'd be thrilled to get some wood.
2. Had to look up Internet Acronyms to figure out EatenByLimesone was having a giggle fit.
3. Happy burning!

Giggle fits are fun. I remember when we had our ice storm last December. While my father's power was out and he was staying at my house I had a tree service dump a trailer full of oak in his driveway and proceeded to add to the pile myself from all the maple trees down on his street. To his credit, when he returned home to 4 or 5 cords of unsplit wood in his driveway he never said a word.

I'm happy to hear it split easily.

Matt

ribs1 said:
This happens to me all the time. The problem is, it's usually a pile that I left but forgot about.
I can't remember what I did a few hours ago much less a few days ago.

Yeah? Who says?

I got one of these yesterday too!!! Almost a cord of red oak. Thank you very much who ever it was :)

Status
Not open for further replies.