Who dun it? (pic, identification needed)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bster13

Minister of Fire
Feb 24, 2012
CT
Came back to town yesterday with the Wife and noticed a fresh load of wood in my driveway:

1231336_889103542386_1241159226_n.jpg

I suspect it was my landscaper neighbor (good guy) but boy did my Wife give me hell... "You got more wood while we were out of town? How? You haven't split what you have already!" Oh well, I'll deal. :p

Any guess what kind it is?

oh yeah....there would hell to be paid here....she would hit the roof

Came back to town yesterday with the Wife and noticed a fresh load of wood in my driveway:

I suspect it was my landscaper neighbor (good guy) but boy did my Wife give me hell... "You got more wood while we were out of town? How? You haven't split what you have already!" Oh well, I'll deal. :p

Any guess what kind it is?

It looks like some Cherry.

Woody

Dang it, I should of known. I've had cherry before and I couldn't put my finger on this. Thank you.

Guessing cherry, split one to be sure.

Show/teach her how to operate the splitter ;)

The electric one , not the axe. Might use it on you :)

I am hoping splitting and stacking can be a bonding thing, but I'm not counting on it. She'd only come out in the yard after she feels the benefit of a full heating season. With that said, she's not stupid and will most likely let me do all the work and just sit in front of the fire. :p

Cherry, no ifs ands or buts about it.

Reactions: ScotO
I can almost smell that great stuff from here...

Reactions: ScotO and blujacket
What will be interesting is seeing which phase of the day/night needs the Oak.

During the day the house should be warmer due to daylight, but my Wife and I are away longer, and we have pets we like to keep the place warm for. Then at night, I need less burn time, but the temps outside will be colder. It will be interesting to see where I need to use the Oak.
Don't worry about it. Still good firewood. Just not the best for overnight burns. This is why we save the oak for night burning but have no problem burning cherry during the daytime.

Looks like some beech thrown in there too. Nice neighbor you have there too. My neighbors just "borrow" firewood.

Reactions: Bster13 and ScotO
Cherry without a doubt, and some damm fine looking cherry at that. Looks like some nice splitting rounds there. Save some for cooking on the firepit, man that is one of my favorite woods to smell burning. I've said it many times, one of the best smells in the world on a cold snowy day is a cherry fire burning.........

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.