Who else cleaned there chimney today?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xman23

Minister of Fire
Oct 7, 2008
Lackawaxen PA
The plan has always been to clean the chimney at the end of the burn season. That's never happened. So today the roof shingles were cool so I got up on the roof. It was bad, opened up the stove, found 3 inches of ash, 2 half burnt pieces of wood. I don't recall ever leaving the stove not cleaned but this year we did. It wasn't me that did that, my wife is not real good at shoulder season burns. I'm not good at pointing out the issue, so I just cleaned up the mess. I top down, with a few ladders on the roof tied off to the chimney. Two new fire bricks and cleaned the inside of the stove to bare metal. Easier to check for any cracks. About three hours to do it all.

If you didn't do it today, get er done.

The plan has always been to clean the chimney at the end of the burn season. That's never happened. So today the roof shingles were cool so I got up on the roof. It was bad, opened up the stove, found 3 inches of ash, 2 half burnt pieces of wood. I don't recall ever leaving the stove not cleaned but this year we did. It wasn't me that did that, my wife is not real good at shoulder season burns. I'm not good at pointing out the issue, so I just cleaned up the mess. I top down, with a few ladders on the roof tied off to the chimney. Two new fire bricks and cleaned the inside of the stove to bare metal. Easier to check for any cracks. About three hours to do it all.

If you didn't do it today, get er done.
I cleaned mine at the end of the season. I do agree if you haven't cleaned it you'd probably want to do it soon.

Cleaned mine last weekend....a lot of Dark Brown Ash....very light, no chunks, could fill 1 1/2 coffee cans....this has been the norm since it was installed 8 years ago

We're leaving on Tuesday for a six month stint in the U.S. I'll definitely clean out the stove, but probably leave the chimney as is, since I did it one in the middle of last winter and once at the end of the burning season.

I do a quick clean in the spring, then a good, thorough clean in the fall before my 24 hour burns begin.
I will also do another quick clean in the new year.

Gotta get around to it soon.

I did mine last week. It had a bunch of shoulder season burning last spring and then burns this early fall as well. I normally just do a chimney scrub but my deep clean is to remove the in house double wall as well as remove the baffle in the stove. Nothing spectacular but I always sleep better afterwards.

going to be relocating the stove to the upstairs shortly, will clean it before we set it on the new hearth

I cleaned my Class A chimney last Saturday and added 4 feet to it. Also installed a roof brace. Next Saturday I plan to clean the liner in the masonry chimney and add more insulation around the liner and install a block off plate.

Cleaned min this Saturday past. Gorgeous day for it, sunny, warmish, no wind. This is the first year I've gotten a chance to do it before the really rotten weather started.
It seems like the last 5 years or so I've been up on the crappiest, windiest day of the fall praying that a really good gust doesn't pull me down.
This year was actually a nice treat to be up there!!
I still have to give the stove a good cleaning and may do a door gasket this year but I'm happy to be done with the outside part of this job.

Installed a damper in the double wall above the stove as well......

Last edited:
I clean mine once a year,I know I should do more but 38 feet to the top of the chase on a ladder and in the wind is no fun. I actually did it last week and it was nice out.

Attachments

• IMG_20150922_172100822_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150922_172100822_HDR.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 76
Status
Not open for further replies.