Who else cooks inside the Jotul?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soadrocks

Nov 1, 2009
Rochester, NY
Just recently we bought some cast iron pans and decided to experiment while using the Jotul. Recently, we made some corn bread and just today we made some amazing quesadillas in the stove. Anyone else cook inside the stove? We're thinking about making a pizza inside the stove next.

Attached is a picture of the quesadillas without the top. we cook 1/2, then stick the other tortilla, flip, and cook again. Came out golden brown within a few minutes.

What do people cook with their stoves???

No splatter, no mess inside the stove.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    203 KB · Views: 717
I Just had a holiday weekend at a friends cabin 2 miles off the road system in Talkeetna, Alaska. For breakfast he opened up his BlazeKing and cooked some pork chops to go with our breakfast. He regularly cooks steaks in there and has got a few "best steak ever" comments.

only problem with the pizza is it is lacking the heat on the top to brown the cheese well, otherwise it'll cook it.

pen

I dont do much cooking inside other than baking some potatoes. I cook plenty on top though. Grilled cheese on white bread cooked in a pan starting at room temp and cooked close to the pipe makes it toast at the same time it cooks and makes for a nice flaky bread!

I cook alot of homemade pizza in my electric stove on a 10 pound stone. I run at 535 degrees and most Neapolitan Pies take 15 minutes give or take. Sounds very doable as long as you preheat a stone for 30 minutes then slide a pie in.

Here is a few creations

Attachments

• pie1.jpg
    pie1.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 521
  • pie2.jpg
    pie2.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 510
  • pie3.jpg
    pie3.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 517
  • pie4.jpg
    pie4.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 510
  • pie5.jpg
    pie5.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 530
Cooked some fish wrapped in foil on a med. heat coal bed in the fall. It was scrod or haddock with lemon, butter, and spices and it was gooooood.

We bake all the time in an old antique "EZ-EST way" oven on top of our Oslo. The wife made some banana bread tonight. MMM!

That Quesadilla sounded good... Took a trip out to the camper and dug out the cast iron. Been looking for a reason to do that. Looks like it needs a bit of a cleaning & seasoning. Do you know how to do that ?
rn

http://www.ehow.com/how_5618487_cle...ce=yahoo&utm_medium=ssp&utm_campaign=yssp_art

#
Step 1

Cut an onion in half and rub your lightly rusted pan with the juice. Extract as much juice as possible and let the pan stand for half an hour before scouring with fine steel wool. If the rust does not come off easily, repeat the process and scrub with a coarser grade of steel wool.
#
Step 2

Repeat the application of onion juice when dealing with a moderate coating of rust. Follow by scrubbing with fine grit aluminum oxide or silicon carbide sandpaper.
#
Step 3

Use a wire brush or the wire brush drill bit for your power drill--inexpensively available at hardware stores--to deal with advanced rust. Once most of the rust has been removed, you can apply some onion juice and finish the job with steel wool or sandpaper.
#
Step 4

Wash the pan thoroughly with soap and water. Dry completely in a hot oven or on the stove top, being careful not to over-dry and cause your pan to smoke.
#
Step 5

Re-season your pan to restore its nonstick and rust-resistant surface by rubbing it with a light coating of fat, inside and out. Lard, bacon fat and shortening work better than oils which can sometimes produce a sticky surface. Bake the coated pans in a 250 degree oven for about 20 minutes, then wipe off any excess fat before continuing to bake the pan for another two hours.

Soadrocks,
Thanks for that fast reply. Not real big in the kitchen but i'm trying. The pan wasn't rusted but did need a good cleaning. Had taken some notes from one of those cooking shows a while back on how to clean tne pan. Was able to find them and was working on it while you replied. Could'nt you smell the smoke ? You would have loved it.......... All the windows and doors open (18 degrees outside) trying to clear the smoke........ LOL Got it going now. Came out pretty good. Working on the seasoning now.
We might just get those Quesadillas tonight after all ?
thanks
rn

ya i do pizza and potatoes and sweet potatoes. pizza comes out perfect. i do 2 small personal size ones.

hareball said:
I dont do much cooking inside other than baking some potatoes. I cook plenty on top though. Grilled cheese on white bread cooked in a pan starting at room temp and cooked close to the pipe makes it toast at the same time it cooks and makes for a nice flaky bread!

I cook alot of homemade pizza in my electric stove on a 10 pound stone. I run at 535 degrees and most Neapolitan Pies take 15 minutes give or take. Sounds very doable as long as you preheat a stone for 30 minutes then slide a pie in.

Here is a few creations

That's pizza, man!!

Status
Not open for further replies.