Who else is burning tonight?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed the house was below 60° last night when I got home, so I lit a small fire. I would think this will probably be my last of the season.

I still burn every night... my kids dont like sleeping when its below 70 in the house, all they do is complain. its only been in the low 60's here the last week or so, so i let the house drop to 64 or so before starting a fire of mostly 2x4 scraps, once that gets the house nice and warn i throw a few maple branch pieces on for the night.

Was 62F inside when I got home last night. Fired up the Englander and enjoyed a nice toasty evening. Low outside in my neck of the woods got down to 28F. Could potentially be my last fire.

Suppose to be in the mid 80's on Thurs. If you don't like the weather in New England.....just wait a minute!

All the way down to 52* in Florida last night.........i used it as an excuse to fire up the new stove.......TOASTY!

Morso 7110: with fire buring hot i reduced air volume down to about 1/4 open before secondary's fire off......does this sound about right?

Been burning daily for probably the last two weeks, but not 24x7 unless its a rainy day. Nights are still in the uper 30's and we had frost/freeze warnings the last 2 nights...lit a fire yesterday morning and kept it running all day and night, threw in some nice dry hard maple this morning to take the chill out of the air. Supposed to be in the 80's tomorrow so I'm hoping this is my last fire, but I don't knwo what it'll be like a week from now.

Its a royal pain in the fanny to try and get your next season woodpile ready for drying when you can't stop burning until almost June.

This is the shoulder season for the NW. We don't quite see 70 outside and overnight we get into the low 40s. None of those temps are high enough to get the house to the mid 70s so we must add heat somehow and the ladies of the house all want a fire. Me too. Had a small fire last night to bring the house up to 75 from 65. Likely the same thing will happen throughout the month.

All of the firewood that I bring inside now is cut down to the 2-4 inch range for rapid heat up and a reasonably cool firebox.

It was thirty five f***ing degrees last night! It's almost June. What the hell, man?! I'm suppose to start tilling, seeding, and planting this week. Stupid weather. It better not go from cold to sticky hot. I want the entire summer to be in the 70s.

Wet1 said:
BrowningBAR said:
I want the entire summer to be in the 70s.
Sounds like you better move then! :cheese:

Eh, I could get lucky.

IT was 90* here today. Haven't had a fire in awhile. Cleaned out the insert and used my new mini-compressor to clean the blowers. Called my sweep today....Looks like burning is done here!

Was hanging laundry on my line today. Looked down and there was a nice big snake patrolling my wood piles. Guess that will keep the rodent population under control. (Didn't tell my husband about the snake - he hates them and isn't too fond of the wood piles either! I consider them my wild life habitat.)
;-)

Snowed a foot today. Its kind of late even for us I mean we can get snow every month of the year but a foot towards the end of May is overdoing it. Most mornings I get away with one good load today I had 28f as a high. We are expecting a warming trend this weekend so we shall see. When we need a heat fix we just go work in the greenhouses. Even on a freezing day they run about 70f and if theres even a hint of sun they shoot to 90f. Pays to build them big with lots of heat sinks.

madrone said:
myzamboni said:
Low last 2 nights was in the 60's, so no fires in almost a month.

same here. Shorts weather. I've been staring at my woodpiles a lot, and occasionally thunking them with a finger. Probably ought to sweep the chimney...

I don't sweep until Sept.

I usually don't either, but I did anyway today. There wasn't really much of anything in there.

Tfin said:
Was 62F inside when I got home last night. Fired up the Englander and enjoyed a nice toasty evening. Low outside in my neck of the woods got down to 28F. Could potentially be my last fire.

Suppose to be in the mid 80's on Thurs. If you don't like the weather in New England.....just wait a minute!

I'm just hoping the frost followed by summer-like weather today kills off those pesky blackflies so I can work outdoors without a bug net hat.

firefighterjake said:
Tfin said:

I'm just hoping the frost followed by summer-like weather today kills off those pesky blackflies so I can work outdoors without a bug net hat.

They were horrible last Sat up in Bigham/Moscow. Headed back up tomorrow for another load of wood, so hopefully they've been beaten down.

May 18th was my first in three weeks and my last for the year. 40* when I went to bed so that meant at least 35* for a low. No frost.

I'll sweep the chimney soon and re inspect again in Sept for birds nests etc. Will get my pyro fix from here on out with the chimnea out on the patio while relaxing when I can during the summer.

I'm done . . . last fire was last week. I cleaned the stoe out last Friday and will eventually clean out the chimney and flue . . . but right now I'm a bit busy with getting some wood cut (for next year, not this year) and building a woodshed.

firefighterjake said:
I'm done . . . last fire was last week. I cleaned the stoe out last Friday and will eventually clean out the chimney and flue . . . but right now I'm a bit busy with getting some wood cut (for next year, not this year) and building a woodshed.

knock on wood

Are you burning tonight
Do you miss fire tonight
Are you sorry for Summer to start
Does memory stray, to a cold Winter day
When you lit it and watched kindling start
Does the chair by your stove, seem empty and bare
Do you gaze at the glass and picture fire there
Is your heart filled with pain, till you stoke up again
Tell me dear, are you burning tonight.

- Elvis Stovely

Wow, may 26 in NJ and there will be a (small) fire tonight.
Wacky weather!

Mid forties right now with a distinct ocean chill. Rainy, raw, and we fired up the 1991 Fireview about an hour ago. Feels nice. This is the time I think I most appreciate a woodstove!

Bobbin could not agree with you more
low 40s and rain ocean breeze makes a fire much appreciated
I nearly sprinted to the wood shed when I got home!

Tom

I got one going around noon.....it was way to cold in the house, my fingers were getting cold while typing (go figure!). I am debating if I should load her up for the night. Tomorrow they're calling for a crap day again. THIS IS MAY 27TH!!!!

Ok, you guys talked me into it, but this is the last time I'm firing my stove up this spring!

Status
Not open for further replies.