Who else is cutting this weekend?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I wasn't planning to cut but this stump needed flushed at my moms so it was a good opportunity to try out the rebuilt 360 with the new 24" bar. I'm glad I bought it now :)

Here it is. Had to noodle some into manageable chunks
009.JPG

Reactions: Woody Stover
I spent about 5 hours this morning splitting and stacking. I'm about half way through the tri axle we got last fall. I'm guessing I'll be waiting to the fall to start again as I work for a water company too and I'm usually tired of the heat by the end of the day. The pic of the hydrant sure looked refreshing though.

I've got a lot of rounds still out in the woods that need gathered up. I may hit a bit of that.

Well, I got my goals accomplished. I hauled all the rounds out of the woods and also split and stacked the maple that was part of the haul.

I got a downed maple bucked today but haven't hauled the rounds out of the woods yet. Downed Beech next. On vacation tomorrow so thinking I should do something other than processing firewood I suppose. Gotta find time to relax my wife tells me. She doesn't understand how processing firewood in the woods can be relaxing but no use trying to explain.

I was out after dinner tonight around 7 and bucked up this beetle kill lodgepole pine. My main area for wood is only a few minutes away and Im sure my family can hear the chainsaw from the house. It took me two hours on my own to buck it up and get it to the truck. During the loading of the last few rounds thunder blew up over me but I got to the truck just as the sky lit up! I came home and my wife said you got wet eh? and I told her it was sweat, I dont think more than a few drops hit me. She would have helped me but with the 6 mile walk we did yesterday and the 3 hour hike in the alpine today I wasnt wanting her to have to get into it with me. Hopefully the pics are right side up otherwise I might need some help from one of the mods. Please and thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_3510.JPG
    IMG_3510.JPG
    447.7 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_3511.JPG
    IMG_3511.JPG
    458.9 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_3512.JPG
    IMG_3512.JPG
    271.6 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_3513.JPG
    IMG_3513.JPG
    281.2 KB · Views: 162
Reactions: Applesister
You guys make me feel lazy. I'll start my cutting season in late August. I did this one year and liked it. I can easily see trees in decline by the canopy and its also easier for me to ID the trees with their leaves still attached. I've got 7 cords I want to squeeze in before the next snowstorm. lol. But I aint doing it now.

I wasn't planning on cutting anything, but my neighbor had a 22" silver maple fall in his yard due to ants eating the base. I wasn't super excited about silver maple and was going to pass until I saw that he had limbed all the small branches and moved them out of the way so all I had to do was cut anything larger than 6". And it was 1/8 mile away. So I spent Thursday evening cutting it up and took a couple truck loads of small stuff, and then got my fiance to help me load the larger rounds on Saturday. I sure was glad for temps in the low 80's!!

Does anyone know if Silver Maple gets easier to split once it's seasoned a little? I went after 2 large rounds with my Fiskars, and it took way more work than I would have hoped, it was almost as bad as splitting Sycamore.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
This is the tree beside the one that was dead standing. It looks to be the same tree. This one is dying too. Forgive the pics. The leaves look like elm to me

Last edited by a moderator:
If there's one elm in the yard there's likely to be dozens nearby. They spread via sprouts from the root system.

Heartwood looks red to me so I'm assuming its slippery "red" elm?
Pretty sure that's what you got there, but I've been wrong a time or two before. ;lol We might have winged Elm in the equation, now that you've seen smaller leaves. That looks like a nice-sized one, whatever it is. That's how I like to find 'em...no bark. :cool: A lot of them will have some fallen-off bark around the base of the tree, that's an easy way to ID 'em. I cut a Red couple days ago, about 14" DBH, but the SOB wouldn't fall...hung up almost immediately on a couple of its small branches. That Elm is tough, and even the small branches don't break off easily. We had some wind yesterday and I'm hoping that shook it loose and it fell. Probably not, though. ;hm I guess I'll get out the slingshot and try to get a rope up there so I can pull it down. Grrrrr....

Last edited:
I've been cutting for the last few weekends as well and finished my 1st holz hausen. Did it just for fun. Hopefully the next one will go faster and look better.

Before anyone asks, the pipe in the centre is there since I read elsewhere you can wrap the holz in plasic in the summer and create a kiln effect to dry the wood faster. I might try it this summer and thought it might be easier to fit the 'chimney' while I was busy stacking.

Attachments

• holz1a.jpg
    holz1a.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 178
  • holz2a.jpg
    holz2a.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 159
Reactions: Shawn Curry
I've been cutting for the last few weekends as well and finished my 1st holz hausen. Did it just for fun. Hopefully the next one will go faster and look better.

Before anyone asks, the pipe in the centre is there since I read elsewhere you can wrap the holz in plasic in the summer and create a kiln effect to dry the wood faster. I might try it this summer and thought it might be easier to fit the 'chimney' while I was busy stacking.

Looks pretty darn good to me. Been wanting to try that myself with the pipe and all but just don't think my stacking area is flat enought.

Heading out to cut as soon as I quit screwing around on here. 54::F right now!!!!

fv

finished my 1st holz hausen.
:cool: Some big splits in there.
don't think my stacking area is flat enough.
That's my issue and I'm wondering if I have to level the base, will it settle and crash the Holz.
54::F right now!!!!
Stayed over 60 here. I would have thought we would be close but maybe we just caught the edge of the cool air here.
Haven't heard much from Rebelduck recently...he must have shut it down like he was talking about...

Here's what I'll be working on this weekend. Two hickorys and a willow oak that blew down on my neighbor's property.
In the first picture the cut on the far right was made just about the fork and my 16 inch bar would not go through, the other hickory is almost that large and the oak not so much probably only about 15 inches at the base. Should be a bunch of wood if I can get it all.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    407.7 KB · Views: 178
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    444.6 KB · Views: 161
Reactions: Shawn Curry
Very nice score there. Willow oak is one of the hardest oaks.

Wish I was hauling wood this weekend; unfortunately I need to finish demolishing my old mobile home before the end of the month, so that's what I'll be doing all weekend. Don't want to pay rent on a steel frame and a couple empty sheds.

Very nice score there. Willow oak is one of the hardest oaks.

Wish I was hauling wood this weekend; unfortunately I need to finish demolishing my old mobile home before the end of the month, so that's what I'll be doing all weekend. Don't want to pay rent on a steel frame and a couple empty sheds.
The only problem is it stinks when it's green, other than that it's very good wood.
OK, those leaves look more ovate...
They are about 4 inches long and about 3/8ths inches wide. Don't have a better pic to show of them if I remember I'll take a picture of them tomorrow.

:):)
:cool: Some big splits in there.
That's my issue and I'm wondering if I have to level the base, will it settle and crash the Holz.
Stayed over 60 here. I would have thought we would be close but maybe we just caught the edge of the cool air here.
Haven't heard much from Rebelduck recently...he must have shut it down like he was talking about...

Had alot going on woody but things are getting back to normal now. I see a 60 one morning next week. I may have to bring the stihl out of hibernation!

cutting and splitting done this weekend

Attachments

• IMG_1151.jpg
    IMG_1151.jpg
    388.2 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_1153.jpg
    IMG_1153.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_1161.jpg
    IMG_1161.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 188
Too hot to don chaps and cut, but I can split in shorts! I split about 1/2 cord on Friday afternoon. Was hot, sticky, and buggy... but a few hours in the woods beats just about any other type of work on a hot, sunny day.

Got a small yardbird mulberry cut up today, and have a dead redoak to collect tomorrow in a neighbor's yard if the storms hold off. It fell in her koi pond.:eek: Almost got the garage. Relatives were dicing it up, but she needs the wood gone :):):) none of 'em burn!

Status
Not open for further replies.