Who else is cutting this weekend?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been bringing home a few pieces here and there, 1/2 to full pickup load from the job I'm on. There's a few elm and ash limbs that blew down, not as much as I'd hoped. Been giving the 025 some work and sold the 391 (since the 360 seems to be working fine) to a kid that's working for me that only had a 170. I have about 1.5 cord in rounds stacked up to split when its cooler out. I feel naked with one less saw now, have to keep my eye out for the next bargain ==c

With the 025 and 360 in hand, it's time to shop for big boy saws now, chumley. No sense in having another 60 cc saw.

I recommend 064/066/660 as the perfect compliment to that 360.

Reactions: D8Chumley
Thats why I sold the 391. My buddy has an 084 w/4' bar he keeps trying to sell me. Don't need that big, but an 066 would be nice to have ;)

I have to say, that 025 is more than I thought it would be. Thats a nice little firewood saw with the 16" bar and I keep it in the work truck with me just in case...
EDIT: If you know anyone needing an 084 I can put you in touch with him. He's one of my best friends, and has CAD like me but he has at least 2x the saws I have. Thats the bar that has been set for me, LOL

You don't want an 084. Been there, done that. It's not a fun saw, being WAY too slow and heavy for normal cutting, versus an 064/066. When you need a motor to power a 60" bar for felling redwoods, the 084 is your saw, but it sucks for just about anything less.

Thats what I told him, I have no use for that big of a saw. I don't even want to cut wood that big that I'd need it. Whats your thoughts on a 440/441 or 461? 72 to 76cc. I don't know if I would need a 660/661 but if the price is right...

a few hours in the woods beats just about any other type of work on a hot, sunny day.
Agreed. At least in the woods, you've got shade. A bit of breeze, and it's not bad at all.
thoughts on a 440/441 or 461? 72 to 76cc.
My 460 w/25" will eat, and guys put a 32" skip chain on 'em, although I haven't tried that yet...

Hee hee, come down here man and try my woods. I was soaking wet after a half hour out at 7 this morning.:)
I don't usually go out that early since that is peak humidity time. I try to go out in the early afternoon, and hope for some breeze. I know what you mean, though; I got soaked getting that last load of Red Elm out. Oh well, that's the price we pay for living where it's wet and warm, but the payoff is in the variety of quality woods we get to burn. ==c

Reactions: Rebelduckman
Wood stack by rhe pond looking great.The wind and sun is doing its work. Wood is graying and drying out really well. I believe this stack will be more than ready to go 20140727_154142.jpg 20140727_154137.jpg 20140727_154101.jpg

Last edited:
Whats your thoughts on a 440/441 or 461? 72 to 76cc. I don't know if I would need a 660/661 but if the price is right...
A 440 / 441 is the perfect saw for a two-saw plan. If you have a line on one, you can sell your 360 and just go 025 with 441.

If you plan to keep the 360, then the 441 makes less sense, being as they're so close together. The 441 is too small to be a good "big saw", for tackling things that are too big for your 360, being only 15% more displacement.

I'm really happy with my 064. A big saw, but still rips crazy fast. People are always amazed how fast that saw will buck up a 30" diameter tree. I've seen a few mentions on forums that the 064 has the highest power to weight ratio of any saw Stihl ever made, but the published spec's show there are several that tie with the 064 for that title, so I'm not sure that's true.

Others with 066's seem to like them, too, but I have seen several mentions of them being a little too heavy for prolonged use. The 064 doesn't seem too bad on weight.

I'd not go any smaller than 85cc (36% larger), when shopping for a mate for the 360.

Last edited:
I don't usually go out that early since that is peak humidity time. I try to go out in the early afternoon, and hope for some breeze. I know what you mean, though; I got soaked getting that last load of Red Elm out. Oh well, that's the price we pay for living where it's wet and warm, but the payoff is in the variety of quality woods we get to burn. ==c
Down here in the south peak humidity time is all 24 hours of the day:eek:.

Just had a major storm in our neck of the woods, resulting in many down trees and cardboard signs with "Free Wood" written on them. Needless to say, I'll be stacking :)

Reactions: Woody Stover
Started working on a split cherry tree last night. Friends want it gone so I agreed. It's split down the middle but still attached at the root. I've been cutting limbs and branches off with the hopes of it dropping the rest of the way. It's sort of gone but not all the way. I was standing there while my daughter picked up some limbs and I felt the ground pop underneath me from the roots moving, pretty cool! If the rain holds off we should get it cut most of the way tonight.

fv

Wood stack by rhe pond looking great.The wind and sun is doing its work. Wood is graying and drying out really well. I believe this stack will be more than ready to go
Good deal! In a couple of months, when you heft a few splits and they feel really light, you know it's getting really dry. Great pics; I feel like I'm standing right there looking at the stack. >>
Down here in the south peak humidity time is all 24 hours of the day:eek:.
It's 85 here, with 40% humidity, a great day to listen to wood dry. ==c Looks like you've got an overcast 79 with 67% humidity...a bit steamy, but the next couple of days look like mid 80s with humidity down into the 40s and a light breeze....get ready to stack more wood! ==c
I've been cutting limbs and branches off with the hopes of it dropping the rest of the way. It's sort of gone but not all the way.
Careful with that one, fv! :oops:

Get to fire-up the saw and run a brand new splitter this weekend. Good times!

Status
Not open for further replies.