Who else is throwing in the towel early and closing up their pellet burner for the season?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did a 3/4 clean of the stove last weekend, but it hasn't been on much the past couple of days (65-75 °F outside).

As others have said, it ends when it ends. Farmers Almanac is calling for a big snow storm (I was told) at the end of March.....hope not. >:-(

oldmountvernon said:
jtakeman said:
Dang OMV, Wish my lawn was a green as yours! Mines a brown mess right now. Dethatched yesterday afternoon and did the weed and feed. Got some rain this morning, But still drab brown!

I got crabs! Crab grass that is! My neighbor doesn't give a hoot and it keeps spreading to mine. he wasn't home I spread the crab killer on most of his too! ;-P

wait for a windy day in that direction and let it rip ;)

I made my own wind, Does that count? :cheese: More of a toot than a rip though!

imacman said:
Farmers Almanac is calling for a big snow storm (I was told) at the end of March.....hope not. >:-(

Been kind of expecting it, But hope it doesn't happen either. Least when or if it does, It won't hang around to long!

I'm just barely over 2 tons used. Still got plenty of fuel left. But really low on shoulders stuff. I'm still looking for a sub $190 deal on shoulders. Last seasons price spoiled the crap out of me!

I'm OCD about my lawn as well, so all the better. The thread has a Spring "tone" to it anyway ;).

I was glad to see that my lawn managed to make it through the Winter with very little damage - no snow mold, vole damage was minimal, and the grubs seem to have been wiped out by the lack of snow cover (snow just insulates all the crap that destroys lawns in the NE US).

ChrisWNY said:
I'm OCD about my lawn as well, so all the better. The thread has a Spring "tone" to it anyway ;).

I was glad to see that my lawn managed to make it through the Winter with very little damage - no snow mold, vole damage was minimal, and the grubs seem to have been wiped out by the lack of snow cover (snow just insulates all the crap that destroys lawns in the NE US).

Nice.... Glad the apology was not needed then! :lol:

Having a nice yard takes hours and hours of work. So much goes into it. But everytime you pull in and see what you have done, you get rewarded with the sight of your work.

I made a memorial garden for my In-Laws (both passed) last year. Its kinda in the shape of a heart. (Me and My Wife can see it anyways). But we have several large islands throughout our yard. Last year was just over 12 yards of mulch. This year will be more... Lots of work...

Attachments

• index-34.jpeg
    index-34.jpeg
    40.9 KB · Views: 236
  • index-40.jpeg
    index-40.jpeg
    41.9 KB · Views: 235
Beautiful yard Dex... Love the memorial garden, Sounds like your wife's parents left you way to soon!!

Now, about the OCD...You gotta switch up the direction of your cut!! :coolhmm:

smoke show said:
Its a weed. No?
It's a nightmare, that stuff makes seeds like crazy goes dormate until fall when it germinates, pushes out every thing else, including multiflora rose. you local farm fertilizer dealer probably has something to deal with it,but let your good grass get taller in the fall, mowing short 1 1/2" on the last cuttting and it can't get a foothold.

Have only been running the stove for a bit here and there lately, but I do not
plan to close it up quite yet. As soon as I did, winter would be back full force.

This winter has been a treat as I have only burned through about half of what I usually
do this far into the season.

mepellet said:
I have something that looks like that all over my back lawn.... how do you try to fight it?

You don't. Manual weeding, repeatedly.

Commercial lawn care places around here won't even guarantee its demise.

DexterDay said:
Last year was just over 12 yards of mulch. This year will be more...

:bug: You'll regret all that work later in life.

mepellet said:
smoke show said:
Maybe its the photo, but they look a little crooked to me. ;-)

Around here we fight with creeping charlie. http://en.wiki.org/wiki/Glechoma_hederacea

I have something that looks like that all over my back lawn.... how do you try to fight it?

My grandfather called that weed "Jill on the ground" Never knew it by any other. Anyway you can rid yourself of it if you use any weed and feed product. I always get a total wipe out of that stuff, but in about 5 years, I have to repeat the process. I hate to use the weed and feed as I have to shut the dogs in their kennel area for a couple days. I don't trust that the won't get the darn stuff on their paws and lick it.
I use the liquid weed killer stuff with a hose. Its says it is safe after it dries, and I know the next day that weed is black. the next time you cut the grass, you will never know you had the stuff.

Eatonpcat said:
Beautiful yard Dex... Love the memorial garden, Sounds like your wife's parents left you way to soon!!

Now, about the OCD...You gotta switch up the direction of your cut!! :coolhmm:

Way to soon. Although I am over 30 (yep, much younger than most would have thought), my Wife isnt. She lost her Father almost 10 yrs ago (August) and her Mom 2 yrs ago (August also).

She is the strongest Woman I know. God Bless her.... Im thankful everyday for my family. You never know what life will bring you.

Smoke- I regret the work now. From my riding days (still ride), I broke numerous bones, pulled muscles, torn liniments, etc.. I feel much older than I truly am.. Me and the Kid ride, but its just recreational. No racing.

My kid rides at 125cc Typhoon (I can do donuts on my asphalt driveway and it not flip, because its so wide) and I have a Honda 400 EX (big bore 440 kit, Hot cam, Ported, Just Mod'ed up).. Also have a Honda Rancher 4x4....

As long as we're completely destroying this thread, We like to recreational ride too.

But its gotta be a v-twin Kawie. ;-)

Even try to sink a Yamie every now and again. :lol:

Attachments

• 637.jpg
    637.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 204
  • 639.jpg
    639.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 202
  • 20236_1313678438546_1128219055_30974001_5619848_n.jpg
    20236_1313678438546_1128219055_30974001_5619848_n.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 196
oldmountvernon said:
i had a Brute Force 750 man that thing was nasty for a 4x4 utility

Had?

Kawie introduced the big bore machines to the market in 02, and thats what you see in my pic an 02 and 03.

The predecessor to the 650 BF sra.

I'd like to get a Teryx, but my checkbook says no.

I used to hang out over at Kawieriders and Nyroc atv under a diff screen name.

Now mostly just here, pickin on you guys. ;-P

Thursday Night
Partly Cloudy
Low 20°F

Love this thread, did yard work all day until I watched my sons soccer game at 9PM, my kids might be older than Dexter,

still burnin here (dutchess cty, n.y.) my only heat option is my pellets, unless the power goes out and then i have kerosene. i havent been burning during the day, and the rooms that we normally close up for the brutal winter to save on pellets are now open :-D

i'll probably keep the stove operational till the beginning of may, when i take the stove apart, clean, put new gaskets and seal it up. I take out its venting and put a portable air conditioner vent in the same hole.

as for the lawn, its starting to turn green again although soon it will be a giant mess of dandelions and other weeds that migrate from the neighbors who dont care/cant afford to maintain the lawn.

i have bulbs that have already came up and have flower on them. apple trees have buds. hedges have buds. there is a pond across the road that is full of tree frogs making a MASSIVE racket and they usually dont until the end of may. crickets are out already too. this is so weird!

what im dreading is the massive amounts of mosquitos that i fear werent damaged by the winter which usually resets their population. last summer after the hurricane you could not stay outside for 5 seconds due to them.

Mine hasnt been on for 4 days, but I dont think I will shut down for the season just yet, I'm sure there will be some chilly days and nights yet. The past 4 seasons I've burned pellets, I've still had to use them well into April here. This 70 degree weather is nice but it's just not normal, I think it will cool down again soon.

I'm hoping my pellet supply guy has them at just as good a price as the past 3 years that I have got them.

Not shut down yet but this will be the first time EVER I will carry over about 1 Ton out of my 4 purchased for this season....Oh well they will be fine for next year!

smoke show said:
:bug: You'll regret all that work later in life.
Aint that the truth. Going thru it now with my knees :coolgrin:

robert65 said:
Not shut down yet but this will be the first time EVER I will carry over about 1 Ton out of my 4 purchased for this season....Oh well they will be fine for next year!

Oh noes, they are expired pellets and must be disposed of properly, please send any leftover pellets to Eric at Kinsman Stoves, the pigs will see to it that they get properly disposed of.

Add me as one of those who is likely done burning for the season. We may get the occasional cold snap later in March or even in early April (which doesn't matter much because the family and I are gone in SW FL most of April), but I think it's time to shut her down for the season. I went through about 1.5 tons of pellets this season, I expected to burn through over 2 tons. I only burn during evenings as no one is home during the day, and on weekends, so my pellet consumption is low to moderate at best. With 70s in the forecast next week, it seems like Spring is here real early this year. March 2011 was not as mild as this March has been, but it wasn't bad (we didn't have much measurable snow).

Anyone else closing down their pellet burning operations within the next week or two?

Nope.. I know we are going to have a couple cold snaps yet... they are calling for 40's next weekend here...probably wont shut it down totally till may..

I don't burn pellets, but the woodstove is still running 24/7 at my house. It's been getting up into the low 30s during the day, but at night it usually down to single digits.

I ignite the stove at night till 9 in the morning. With 65 degree days the stove is not needed, but with 40 degree nights, it can be a bit chilly in the morning if the heat isn't on. Still laughing at all my propane neighbors.

Status
Not open for further replies.