who else moves this years wood closer....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

My Oslo heats my home

Minister of Fire
Sep 20, 2010
South Shore, MA
Who else moves this years wood supply closer to the house? and how and when do you get it there??

I have a 12x12 covered porch off the rear of the house. From ground level there is a 7 step staircase to the porch. Over the last 6 years I have brought up 3 cords and stacked it on the deck. It takes me about 2 weeks to move the 3 cords, a little here and a few hours there and 2 weeks later its done.

I have to say walking out the back door in my slippers to retrieve wood on a snowy cold morning works for me. despite the work it takes in October it is well worth it.

does anyone else have a system simular to this, moving wood close to the house??

Reactions: aussiedog3
I kinda sort of do the same thing.

I move the wood from the stacks outside to a woodshed . . . maybe 40-50 feet away . . . during the spring or summer.

Then, this time of year, I often bring up a few loads of wood every few days to my rack on my back covered porch. In a few more months I will be loading up the porch wood rack . . . I generally don't do that until we get some pretty cold weather to insure the bugs are dormant before bringing a lot of wood close to the home.

I load 10 face cords into the basement every fall.
My small trailer holds a fc with it just thrown in..pull it with the wheeler 200 ft away right to the walk out basement door.
And nope..no prop with bugs that we notice.
Oh and 95% of our heating is from wood.
I had a 1/2 fc left from last season.

Three years ago I built a shed right outside the back door. I move three cord into it as soon as we are through burning in the Spring. I also built a generator shed onto the end of it.

Reactions: gyrfalcon
I bring about 2 cords onto my covered porch every 2 months. Makes for easy access, less than 10 feet from the door and another 10 to the insert.

I put a full cord right outside my garage door, garage is in back yard, and I put about 1/5 of a cord on my back deck which is covered by an awning and is a bout 10 ft away from my stove, I had to wheelbarrow it through my living room but that was easy enough......

My system is very similar to yours. I move a double row, 12' long X 6' high, from the main wood pile, about 50' to a covered deck next to the house. From under the deck during the burn season I carry the wood up one level where I can store a week of wood on a covered deck. I try not to burn wood off the under the deck pile until we get snow on the ground.
I am planning a hoist to lift wood from the ground to the side deck.

I put all 3 cord on the covered patio every fall. We then cover the sides of the patio with a tarp to keep the blowing snow and rain out. Results in nice dry wood all winter, not much view but it works!

I move two or three rows, stacked to the ceiling, against the far wall of the garage. Each row is two cords. I thought I'd be parking a car in that bay, which is why I stacked two rows this year. There are a couple of cords on the driveway, in a top covered stack and some trash cans.

3 cords could be a little heavy on a covered porch, or not?

I move 2 cords with my tractor to a overhang outside my front door. I won't start to burn that stack until Dec 1. Before that I bring up smaller loads and have other stacks. The dec 1 start on the 2 cords means that I can make it through the worst of the winter before bringing up more. I burn about 4 cords in a year.

I have two 12' log racks on my deck that I stack about 5-6' high if I had to guess don't really know it's about 1 - 1 1/2 cords then I have a 4' rack that I have in my den where I do the burning that I stack I will fill it from the stack I have in the yard until it gets very cold and brutal out then I replenish my inside rack from the two on my deck works out well

I grew up moving about 5 to 6 cord into my grandparents basement every fall. With well seasoned wood we never had a problem.

First year in my new house I did not have well seasoned wood and moved about a cord and a 1/2 in. That was a HUGE mistake as I had THOUSANDS of beetles emerge daily for several weeks. During this time, I had to daily vacuum about a 1/4 inch of the little buggers from each window sill on that level. Hundreds would cling onto the light chains on basement lights, etc, it was terrible.

Anymore, the wood is well seasoned and I keep about a week and a 1/2 worth of wood (in the worst weather) near the stove in a wood rack I built at a time. I divided this up into two segments so I usually reload with a few wheel barrow loads every week. If it were not for the segments, I'd never burn the lower pieces of wood unless I let the rack go empty, which I do not.

pen

Wood belongs out doors or in the fire..... Storing wood indoors leads to problems all..... Thanks for the story Pen....

I load 10 face cords into the basement every fall.
My small trailer holds a fc with it just thrown in..pull it with the wheeler 200 ft away right to the walk out basement door.
And nope..no prop with bugs that we notice.
Oh and 95% of our heating is from wood.
I had a 1/2 fc left from last season.
10 cords is alot

Wood belongs out doors or in the fire..... Storing wood indoors leads to problems all..... Thanks for the story Pen....

I have been loading dry seasoned wood for years in the basement which is unfinished and like i said no problems.
I'm sure there are creepy crawly things down there but I don't see them.
I do try to wait till a heavy frost before putting the wood down there bit I doubt that makes a big diff.
Maybe we just been lucky since 1986.

I put all 3 cord on the covered patio every fall. We then cover the sides of the patio with a tarp to keep the blowing snow and rain out. Results in nice dry wood all winter, not much view but it works!
I didn't mention that earlier, I also over the sides of the porch with plastic. Just as you have said, it keeps the rain and snow out.

I move two or three rows, stacked to the ceiling, against the far wall of the garage. Each row is two cords. I thought I'd be parking a car in that bay, which is why I stacked two rows this year. There are a couple of cords on the driveway, in a top covered stack and some trash cans.

3 cords could be a little heavy on a covered porch, or not?
Good question. My framing of the porches floor joists are 2x12, 12" OC. The last 18" is cantilevered and is held up by 4 4x6 posts. It's fairly solid.

I hear close to 1000 pounds/face cord depending..you do the math.
heavy!

I bring 2-3 cords of firewood into my basement every year around Nov.15.

I move cord and 1/2 into the woodshed attached to the mudroom by hand cart. I do this when I figure the snakes are gone for the winter ;em Rinse and repeat when that is empty until Spring.

My wood pile is about 100ft from the house and is stacked in a double row along a fence.

I try not to burn until around Nov. 1. When I do I start with small 2-3" rounds that were the large branches and then move on to the chunks and uglies. I carry 3-4 rubbermaid totes onto the porch once or twice a week. This probably adds up to a quarter to a half cord.

Around Dec. 1 I fill my pickup with wood and drive it to the house. I stack about 3/4 cord spread out on my rickety old farmers porch. I then stack about 1.25 cords in front of my farmers porch on pallets and covered with a tarp.

This wood will last until March-April depending on how cold the winter is. By this time the snow is starting to melt and I can go back to filling up the rubbermaid totes once or twice a week for another month. Overall I'll go through 2.5-3 cords depending on the severity of the winter. We heat with 90% wood, 10% gas.

I'll hopefully be rebuilding the farmers porch and adding a 12x12 deck to the back of the house next year. It should be strong enough to hold all the wood at once.

We have a rack near the back door that will hold about 1 1/2 face cords. This time of the year, we just walk to the main stack to fill the crate by the stove which holds enough for a day or three depending on how much we run the stove. We get a few days throughout the winter when the weather breaks to move wood from the main stacks to the rack. This is the first year doing that. Last year we had a couple pallets by the back door we filled up at the beginning of the season and one we refilled once or twice during. the year before was our first year and we filled our sun porch and side room (now laundry room) with wood and ecobricks. We'll get a system decided on one of these years, lol.

My grandparents used to use their fireplace a lot, and would load several cords into their basement every year. Once a snake came in (garter) but that's about it. Never had problems and they did that for years. And it was a basement, not a cellar-he used it as a workshop, they stored everything they canned on racks down there, there was a root cellar and the laundry area was down there. So it was used, and my grandma wouldn't have had any part of bugs or snakes hanging out down there because of the wood. When they got older and used the fireplace less, they had racks in the attached garage.

Moved 1/8 cord to my sister's house 1 mile up the street last night.
Little wood rack with a cover.
She's on her own for the next 15 moves unless we set up some pallets there somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.