Who else plans to heat 100% with wood heat this year??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockey

Minister of Fire
Dec 18, 2007
SW Ohio
If I make it this year it will be my first full heating season sans the help of propane. In the past I was ttrying to heat our house with a medium sized Energy King catalytic insert and it was effective until it got into the teens. I had some suggestions from some of the board memebers to heat with both a stove in the basement and the insert on the first floor. I recently bought an Englander 30 stove for the basement and plan to add foam insulation to the walls before the cold weather gets here. i have at least 17 cords of wood and am a bit anxious for a real test possible in Dec or Jan when it dips into the single digits. With both going I hope to keep the house nice and toasty. If it doesn't work then I will look into a wood furnace for next winter. Who is with me on the 08-09 heating season with 100% wood heat!

Won't be any different in this house than it has been since 1985. We don't have any other heat source but wood. There is a heat pump but it died sometime in the past from lack of use.

I wish there was another way. I am getting too old for this stuff. I would like to just get up and set the thermostat.

BrotherBart said:
Won't be any different in this house than it has been since 1985. We don't have any other heat source but wood. There is a heat pump but it died sometime in the past from lack of use.

I wish there was another way. I am getting too old for this stuff. I would like to just get up and set the thermostat.

Crap BB--that gett`in the wood will keep you young like me. What the hell else are you gonna do with your time? Fly up here and water my flowers?/ Don`t think so , lot of acid in that last watering job you did, way ,way too much :p

Rockey said:
If I make it this year it will be my first full heating season sans the help of propane. In the past I was ttrying to heat our house with a medium sized Energy King catalytic insert and it was effective until it got into the teens. I had some suggestions from some of the board memebers to heat with both a stove in the basement and the insert on the first floor. I recently bought an Englander 30 stove for the basement and plan to add foam insulation to the walls before the cold weather gets here. i have at least 17 cords of wood and am a bit anxious for a real test possible in Dec or Jan when it dips into the single digits. With both going I hope to keep the house nice and toasty. If it doesn't work then I will look into a wood furnace for next winter. Who is with me on the 08-09 heating season with 100% wood heat!
I do, I do. :ahhh:

BrotherBart said:
I would like to just get up and set the thermostat.

Isn't that what the pellet stove was for?

ME! (well, 99.9%, anyway) We have an electric forced air furnace, and our electric rates are really pretty reasonable, so it's a viable backup, but that's all we consider it to be. Last winter we turned it on a few (4-5) times for a bit (20-30 minutes), but other than that, we're just woodburners. We have no NG or propane or oil here, and that suits me just fine. Rick

I am gonna try. This is my first year heating with wood. I it gonna be a hard task in my house as the stove is in one corner of the house and getting the heat to circulate will be tough. Propane is my other heat source but basically, I can't afford it so I will use very little if i have it my way!!

There was a good thread going about ceiling fans and heat circulation, but for some reason it got closed down. To bad, we were learning something!

After well over $4000 in oil heat this past year, we will be burning wood full time. I imagine next year it will be close to $5000 for the oil. We only have 1600 sf to heat, but it is a open floor plan with high A-frame ceilings. Very few doors in the house. I am sure that there will be a time or three that the furnace gets kicked on, but very seldom. I have a new oil heater and a propane stove upstairs, but they will be just back up if for some reason we can't do the wood burning.

I'd say 95% wood heat for me. I run my gas furnace once in awhile just to make sure it still works. When I get old like BB, I'll probably retire down to FL somewhere and won't have to worry about winter anymore.

This will be our first year with two stoves. The hope is that the heat pump doesn't come on at all. I hope I can brag one day (like Brother Bart) that the heat pump died for lack of use. Typically it only kicked on when the temps were below 55 in the house. That equated to temperatures of 15 degrees or less outside. The heat pump is not doing much of anything at that point other than firing up the 20 kilowatt heater pak. I hope the second stove will help with our temps when it's that cold.

Todd said:
I'd say 95% wood heat for me. I run my gas furnace once in awhile just to make sure it still works. When I get old like BB, I'll probably retire down to FL somewhere and won't have to worry about winter anymore.
NW Wisconsin- now that's real cold.

We did the past 3 years. However, we added radiant flooring in the new addition as a backup to the woodstoves. We'll use it if we're away overnite or extended periods of time. It'll be nice to add a little flexibility.

Todd said:
When I get old like BB, I'll probably retire down to FL somewhere and won't have to worry about winter anymore.

Can't light a stove and stop a hurricane old son. Just start buying wood.

sonnyinbc said:
Crap BB--that gett`in the wood will keep you young like me. What the hell else are you gonna do with your time?

What? Writing checks to the guy that delivers C/S/D keeps ya young? That's like saying writing a check to the gas company keeps ya young. :lol:

We'll see how it goes with the gentle giant this year. We have enough wood for sure. But I suspect we'll be using the heat pump until it gets into the lower 40's outside, except for nights. It's super efficient and costs very little to run until it gets below freezing outside.

100% wood is a noble objective--but in most cases not realistic. I`m content with our 4 level home to have cut my dependence on oil and propane in half. That is good enough for me, unless we decide to sell and build a tiny little 1000 sq.ft cabin with a wood stove in the centre.

Of course that means leaving our neighbourhood, good friends, and starting all over again. Not likely!! Your home is what it is, you know the place where your kids grew up, lots of fond memories,etc. And hopefully, remaining there as long as humanly possible. Before I get too concerned with heating with 100% wood, well, they will have to carry me out of here in a coffin. Cause 100% ain`t possible, and I ain`t going anywhere soon. ;-P

Least not that I am aware of. :coolsmirk:

I will be 100% wood heat this year also. Can't wait to fire up the new Oslo in a few months. 8

It is possible - that's my plan too. Once we get the EKO 40 up, I hope to never burn oil again. As it is now, I'm lucky if I have 5 gallons left in my dual 330s. I'm just not gonna pay!

I'm in BB's boat, dead furnace=100% wood heat for the second year now. The only drawback is not being able to go anyplace overnight.

I'm about 95% wood heat. We have a propane stove that is on a thermostat which runs when we are gone for a few days and don't want to leave the pets without heat. Other than that, it's wood all the way. I actually miss it a little bit over the summer and am looking forward to heating again with wood.

I'm spending the winter offgrid and wood heat is my only option. As soon as I get a woodstove installed that is. I've got 4 cords now and plan on having another 4 or 5 delivered.

Haven't lived with wood heat since I was a kid back home.

This will be the second year for all wood heat in this house. Last year we done it with this lil fire place. This year the fireplace will be replace with a Lopi stove. Our last house was heated with coal and wood.

During the last 3 heating season I've reduced my oil consumption by approximately 85% by burning approximately 4 1/2 tons of pellets annually. That's about as good as I can get considering the oil burner is used when we're away from home for more than a day, and I just feel comfortable turning the oil burner on now and then to get all the fluids moving.

Status
Not open for further replies.