Who else plans to heat 100% with wood heat this year??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I heated 100% with wood last year. It was my first year with an insert.

This year I'm not sure. It depends how much of my insulation job I get done and how well this slab wood burns.

I put in a new to me 100,000 btu 80% furnace. It's alot smaller than the one I took out, but this one works. The other one was iffy. It was a 1964 model.

I really don't want to burn 100% with wood this year. I did well but I woke up to some cold mornings. Here's my over analyzed plan.

At current rates, my new to me furnace costs 1.20 and hour to run. Two hours a day will give me a 72.00 gas bill plus taxes and fees. I want to stay between one and two hours a day of it running. I'm also figuring running only in Jan, Feb, and Mar. That will cost me between 108.00 and 216.00 for the year. To me that's well worth it to be comfortable, and I'm sure there are alot of people in the country who would love to have a heating bill that cheap.

Keep in mind. This wood burning stuff should have an enjoyment factor to it.

karl said:
Keep in mind. This wood burning stuff should have an enjoyment factor to it.

There is. That day in the Spring when you shut down the stove for the season. :lol:

We plan to heat with "mostly" wood. Our Tribute heats the upstairs pretty well, and should be the main heat source this winter. It actually does a better job then I thought it would. This is more stove then people give it credit. :wow: The basement is heated with space heaters to keep the pipes from freezing. A second stove for the basement is somewhere in the future, but $ will dictate when.

I hope I can sustain a warm house all winter with just the stove, a match, and a boatload of cherry.

I'm shooting for 95% this first year. The oil furnace does the DHW and I'd like to get that on a timer this fall and maybe go to solar DHW next year. But will keep the furnace for back up if I have some sick days and don't want to haul a whole lot of wood in. Sure can't do 100% on oil, anyway! Some people are going to be wondering if they can heat their house or eat this winter, I'm afraid. :(

I would say about 85% from my wood burning stove, 13% from my pellet stove and the last 2% from NG. I run the furnace once a month just to make sure it works. I have lived in this house for 6 years now and never have used the NG 100%. Wood heat is alot of work, getting the wood, cutting , splitting, stacking, ete. but so is going to work to make the extra money for the NG.

For the last 7 years, I've used my Tarm boiler to almost eliminate winter oil fill ups. But on the coldest of winter nights, it struggled to keep up and my oil burner would kick on during the wee hours of the morning. I bought an Avalon Olympic wood stove in April and I really believe it will take some pressure off the Tarm and keep the house warmer. I guess the only oil we really burn now is for our summer water use.

100 % Wood
Backup- Wood
Plan C- More Wood

Nice and comfortable last year- got the wife's 91 year old Mother living with us... so it has to stay warm.
Basement maybe a little too warm.
'Not a peney to the Oilman !'

Wildsourdough said:
100 % Wood
Backup- Wood
Plan C- More Wood

This is our plan. Has worked for the past 7 years. I'm sure we will make it through.

Let winds blow, the winter storms brew, The snow pile to the eves. We will be warm and cozy.
This winter it's let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.

Wildsourdough said:
100 % Wood
Backup- Wood
Plan C- More Wood

Nice and comfortable last year- got the wife's 91 year old Mother living with us... so it has to stay warm.
Basement maybe a little too warm.
'Not a peney to the Oilman !'

Harumph. My plan B and C are the same as yours considering we ran out of propane back in March and haven't filled up since.

Well we have been 100% for 37 years. The new change is a t6. We are colder than some and have been burning short hot 1 and 1/2 hour fires every other morning. Works great and I noticed some worry about smoldering off season fires. Just put in a small load, two 7" north south splits and a little extra kindling. The t6 heats up nice and no smoldering as we leave the air open and you have to use "dry wood". It helps to have a well insulated home don't think this would work for a drafty barn.

Status
Not open for further replies.