Who else prefers burning softwood while you're at home?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

westkywood

Feeling the Heat
Oct 14, 2009
Kentucky
I know some on here only have access to softwood, so you have no choice. I have access to both, but I find that burning softwood when I'm at home, I get more consistent heat. Maple has got to be one of my favorite burning woods. It doesnt coal up like Oak or Hickory ( hardwoods ), so I can re load the stove sooner. I use my hardwood for over night burns or when I'm gone to work all day.
The down side is it takes the same effort to cut, split and stack the softwood as it does hardwood but the softwood burns about 2/3 less time. But, over all it's worth it to me because I stay warmer on colder days.
Advantages of softwoods are, it's best for burning down the coals, starting fires and it seasons quickly. I try to keep at least 2 cords on hand each year.

The terms hardwood and softwood aren't very accurate though. For instance poplar in its many forms are all hardwoods, but are softer than southern yellow pine, which is a very hard softwood.

Understand Maple is actually a hardwood. Guess I should have worded it different. Like Cherry, it's a hardwood, but burns like a softwood.

Like Cherry, it's a hardwood, but burns like a softwood.
Really? I've always had pretty good success with Cherry.

I like burning soft stuff when I'm home. Especially since I bought 2 cords for $140 delivered! It burns great at that price.>>

Reactions: westkywood
I'm burning Silver Maple this winter as I have 6 cords from taking down two monster maples last year... even though it's a hard wood,,,it's the less desirable of the Maple family..Ash Leaf Maple (Box Elder) I believe is in the same boat as Silver Maple,,less dense wood fiber..It all burns!

I use pine during the time. Full load will get me 4-5 hours. Then I safe good hard wood for bed time.

Especially since I bought 2 cords for $140 delivered! It burns great at that price
Holy unreal price Batman! Here they charge between $140 and $200 (depending on the time of the year) per cord for pine...Douglas Fir is what people really go after here (which is the most expensive) but Lodge Poll or Ponderosa is often what you get when you buy....Thus why I cut my own. If I get caught short a cord or so and HAVE to buy then I make sure I have some cedar and Doug Fir mixed a bit.

The guy that I bought it from said that as soon as he mentioned "pine and poplar" people nearly hung up on him! The load has a lot of hickory and some Oak in it too. But people around here are scared of pine, no matter the cost.

I like burning pine and silver maple when I'm home. It burns so different than oak and locust.

I have noticed a huge difference when burning silver maple verse sugar maple. Sugar maple burns like a hardwood. I like playing around with different species when I'm home.

Ive burned pine this year and like the heat it throws, your right, it doesnt coal as well but I usually only do one load of pine then back to harder woods. Not sure I agree it takes as much effort to process, its so light I feel like superman when I deal with it ;lol

I scored 6 cords (3 for me, 3 for relative) of southern yellow pine last winter. I sure like burning it during the day. Dries to 20% or less MC in 9 mos. Catches in 30 seconds and burns hot with little coaling. You need to get back to stove in 3-4 hours for reload. And ditto on weatherguy's superman...you feel buffed up dealing with it.

I like both and now try to have some of each for burning. We use alder, big leaf maple, poplar, and doug fir as "soft" woods and cherry, locust and madrona as hardwoods. Our usage is more temperature and supply driven. When it's shoulder season burning we burn mostly softwood. When it's winter, we burn a mix with pure hardwood for more heat and longer burns.

Really? I've always had pretty good success with Cherry.

I like burning soft stuff when I'm home. Especially since I bought 2 cords for $140 delivered! It burns great at that price.>>

I like burning Cherry. I just tried it for the first time last week ( 2 yr seasoned ). It didnt burn near as long as Oak or Hickory. Burned great but I would prefer Oak or Hickory for the over night burns.

Status
Not open for further replies.