Who enjoys going to the woodshed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Who enjoys going to the woodshed?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LLigetfa

Minister of Fire
Nov 9, 2008
NW Ontario
OK, so I'm sitting here with 4 small spits left in the woodbox and looking at the -15°C outdoor temps, trying to decide if I should let the fire go out now and relight it tonight or go out to the shed now and get more wood. Either way, it's bound to warm up enough that the stove will likely go cold. I actually enjoy my daily ritual of bringing in wood from the shed but feeling kind of lazy this morning.

I got to wondering how many others also enjoy the daily ritual of bringing wood in. You see a lot of people that stack it on the front porch or even fill their basement.

I like it when the one cord rack is full in the garage and a full wagon load to boot thats where I am at this saturday a.m.Sweet

I so enjoy watching my wife bring the wood in the house.

Backwoods Savage said:

wow! I can count on one hand how many times my wife has brought in wood in the last ten years.

andybaker said:
Backwoods Savage said:

wow! I can count on one hand how many times my wife has brought in wood in the last ten years.
LOL... as can I without using my thumb.

Woodbox is full now and the fire is still going.

I get a certain sense of accomplishment from getting the wood into the house, just like when getting it prepped before it gets to that stage. This late in the season, I stop putting so much on the porch, and just keep about 2 days worth at a time into the house straight from the stacks.
Things are starting to wind down just a little, and I'm now thinking about how best to get the stacks out of the way for the new woodshed I plan to build this year.
This is going to be fun. Crap, ....and work. Mostly fun though.

Fortunate that I have chalet style house, built in to the side of a hill, with a walk out basement, and a wrap around deck. And the best part, when it was built, they extended the front gable end out 4 feet! I keep a half cord or so on the pad outside the walkout basement, and few days supply on the deck just outside the sliding door on the main floor. Both supplies are covered by that 4 ft gable, and are on the east side of the house, so get little weather.

PapaDave said:
andybaker said:
Backwoods Savage said:

I can count on less than one finger how many times my wife has brought wood into the house. Do the math.

Me too.
Mines a Queen, as I get treated like a King.
Other than a few learning experiences now and then( even after 4 years in the country ) shes golden!
Sometimes I still just shake my head and watch the city mentality.

As far as going to the shed.I only have to do it once every 3 weeks and even then all I do is open a hatch and throw it in as the shed is connected to the furnace room.

I enjoy bringing the wood in the house. I just hate seeing the woodpile go down as I bring it in.
I can store about 5-7 days of wood in my fireplace. It's about 6 feet from the woodstove. Keeps down the mess on the floor.

stovewood2.jpg

I think the last option should have ready I keep SOME of my wood in the house. I can't keep a winters supply but maybe about a cord. Usually about 1/2 cord. After seeing the snow we got last night (2 feet, just about a record here) I can see the benefit of having a shed. I am not looking forward to knocking off snow from the stacks. Fortuneatly, I put a tarp over the section of my HH I am taking down, so it should not be too bad. It was an experience clearing my 1000 foot driveway. The ATV plow was overwhelmed and got stuck a few times. I had to break out the Bobcat but had to be careful to dump the snow on a flat spot, otherwise it would start sliding. It is pretty rare when we get anything thing like that.

PapaDave said:
I get a certain sense of accomplishment from getting the wood into the house, just like when getting it prepped before it gets to that stage. This late in the season, I stop putting so much on the porch, and just keep about 2 days worth at a time into the house straight from the stacks.
Things are starting to wind down just a little, and I'm now thinking about how best to get the stacks out of the way for the new woodshed I plan to build this year.
This is going to be fun. Crap, ....and work. Mostly fun though.

Well Dave, I get that same sense of accomplishment watching my wife bring the wood in. She also empties the ashes. In fact, with this new stove we got in 2007 I have not emptied the ashes once from it. Sometimes I do have to remind her though. lol

Like Lee said, sometimes we feel like Kings married to Queens. I think I have a keeper.

Well - first burn season will be next year, but I've managed to c/s/s just over 17 cord this year to get ahead. Plan is to keep a cord in a storage room off the attached garage (access directly to garage), and then keep 4 cord in the barn. My current plan is to bring 2 day loads into the garage from the barn every other day - leaving the cord in the storage room for lazy/bad weather/etc. days - but......it's all pie in the sky till the darn stove arrives next month - we'll see how the best laid plans really unfurl! Cheers!

When I hear "go to the wood shed" I knew that I had to cut a switch on my way. Never was a pleasant time.

That said I never have to bring in wood from the shed as my boiler in in the shed. All I have to do is put it in there. No bugs, bark, or smoke in the house and I don't have to use that chimney that got cracked in the fire any more. I just pump the heat in. ofcourse it does get cold sometimes when it is blowing and snowing and I have to go out and feed that thing. But then the donkeys need to get feed anyway.

To be honest with you, do and I don't. It feels nice to have brought the wood in. Some nights though, I REALLY don't feel like going outside and getting it. I guess that's partially due to poor planning. Most of the time I bring a cart in that lasts 2-3 days depending on how cold it is. That cart is really hard to move around when you have two feet of snow on the ground. Next year, I plan on putting 2 cords in the downstairs garage, located in the walk out portion of the basement. I also want to put a cord in the upstairs garage, which will be heated if things go as planned! I'm in the process of finishing the breezeway that attaches the house to the garage. It'll be a dinning room this spring and the stove downstairs will be transported there. A new stove is coming this month for the basement. I plan on a through the wall pipe from the dinning room into the garage and up to the roof. The magic heat will be installed in the garage side, blowing 30,000 btu of pure wood heat into my garage!! Retrieving wood will be a breeze for most of the winter!

Attachments

• Dec - Jan 117.jpg
    Dec - Jan 117.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 433
  • Dec - Jan 115.jpg
    Dec - Jan 115.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 424
3137365978_300d536c24.jpg

Going to the shed in no problem for me. I multi task and let the dogs out seems to me it's 70 steps from the wood to the inside wood holder. The dead wood harvested daily or so is half that distance and is under the lean-to. Doesn't look it but that entrance is 8+ft or so

savageactor7 said:
I multi task and let the dogs out..
Ja, for sure my dog enjoys the trips to the woodshed the most. She always has a stick in her mouth that she challenges me to try and take from her. If I don't try hard enough, she pretends to drop it to entice me. If I still don't grab it, she'll go sit about 10 feet away from it to increase my chances. No matter where I toss it, she always finds it and brings it back. When not playing fetch, she chews the sticks down to little nubs and gestures toward the woodpile for me to get her a new one. I won't give her any of my hardwood cuz they are hard on the snow thrower when injested, so I always have some small Poplar sticks that were standing dead and not too strong. She chews those down to nothing in a day or two.

Short of stealing the stick away from her, I have to use two of them to play fetch. She will drop one when I toss the other one.

westkywood said:
I enjoy bringing the wood in the house. I just hate seeing the woodpile go down as I bring it in.
I can store about 5-7 days of wood in my fireplace. It's about 6 feet from the woodstove. Keeps down the mess on the floor.

stovewood2.jpg
lol, I know the stove is plain as day in the foreground, but if I didn't know better I would think you had that fireplace loaded for an overnight burn....

I voted "I wish I had a wood shed". But my outside storage is convenient at any rate... right outside the basement door. And I don't keep all my wood inside, just most of it.

Lady BK and I spent an enjoyable hour this afternoon rotating wood and restocking the indoor supply. Here is what it looks like now. Cherry on the left, hickory and a little bit of ash and oak on the right. There's about a cord all told, 1/3 of that has been inside for about two weeks. There will be one more restocking in about two weeks. After that, I'll just bring in enough to fit the space on the left and reclaim the spot on the right for power tools and a canoe mold.

You can see the big Jet overheard air filtration unit mounted on the ceiling in the back. It not only filters the dust and any mold spores out of the air, it circulates the hot air to speed dry the wood and add much needed moisture to the shop air. Crude, but very effective.

In the beginning of the season, I have an extra half cord in here, but I don't need to have it inside for so long any more because I've been freeze-drying the s*** out of it. :coolsmile:

Attachments

• Wood-Storage-3.jpg
    Wood-Storage-3.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 249
I'd like to install a beer tap in my woodshed. I love going to it and seeing all that work, potential heat, and independence stacked up there dry and waiting to do it's job keeping us warm and comfortable while it's bitter and white outside. When I go to visit my folks I sit there in a yawning stupor with nothing to do. Everybody needs a "woodshed".

Battenkiller said:
I voted "I wish I had a wood shed". But my outside storage is convenient at any rate... right outside the basement door. And I don't keep all my wood inside, just most of it.

Lady BK and I spent an enjoyable hour this afternoon rotating wood and restocking the indoor supply. Here is what it looks like now. Cherry on the left, hickory and a little bit of ash and oak on the right. There's about a cord all told, 1/3 of that has been inside for about two weeks. There will be one more restocking in about two weeks. After that, I'll just bring in enough to fit the space on the left and reclaim the spot on the right for power tools and a canoe mold.

You can see the big Jet overheard air filtration unit mounted on the ceiling in the back. It not only filters the dust and any mold spores out of the air, it circulates the hot air to speed dry the wood and add much needed moisture to the shop air. Crude, but very effective.

In the beginning of the season, I have an extra half cord in here, but I don't need to have it inside for so long any more because I've been freeze-drying the s*** out of it. :coolsmile:

I love this picture. Fast and convienent. Wish my better half would allow me to do the same

Wonder what the fire marshal would say though.

My shed, actually a roof overhang of the house, is right outside the door. Boots are rare except when I've been slacking clearing snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.