Who has a englander 13, or 30?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Englander 30 or 13

• Englander 13

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 30 is too much shouldve went with 13 or diff stove

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Two lucky things happened to me: I walked into the local hardware store and they have a 30 and 12 sitting on the floor and then I found hearth.com.

I learned about EPA stoves and after checking various brands and models, decided that the 13 was the best bang for the buck (that would fit in our fireplace).

It clearly uses less wood than any other stove I've ever used. There is a learning curve but it's not terribly steep.

Next project is to hook up a remote blower (as there is not enough clearance behind for the stock blower plus I found a nifty 12 volt marine bilge blower that just happens to have a three inch outlet) and thermostatic switch to control it.

TG

Creek-Chub said:
And what sort of burn times do you get running it like that, Bart? Just curious...

I burn so many different load configurations and either pine or oak or a combination that quoting a "burn time" is difficult. That and what a burn time is seems to be different to every wood burner on the planet. If I use the gauge that stove makers use, until the last little coal is gone, then I have seen 15 hours with the stove top around a hundred degrees. For being able to reload on a twelve square inch pile of hot coals with red oak that is around eight or nine hours from a full firebox load.

With our highly variable winter weather conditions and the fact that the forecasts are usually ten degrees off either way for overnight temps I have to change loading configs almost nightly. My goal is just to have a 70 degree house when I get up in the morning. I don't care if I have to start the stove from scratch or not.

Just wanted to say thanks for all the input. I've decided to go with the 30. I think the small fire box in the 13 is what really killed it for me. Just finished measuring and looks like the 30 will be a nice fit for my corner of my living room.

I just fired up our 30NC this weekend. So far I've been happy. The outside temp is around 40 so I haven't had much of chance to let it run. I am trying to figure out the best configuration for the "shoulder season". I like the look of the stove, although the more expensive stoves would have looked even nicer!

If you have space for it I'd say a 30 is the way to go between the two. The only reason I went smaller was to fit into the fireplace opening.

TG

Status
Not open for further replies.