Who Has a Pellet Savvy Wife?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
She's got three sisters but they broke the mold when they made her. The other three are typical heat seekers! LOL. She just came down and told me we need to go hunting for pellets this weekend! On the lookout for Cubex to add to our stash. Did I mention she organized our pellet stash in the basement too. it's now sorted by brand. I need to leave for meetings more often.

GrahamInVa said:
hotdawg said:
I do! I do! We bought a used stove over the weekend and she helped me install it yesterday in one hour! Sucks for us the stove stopped working last night for whatever reason. I left for an emergency meeting this morning and left everything in her hands including 1 user manual and two service manuals! Really didn't expect her to do much about it. I came home tonight to a fully burning stove! It was a sight to behold! I guess while I was away, she managed with the help from some of the great guys on this forum to make a suicide cord to diagnose the problem, tracked down and replaced two snap discs, cleaned the Jamestown stove (vacuum/ash pan and glass), got the kids to/from school and their activities. But I'm just mostly impressed she got the stove working and dinner was time too!

She also told me tonight that with the second stove running, we should consider buying A LOT more pellets!! Someone slap me! I think I must be dreaming as I foolishly plan my day tomorrow around buying more pellets!

PS. Apparently some guys on the forum made quite an impression on her. Do you think I should be concerned.....

She's A KEEPER!

FOR SURE! Its great she wants to jump right in there and try her hand at it!!!

My wife hauls pellets and isn't afraid of cleaning the stove.

I bought two stoves, in pieces. The control boards were dead. I assembled the stoves and she repaired the circuit boards. She has a Master's degree in electrical engineering and just fixes anything electronic that breaks around the house. I wanted to get a new TV, when the smoke got out of the old Sony, but she had it apart on the kitchen table in 20 minutes, ordered the parts and had it back on line in no time. Total cost $18.00!

Dave

i think if i die first, my girl is moving to florida.

I am the pellet savvy wife

I feed, start and clean the pellet stove all the time. He watches the shop vac to make sure the ash doesn't blow around the room. Hubby enjoys the warmth.... I still have not cleaned the vent or blower fans, but that will be soon as we are approaching our 1 ton mark.

I am also the pellet wife. I had to talk him into getting a pellet stove. He has never cleaned it in 3+ years, I do that. I also do any trouble-shooting that's needed. He doesn't know Inferno Pellets from Turman Pellets. He has never heard of hearth.com. We take turns lugging up bags of pellets from the basement. He does vacuum and clean up dog poop, so I guess I'll keep him around.

newf lover said:
I am also the pellet wife. I had to talk him into getting a pellet stove. He has never cleaned it in 3+ years, I do that. I also do any trouble-shooting that's needed. He doesn't know Inferno Pellets from Turman Pellets. He has never heard of hearth.com. We take turns lugging up bags of pellets from the basement. He does vacuum and clean up dog poop, so I guess I'll keep him around.
Nice Newfoundland in your Avtar...

Ejectr said:
I thought tonight...if I disappeared from the picture, my wife would be in deep doo doo with operating and/or cleaning the pellet stove and pellet furnace. She'd no doubt just go right back over to the oil furnace...

It can happen. Good that she's got the oil furnace backup, because figuring out the pellet stove would be the last thing on her mind. I lost my wife quite unexpectedly a little over a year ago, so I know of what I speak. If you really sit and think about it, there are myriad things we rarely give a thought to when we're just cruising happily through life, but that become quite important when life suddenly changes big-time because our partner's ends suddenly. Regardless of how old you are, or how bullet-proof you feel, it's worth spending some time together with your spouse/SO talking about things that you both hope will never happen, and all the details of what would need to be taken care of. You'll never be completely ready, but you can be more ready than not ready at all. Rick

Very sorry to hear that.

fossil said:
Ejectr said:
I thought tonight...if I disappeared from the picture, my wife would be in deep doo doo with operating and/or cleaning the pellet stove and pellet furnace. She'd no doubt just go right back over to the oil furnace...

It can happen. Good that she's got the oil furnace backup, because figuring out the pellet stove would be the last thing on her mind. I lost my wife quite unexpectedly a little over a year ago, so I know of what I speak. If you really sit and think about it, there are myriad things we rarely give a thought to when we're just cruising happily through life, but that become quite important when life suddenly changes big-time because our partner's ends suddenly. Regardless of how old you are, or how bullet-proof you feel, it's worth spending some time together with your spouse/SO talking about things that you both hope will never happen, and all the details of what would need to be taken care of. You'll never be completely ready, but you can be more ready than not ready at all. Rick
Sorry to hear of your loss and thanks for the good advice.

Mine has not a clue about anything to do with the stove. She wont even touch the thermostat. For this im thankful.

She would have it at 80 degrees in here and id need 10 ton of pellets a season. Like most all other ladies, shes a heat hog. loves it hot in the house.

Ummmm...who says ya got to be a 'wife'? ;) I'm on my own...getting my pellets, filling the hopper, cleaning the stove AND sucking up the heat :) Oh yeah...also sticking my head in the stove side ways...right Dexter? LOL

hotdawg said:
I do! I do! We bought a used stove over the weekend and she helped me install it yesterday in one hour! Sucks for us the stove stopped working last night for whatever reason. I left for an emergency meeting this morning and left everything in her hands including 1 user manual and two service manuals! Really didn't expect her to do much about it. I came home tonight to a fully burning stove! It was a sight to behold! I guess while I was away, she managed with the help from some of the great guys on this forum to make a suicide cord to diagnose the problem, tracked down and replaced two snap discs, cleaned the Jamestown stove (vacuum/ash pan and glass), got the kids to/from school and their activities. But I'm just mostly impressed she got the stove working and dinner was time too!

She also told me tonight that with the second stove running, we should consider buying A LOT more pellets!! Someone slap me! I think I must be dreaming as I foolishly plan my day tomorrow around buying more pellets!

PS. Apparently some guys on the forum made quite an impression on her. Do you think I should be concerned.....

schwing.

DobieMom said:
Ummmm...who says ya got to be a 'wife'? ;) I'm on my own...getting my pellets, filling the hopper, cleaning the stove AND sucking up the heat :) Oh yeah...also sticking my head in the stove side ways...right Dexter? LOL

Perfect!!!

DobieMom said:

Yep...... I still give you props for what you do. All the women on here.

As for the head in the stove....

It sucks. But its gotta be done, if yours wanna do it right. ;-P

My wife has had several opportunities to become one with the pellet stoves and the wood stove because I travel for work every once in a while. She's much handier than I give her credit for. She lugs/loads pellets and can do a basic cleaning on both of the pellet stoves. She also lugs/fills the wood stove. She loaded 4 cord of splits into the basement with me this summer. The pellet stove year end cleaning isn't her cup of tea but I'm not complaining ;-)

Its strange that this got posted now, last weekend we had a discussion about what would happen if I wasn't around. I showed her how to do a deep clean and told her to try it. That was Saturday, this morning she came upstairs cover in soot everywhere above the knees. I mean she looked like one of those old time singers that were belting out mammie. That was about 10 am she's still not talking to me, but, I'm still chuckling.

My bride is pretty good about cleaning and filling the stove... whether I'm home or on the road.

The leaf blower trick she saves for me... and she hasn't taken out the fans, etc. either. But, altogether, she has adapted well to being warm after years of freezing at 65F just to save some $$$.

I mentioned that I may sell/trade the St Croix Greenfield corn burner I have in the shop and buy her a new stove for the house... she let me know she wanted an easy stove to operate like our old Pepin... she doesn't like to hand start the stove nor have to scrape the burn pot everyday like is needed on the Greenfield (on pellets).

smoke show said:
She knows how to stand in front of it and suck up all the heat.

Thats all.

Mine tends to sit on top (of the stove) while chatting on the phone.

Mine can haul bags of pellets but with her tounge hanging out i fear she may bite it off also IF i can get her to do anythuing i have to drag around a box of bon bons or she stays stationary on the loveseat sucking up pellet heat and yaking on that dam phone...

woodsman23 said:
Mine can haul bags of pellets but with her tounge hanging out i fear she may bite it off also IF i can get her to do anythuing i have to drag around a box of bon bons or she stays stationary on the loveseat sucking up pellet heat and yaking on that dam phone...

Is that you Al Bundy?

Doocrew said:
woodsman23 said:

Is that you Al Bundy?

That's funny!!

Status
Not open for further replies.