1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Who Has a Pellet Savvy Wife?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by Ejectr, Jan 13, 2012.

1. bcb1

bcb1 Member

Loc:
    WV
    Ha! Same here.

Yeah, if I weren't around, the pellet stove would just be a very expensive piece of furniture in the room. She could figure out how to turn it on and add pellets I'm sure, but I seriously doubt she'd mess with cleaning and vacuuming it every few days.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. RidgeRunner56

RidgeRunner56 New Member

Loc:
    Sandy Ridge, Pa
    Mine knows how to add pellets, scrape the pot, and turn the thermostat up and down. She'll even bring bags up from the basement if needed. As for a weekly cleaning, only if forced to do it.
  3. save$

save$ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chelsea Maine
    My wife can fill the stove and turn it on or off. She has never cleaned it, but then, I've never tried to get her involved. She has helped bring pellets in from the garage using a hand cart, but that is limited to when she is having a good day. We have ramps, chair lifts on the stairs, etc. I wish I had put on the ramp and rails long before this. Mush easier getting things in and out of the house. Why use your back when you can use a cart!
  4. 76brian

76brian Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Ottawa, Canada
    The position of wife is vacant.

Pellet savvy applicants are welcomed.
  5. John97

John97 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Spring Hill, FL
    Every married man is Al Bundy, to some degree...
  6. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Ever hear of wire cutters and little black boxes (just in case it is one of those obnoxious cell phones)? That'll take care of the yaking on the phone .... Bear running for cover ;-) .
  7. bill3rail

bill3rail Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    LI, NY
    Thanks for the info...
    Our stove is only 2 weeks old, and I have no doubt that she will be learning how to do all of the maintenance to keep it going.
    I will teach her all that she wants to learn. She used to have a wood burning insert, and split her own wood by hand, so I am sure that pellets do not scare her at all.

I am currently collecting buckets from the bakery to clean out and load with pellets so she can lift 20 pounds at a time and load into the stove.
    Not that she would hesitate to lift a full bag (over 1/3 of her body weight!)

Will talk to her this afternoon about learning whatever she wants.

Bill
  8. Salty

Salty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Ma
    If I dropped dead in 5 minutes my wife would still clean the stove tomorrow. She knows how even though I do the vacuuming
  9. Boobo0

Boobo0 Member

Loc:
    Eastern Ma
    My wife has touched our stove once this winter. Two days ago, she was on her way out to work and thought she'd "turn the stove down" a bit. So she "turns it down" and leaves, I come home 2 hours later to find my first floor at 87 degrees and both my German Shepherds panting like it's mid July!

I'm on an island when it comes to running the stove in my house :coolsmile:
  10. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    You've been doing that a lot lately. ;-)
  11. pelletash

pelletash New Member

My wife knows how to start the stove, shut it down, haul bags from the barn to the garage, fill the hopper and adjust the thermostat. She leaves the cleaning to me. I'll bet she could clean it without any problems, except for maybe going on the roof to run the brush down the pipe.

Can't beat getting a call when I'm working late saying "the hopper looked a little low so I topped it off".
  12. JoeS

JoeS Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Maryland
    My wife has enough to do around here. The last thing I need is for her to be anywhere around MY STOVE! :coolgrin:
  13. SmokeyTheBear

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    Sounds like we have a control issue here, seriously though, you need to train someone else on how to take care of things. Looks like Bear has to run for cover again .........
  14. John97

John97 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Spring Hill, FL
    I forgot to mention, my wife quickly understood the concept and advantages of having an OAK. :)
  15. JoeS

JoeS Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Maryland
    I'll show her your post and see what she has to say!
  16. save$

save$ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Chelsea Maine
    Wow! She is already two steps ahead of most dealers and "professional" installers. Keep her, but whatever you do, keep up with her!
  17. becasunshine

becasunshine Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Va
    <---- Pellet stove savvy wife. :)
  18. VCBurner

VCBurner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Templeton, MA
    My wife is very savvy period. I, accept the bulk of the responsability related to stoves. She loads the stove, that's about it. But when push comes to shove there's not much she can't figure out. I got hurt one fall, she really surprised me that year by running two wood stoves, including taking a coal hopper out of the combo stove to burn wood in the basement. That was a pain to do.
  19. rich2500

rich2500 Member

Loc:
    S E Pa.
    my 10 year old son is more pellet savvy then my wife.he knows the cleaning procedure I use and is always right there when it's time to unload pellets into the storage shed.
  20. momof2nutlings

momof2nutlings Member

Loc:
    CT
    Pfffftttt..... my poor husband would be lost if I left him tomorrow. He knows how to turn it on, and load it. I'm very proud of him. Cleaning and maintenance is not his cup of tea. I *think* he knows how to cut/split/stack wood for the wood stove, but not entirely certain as I've not seen him do it... Thank goodness it's a fun chore!

I imagine that if some wives read what you posted there would be quite a few cold bedroom around here..... LOL
  21. tjnamtiw

tjnamtiw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North Georgia
    My wife is very savvy. She stays as far away as possible and just complains about the dust, which is there whether or not the stove is running!!! She's like Colonel Klink > 'I know NOTHING!!!'
  22. Harman Lover 007

Harman Lover 007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Mass & Lakes Region of Maine
    That was Sgt. Schultz......
  23. tjnamtiw

tjnamtiw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North Georgia
    Oh man, of course! Damn beer!
  24. UncleAnthony

UncleAnthony Member

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    You are extremely blessed to have such a wife, as am I. My wife is very similar. Very savvy. I run & clean the stove.
    She reads lots of the reviews on pellets, loves wood stoves, wants to learn to clean it. Anything technical she can and does learn, then actually accomplishes the task.
  25. SmokeyTheBear

Loc:
    Standish, ME

Actually Schultz knew far more than Klink did.