Who has converted a used Home Despot Makita 6401 to a 7900?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DMX_512

Nov 17, 2008
Louisville, KY
I have been kicking around getting a Dolmar 7300 ($650.00 locally) and thought I would call Home Despot to see if they were willing to sell any of their Makita rental saws. I found one HD that was willing to let one go for $200 + tax. Not a bad deal
I have a couple of questions actually. Who has bought one of these and what type of condition was it in when you got it (I know that is a huge variable)? Secondly, has anyone converted one of these to a 7900 with the piston and jug kit? It seems to be a fairly straightforward swap. What carb adjustments were needed? Any other thoughts, pointers, tips would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ben

I was thinking the same , but I've have not called any home depots. I look every time I'm in there and talk to the people working the rental counters. I've read online they keep their saws in 0really good shape and sell them every spring. I believe you might get more technical responses on the other site.

go in there and grab it first thing tomorrow.

If you can, pull the muffler and check the piston, but not too important if you are going to convert it. Sometimes they sell off because of straight gassing, but usually very well maintained. VERY hard to find around here, so I'd grab it ASAP.
200 is a good deal. They range from 165 to 200 depending on store, but usually grabbed up.

It is a bolt on as the 64 73 79 are all on the same chassis. Hence, the 64 is understressed, a good rental unitl. Also a bit porky when you can have 79 cc power with the same weight frame.

New OEM parts: Go to AS and get from amicks, or edge and engine or cuttin edge. About $200. Baileys has a 85 cc big bore kit for a lot less money, but the jury is still out on quality, it is in prototype stage and takes some more engine building skills to watch details. The OEM is simply bolt on.

I'd grab it quick, run it as a 64 cc and be happy until you get the urge, or have to OH it anyway.

Might put the old parts on ebay, but there are a lot out there and not much demand when they can go to 79 cc.

Nice saw, cheap price.

k

I've purchased a few. Some are great, others are decent, and some are toast. It's a gamble, and there is only so much you can do in the store to assess condition. If you understand that going in, you'll be fine. If you expect to get a perfect $500+ saw for $215, you're asking to be disappointed. Even if you have to do bearings and P/C, you'll still come out OK relative to a new 7900. And you'll learn something in the process.

A couple of the 6401HD saws I've purchased:

Some are clean and can go straight to work. No claims were made about this one, except the number of days it had been out on rental. It felt good, had mad compression, and had no broken plastic or magnesium. Its only shortcoming was a tired AV spring.
resized_HD_6401_Makita_02.jpg

resized_HD_6401_Makita_03a.jpg

This one clearly saw a bit of straight gas at some point in its not-too-distant history. HD claimed that they had just replaced the piston and cylinder. Clearly they had not. It also ended up that the crank bearings were toast, too.
6401_Exhaust.jpg

I went to the local Home Depot and got a 6401!!
$215.00 out the door and he threw in an extra chain....an anti kickback chain though...still that was a nice gesture.
They said that they received this saw January of this year!! Someone threw a chain because the ear that mounts under the dog is broken and the "chip flap" has got a pretty decent groove in it. However I checked the bar and chain...tightened things up and cut a couple of rounds.
Man this thing screams!! I cant wait to buck up some logs.

I thought about finding a used HD special, but when I added up the cost of the saw, the parts to convert it, my time spend on the "project", and the unknown... it made a lot more sense to me to just buy the 7900 and be done with it (my 7900 cost me $635 with a 20" B&C;).

When you add in the factory waranty and the much higher resale value of the 7900 vs the converted Makita, plus the other items I listed before, it's hard to pass up the new 7900 for under $650.

Wet1,
I hear ya but.....
I was getting quotes of $650.00 + tax for a 7300 w/ 20" b/c and between $750.00 and $800.00 + tax for a 7900.
So far I have a 6400 for $215.00 w/ 20" b/c. I will convert it. It is just a matter of when.
I wish that the Dolmar dealers around here were giving such good deals on 7900's. Although the local guys are pretty much in-line with Amicks.

Ben

DMX_512 said:
Wet1,
I hear ya but.....
I was getting quotes of $650.00 + tax for a 7300 w/ 20" b/c and between $750.00 and $800.00 + tax for a 7900.
So far I have a 6400 for $215.00 w/ 20" b/c. I will convert it. It is just a matter of when.
I wish that the Dolmar dealers around here were giving such good deals on 7900's. Although the local guys are pretty much in-line with Amicks.
i look into the 5100 locally 419.00

Ben

Not trying to plug my item into this post but I am selling a Dolmar 115 at the moment. If any interest just contact me via private messages.

smokinj,
I already have a Stihl 026 so I dont really need another 50cc saw. Just tryin to have a decent 2 saw set-up on a budget. If / when the 026 dies then I will look into other options.

By the way...
When I was calling around getting quotes on Dolmars a guy told me that he had these for sale Brand New in box.

Solo 694 @ $650
Solo 694

Solo 643 @ $275
Solo 643

Just thought I would pass it along

DMX_512 said:
Wet1,
I hear ya but.....

Ben
Ben,
Should you need another Dolmar saw, shoot me a PM and I can point you in the right direction for buying them at more reasonable prices. ;)

Good luck with the 6401, it's a great saw. When get around to adding the bigger jug, I think you'll like even that much more.

Status
Not open for further replies.