Who has the best kindling tool?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 20, 2008
alaska
I was on a hunting trip with my nephew and he had a great kindling axe. Actually it was like a miniature maul. short handle with a wedge shaped maul like head. It made for easy kindling, much easier than any hatchet I've used in the past. He got it somewhere in Idaho. I've been looking and all I can find is that european thing I can't pronounce and certainly can't afford. Closest I've found is a Fiskars hatchet. Anybody got some ideas?

Take a maul that you've busted the handle on and put a 2 ft or so handle on it. The ones made for 2lb sledges work well.
I have one in the garage and its amazing how handy it is. Its a 6lber so you can use it one handed but don't have to put much effort into it.

Well, I have a draw knife, froes are cool but I am looking for a small one handed maul. The one I would like to find is shaped in a sharp vee, about 3-4 inches wide across the back of the blade, probably weights about 1 1/2 to 2 lbs.

Are you interested in a splitting hatchet?
I'm having trouble posting an address but mif you google image search for small splitting hatchet you'll find some options.

I have googled and the few I've found are not what I am looking for. Fiskars and one other I can't recall appear to have a fatter head then a regular hatchet but the one I want is a vee shape with no concave to the blade.

I am in the process of having one made up - I found two well worn axe heads in the scrap pile behind the barrel stove in my wife's late grandfathers garage - they were originally chopping axes, but are now about an inch shorter than they once were from butt to blade, giving them an aggressive wedge end. Premade replacement handles were all too long, but, I discovered that the local farmers Coop has a craftsman who makes axe handles for them, so he is fitting them both with a custom made 24 inch handle for around $20/each, and a spare handle for each as well. In the end, I'll have a 24" 3lb kindling axe with some family history if all works out well. They aren't pretty, but I'll post a pic once I get them back.

Reactions: BrianK
I really like my Fiskars tools. This "splitting hatchet" with ~16" handle is a workhorse. I also have her baby sister, very useful in her own right, and two of her big brother splitting axes. I love 'em all. I can't say enough good about them, they're some of the finest tools I own. RIck

Attachments

• kindling.jpg
    kindling.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 716
Put me down for the Snow & Nealley Mini Maul. It is my kindling making machine. 3lb head & 18" handle that fattens nicely at the end for one handed use.

MiniMaul.jpg

Sealcove said:
Put me down for the Snow & Nealley Mini Maul. It is my kindling making machine. 3lb head & 18" handle that fattens nicely at the end for one handed use.

Ooooo... That's nice! I'll have to give Santa the heads up on that!

I was on a hunting trip with my nephew and he had a great kindling axe. Actually it was like a miniature maul. short handle with a wedge shaped maul like head. It made for easy kindling, much easier than any hatchet I've used in the past. He got it somewhere in Idaho. I've been looking and all I can find is that european thing I can't pronounce and certainly can't afford. Closest I've found is a Fiskars hatchet. Anybody got some ideas?

I have a 2.25lb Fiskars axe that I reccomend to everyone. 1) it's small enough to swing with 1 hand 2) it's big enough to swing with both hands. 3) it splits very, very well for a little axe.

fossil said:
I really like my Fiskars tools. This "splitting hatchet" with ~16" handle is a workhorse. I also have her baby sister, very useful in her own right, and two of her big brother splitting axes. I love 'em all. I can't say enough good about them, they're some of the finest tools I own. RIck

That's it!

Sortov.

Mine has a 22" or 24" handle. The shape of the head is outstanding for splitting.

Gransfors Splitting Hatchet:

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/gransfors-small-splitting-hatchet.htm

When I bought it I was a little unsure of it's utility. Now I wouldn't be without it - it's an incredibly handy tool for small splits down to kindling. Yeah, it's spendy - but having owned several Gransfors products, I find their quality more than makes up for the short pain of their price.

-=[ Grant ]=-

Status
Not open for further replies.