Who here Makes Their Own Firewood related stuff?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
Aug 2, 2006
Northern IL
In honor of not hi-jacking the current "Firewood making tools" I thought it might be fun to see who builds stuff for firewood related use. Splitters, carts, hitches, sawbucks, coal rake, whatever. Show us your custom built tools.
I have a list that is about as long as my arm, but I want to see other peoples innovation.
Some of you long timers are probably tired of seeing my splitter(s) and stuff, so I will start with a couple more obscure items:
Custom built trailer - specifically built to fit the double doors of my woodshed (not pictured) Note the "21" inch measurement between the two upright in back? It is to measure my longest acceptable split:
100_1539sm.jpg

Custom hitch for the mule (garden tractor):
hitchsm.jpg

Electric conversion of a lawn mower so the grandkids can get in the action:
camsm.JPG

Last edited:
been waiting to see the electric mower,,,,from the looks of the grass you should have let him keep the blades!

Those little beggers sure are proud when they drive stuff! I like it.

Reactions: Jags
May as well put up the splitters too. There are some some new folks here.

I haven't built much. I have lots of ideas, but don't have the tools to build em. I have had the guys in the metal shop at my job modify some things for me.
I put together this combination trailer hitch for an IH Cub Cadet three point hitch out of some stuff I had and stuff I bought.
IMG_0640.JPG IMG_0641.JPG
It is height adjustable and can haul trailers with a ball hitch and GT attachments with the pin hitch.
I have some other stuff planned....

May as well put up the splitters too. There are some some new folks here
My intent wasn't to clutter this thread with all MY crap. I wanted to see other peoples crap...er ....Masterpieces. ;lol;lol;lol

Last edited:
Don't really have any particular metal fab skills but I built this here sawbuck.

Attachments

• saw buck 3.jpg
    saw buck 3.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 868
I built one of those too!
0526101316.jpg
Wood stuff is easy.

I also built this box to carry my saws and tools on the old Ford Flatbed.
truck box 5.jpg truck box 4.jpg truck box 2.jpg

The truck has moved on to the next caretaker, but I still have the box (under about 2 feet of snow now).

The extent of my fab abilities was a sawbuck ;lol

And a postal crate chainsaw carrier, Ill get some pics up if I can find any

Ive also been thinking about making a kydex belt sheath for my x7 so I can carry it around with me while bucking wood

Here is a couple of things,
Sawbuck and pallet breaking fork.
DSCF0037 (Medium).JPG pallet fork.jpg

I forgot about your pallet fork, Wes. Simply ingenious.

And nice work Whitepine. How well does the processor work? I don't think I have had a straight stick of firewood in years but for those that do, that is the ticket for volume.

I posted this pic before, but it fits here. A rebuilt can't hook.

50pslc.jpg

I forgot about your pallet fork, Wes. Simply ingenious.

And nice work Whitepine. How well does the processor work? I don't think I have had a straight stick of firewood in years but for those that do, that is the ticket for volume.

Well there are not many straight trees around here ether. This is why I made this the way I did,if you look you will see the box like open-en with a piston atop well this moves via hydrolic piston under the table and the piston on top
that you see captures the log which is pulled until it reaches desired length (3' piston under table) so can cut about 30" if need be. The nice thing is I can cut bowed,bent twisted ect. without too much of a problem SWEET. When ever you see a commercial store bought rig they always have stems the same diameter and of course just like an arrow and away they go O how nice it is but real life this is not the mean as you stated.I can cut 30" diameter not
overly fast but not tired at end of the day ether. Only $800 in this unit as I used what I had it could be better with
bigger pump and other changes. It is powered by an 80HP turbo Isuzu diesel from there PUP pickup truck so plenty of power I may put more work into it but it works well enough as is. I am going to make vid but need someone to help with that.

Sometimes I brew my own beer to drink by the fire. That counts, right?

I fabbed up this reese hitch and this thing I call my log dog - a single log skidder for my Griz. Just notch the log with my saw and set it onto the angle. If I can lift the one end the Griz can tow it to my work deck. I also fabbed up a hitch that fits into the receiver with ball, hook and tab for pin mounts. My stove tools have been on here many times as well.

Attachments

• Log Dog 003.jpg
    Log Dog 003.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 550
Blade sharpening guide

image.jpg image.jpg

I also made a hookaroon from an old axe I had laying around. I took the right angle grinder and cut the blade into a hook. I don't have a pic It's outside in the snow

Out feed table

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How about a box that monitors the burning of firewood?
The three lights tell me which zone is on. Then I have supply water temp and return temp and the bottom gauge is the gasification temp Have to multiply by 10
image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.