Who here Makes Their Own Firewood related stuff?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I make my own beer too.....

I also have a cart that I made, it holds about 200 lbs of firewood. We roll it into the family room from outside and park it in the corner by the stove. It is a lot easier than carrying in an armload at a time.

I also just built two 8'x12' covered wood storage facilities ==c

My trailer is home made too.

I really like that hand made pickeroon.......how do you use one, and how does it help??

I had a handmade sledge, but we broke it in some sycamore and gum (galvanized pipe welded to an old steel pipe, cap on one end, filled with lead). The handle bent until it was too awkward to swing.

Reactions: Jags
Work for a metal shop. Had one of the guys weld me a wood seasoning rack. Going to pour piers for the post supports at some point. Just needed to get the wood off the ground this winter. Currently have 4 of them. Each holds 2/3 cord of wood. Does not look to stable from the photo but with the 40 mph winds we had recently it is still standing. For some reason I cannot upload the front view. Going to build a couple more as soon as I find more wood.

2014-03-22_18-07-30_436.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Also built my OWB years ago, this is the 14th heating season for it. Next one will not have a 20x30 door as I've matured since then and have no desire to pick anything up that requires that large a door.

735CF2AF-768E-42D5-90C0-7382D92DB0D2_zps8fhshpxn.jpg

23DE3A11-55F1-4179-B9E5-BBD08DD4FE34_zpsaujehexl.jpg

You know the rules....pics or itCan't do not have happened.;)
Have the forge yet you doubt, they work great for making gate hinges too. Can't do photo of froe it migrated along with my Dad's double bit axe. Shall post forge, anvil and oxyacetylene bictor torch photos if you wish. They have to be cherry to work draw and taper. Rubber bushing is bi-- to remove..burn out easiest . A froe os not sharp it is a wedge

Last edited:
Have the forge yet you doubt, they work great for making gate hinges too. Can't do photo of froe it migrated along with my Dad's double bit axe. Shall post forge, anvil and oxyacetylene bictor torch photos if you wish. They have to be cherry to work draw and taper. Rubber bushing is bi-- to remove..burn out easiest . A froe os not sharp it is a wedge
IMG_20140325_214612_430.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20140325_214625_914.jpg
    IMG_20140325_214625_914.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 260
I helped make these two wood haulers. Apparently their load rating increases over time!

DSC03189.JPG

I realized I can use this tow mixer to make 'bio-bricks', I think. I haven't did it yet, but I'll try it and it should work.

The machine: a round livestock tank, a frame with differential off of a pick up truck (rear wheel drive), lawn mower blade, irrigation gate/door, tow hitch and some wood framing.

How it works: the differential is repositioned from horizontal to vertical. And a lawn mower blade is attached to the now vertical differential. When towed the differential spins the lawn mower blade with great force - i.e.a big blender. So put a 100 or so gallons of water in it, newspaper (or cardboard) and wood chips if you have them. Now tow it for a block or two and turn around.

Now you have a grey slurry. Open the little irrigation door and start filling 5-gallon buckets. Dump the buckets into forms. I am thinking of ways to compress the "bricks". I think I will try to make a form that I can roll over with a pick up truck to compress the oatmeal-like slurry. And maybe figure out something to throw in the slurry to make the bricks smell good (like a crystal incense?).

After a day, remove the forms/ And you have a wet bio-like brick. Stack them and let them dry like regular firewood. I have no idea how they will burn or what their btu rating will be. I did make some just paper slurry with no compression and I was surprised at how solid it dried into. This is a good use for newspaper and wood chips. Probably make good shoulder season stuff.
tow mixer 001.JPG tow mixer 002.JPG tow mixer 003.JPG tow mixer 004.JPG tow mixer 005.JPG

Hmmm...the results will be interesting. It does sound like a somewhat energy and time intensive project. Maybe compare time/energy to produce these bricks in relationship to time/energy used in producing firewood??

Hmmm...the results will be interesting. It does sound like a somewhat energy and time intensive project. Maybe compare time/energy to produce these bricks in relationship to time/energy used in producing firewood??
The hardest part is toting full buckets of 'mush' to the forms. Everything else is just time consuming - gathering newspapers and chips, taking off forms, compressing, stacking, etc..... A person could probably rig up a chute or conveyer to move the mush into the forms. I'm guessing you could get about 1/3 to 1/2 a cord from one mix with the system I have.

byQ, I'm impressed with your ingenuity! I would be interested in seeing the wood heater of a fellow Idahoan. (I sent you a private message in this forum tool, but not sure you saw it yet)

Pallet forks and grapple attachment. It is used for loading and unloading logs, holding the logs at a comfortible hieght when bucking,and pileing brush. Forks for the 3-point. A 1/2 cord wood tote for the 3-point.
grapple003.jpg

Attachments

• splitter2013 064.jpg
    splitter2013 064.jpg
    409.3 KB · Views: 294
  • forks 015.jpg
    forks 015.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 293
  • forks 006.jpg
    forks 006.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 302
Reactions: Charlie2
Got the forks, got to have the tote! Need something to get the wood out of the woods, been using my skid loader but it's not real good in rough terrain. What kind of tubing did you use?

A gazillion dollar tractor rig and no chaps. :mad:

Reactions: Osage
My wood pile design.
image 6.jpeg

I realized I can use this tow mixer to make 'bio-bricks', I think. I haven't did it yet, but I'll try it and it should work.

The machine: a round livestock tank, a frame with differential off of a pick up truck (rear wheel drive), lawn mower blade, irrigation gate/door, tow hitch and some wood framing.

How it works: the differential is repositioned from horizontal to vertical. And a lawn mower blade is attached to the now vertical differential. When towed the differential spins the lawn mower blade with great force - i.e.a big blender. So put a 100 or so gallons of water in it, newspaper (or cardboard) and wood chips if you have them. Now tow it for a block or two and turn around.

Now you have a grey slurry. Open the little irrigation door and start filling 5-gallon buckets. Dump the buckets into forms. I am thinking of ways to compress the "bricks". I think I will try to make a form that I can roll over with a pick up truck to compress the oatmeal-like slurry. And maybe figure out something to throw in the slurry to make the bricks smell good (like a crystal incense?).

After a day, remove the forms/ And you have a wet bio-like brick. Stack them and let them dry like regular firewood. I have no idea how they will burn or what their btu rating will be. I did make some just paper slurry with no compression and I was surprised at how solid it dried into. This is a good use for newspaper and wood chips. Probably make good shoulder season stuff.
View attachment 130715 View attachment 130716 View attachment 130717 View attachment 130718 View attachment 130719

May I suggest you check out a pellet mill used for making hay cubes, there may be adaptations you could find useful

Found that ballast helped when loading logs. Fireplace wood racks

Attachments

• ballast with saws.jpg
    ballast with saws.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 284
  • ballast with saws2.jpg
    ballast with saws2.jpg
    407.8 KB · Views: 334
  • projects 004 (Medium).jpg
    projects 004 (Medium).jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 321
  • projects 006 (Medium).jpg
    projects 006 (Medium).jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 281
So here is one of my homemade tools that I brought in the other day and took a picture of tonight. I use this to set the length of my firewood. It is 16 1/16" long. Hammer it in, them move down, repeat. Cut at each mark that it makes. If I can get logs or whole trees, my wood pile looks REAL pretty :)length gage.jpg

Reactions: Jags
Status
Not open for further replies.