Who is guilty?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

babalu87

Nov 23, 2005
middleborough, ma.
Who opened the house today to squeeze out one more fire?

:)

Last fire honey :p

Still burning daily, and from the way my house goes, if the wife tells me to make a fire, i make a fire. Otherwise im in big trouble. I have no problem identifying who wears the pants around here....

rainy cold raw day the Mother's day and she hinted that she was cold. My oldest daughter prepared dinner Chicken Parm
to die for. 73 degrees inside now I'm guilty the stove is going

We've been lighting up chill chasers every night for the past week with lows about 40. Probably not tonight, it's still 56 and they're talking 80 degrees for tomorrow.

still burning nights, 40 and rainy at night, 50 and rainy days. Welcome to spring.

Steve

still having the occasional 2 hour fire upstairs and downstairs. gotta keep warm watching the sopranos

will this rain ever end!!!!!!!!!
someday when the sun comes out again i can find what is cause the lake on my car floor :-S

Recently I haven't had to cheat by opening the windows. It's been cold enough around here to burn pretty much 24/7. No fire today tho, it's sapose to be in the 60's.

Outdoor firepit/place. I am going to build a patio with one on it this summer, if my project is approved for funding. Till then I have get my fix at my FIL's house. Going to collect the boulders for the retaining wall tonight. I actually have a couple of them to build, one will prevent one of my flower beds from getting flooded when there is heavy rain and one will give me a flat surface to build the patio.

Thread hijack alert

fbelec said:
gotta keep warm watching the sopranos

Is it me or does the show suck this year? Maybe that 2 year hiatus they go on after every season gets my hopes up too high.

48 outside and still raining. Wife had the fire place going all afternoon. And I'am with MSG wife says start a fire I start a fire.

PutnamJct said:
Thread hijack alert

fbelec said:
gotta keep warm watching the sopranos

Is it me or does the show suck this year? Maybe that 2 year hiatus they go on after every season gets my hopes up too high.

it's a very soft easy show but i think their building up to a big ending. everybody is out of control. and i can't wait until they stop this vito garbage.

back to the thread.
soapstone stoves work very nice this time of year nice soft heat that doesn't drive you out.

Steve said:
still burning nights, 40 and rainy at night, 50 and rainy days. Welcome to spring.

Steve

You guys need more insulaton in your houses!!!! If it goes up to 65+ in the day, my house will hit 75 without any heat input at all and stays above 70 all night even with 45 degree nights.

No need to burn at all.

Dylan said:
Warren said:
Steve said:

Steve

You guys need more insulaton in your houses!!!! If it goes up to 65+ in the day, my house will hit 75 without any heat input at all and stays above 70 all night even with 45 degree nights.

You must mean 65+ WITH STRONG INCIDENT SUNSHINE during the day.....OR that you have a lot of heat producing machines in your home.....or a lot of heat producing bodies.

We do have a good strong southern exposure and if we leave the front door closed the steel door can get too hot to touch, plus a couple good size windows in the livingroom. Plus the 4 kids being around all day. Cooking, laundry, fridge...It all adds up. For instance. sitting here right now, it's 48 degrees out. Inside temp is 72, with no heat on, outside it was about 65 yesterday, but was raining most of the day. I think it's the cat personally. He absorbs 1/2 the output of the stove all winter, and radiates it back during the summer.

Dylan said:
Warren said:
Steve said:

Steve

You must mean 65+ WITH STRONG INCIDENT SUNSHINE during the day.....OR that you have a lot of heat producing machines in your home.....or a lot of heat producing bodies.

Personally, I'd take heavy shade over sun for the simple fact that I can easily go out and cut some more wood to make heat in the spring when the leaves are starting to shade things, but I'm not too good at making my own free electricity yet to run the A/C in the summer :)

-Colin

I've been burning a little each evening for the past several days. I've gotten some smoke in the house before the fire takes off though. Can it be the relatively warmer temps and higher humidity that affects the draft? Any tips?

Hi velvet,

I have noticed the same problem when the outdoor temps are higher. You need a certain temp difference between the inside and outside to get proper draft. I don't know what to do about it, but I suggest starting a small fire with lots of paper and kindling. It will get warm quick and heat up your chimneypipe which helps with the draft.

carpniels

I wonder if some of the small fire lighting sticks (with wax) would get the stove/chimney hot enough to get it to draft.

A couple of Duraflames here and there. Thats it for us. Dont want to start the coal stove up till the fall. Right now I cant keep up pumping the water off my pool cover! Summer is short enough. Bring on the heat!

I don't know. We had another fire last night. My wife was threatening to turn on the oil heat. I let the fire starter stick burn for a while with the door open. No smoke, but weather conditions could have been different.

Status
Not open for further replies.