Who is ready for the blizzard ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Epic meteorologist failure, here. Predictions as of midnight were still 6-12" new snow, and we got less than an inch. How can they be that wrong, less than 12 hours out? It's fun to watch them back-pedal on the news this morning, after two days of hype.
SE Mass is taking if full on. Pesky low pressure systems! They never park where you want them to. Better to be forewarned and prepared than to be caught with your shorts down.

Reactions: Bobbin
Well considering it's the end of Jan I think we made out alright. We took a decent storm last weekend but it was really not to bad considering. Decided to go to a friends cabin. Great evening, we woke up to pouring rain and the snow was quickly replaced by freezing rain making the journey back quite interesting for both my quad and his snow machines.

2015-01-24 16.32.16.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
SE Mass is taking if full on. Pesky low pressure systems! They never park where you want them to. Better to be forewarned and prepared than to be caught with your shorts down.

+1.

Must be tough being a meteorologist - don't think there's another occupation that I can think of where you're putting your work out for as much public view & scrutiny as this. And doing it while trying to predict something as unpredictable as the weather?

Epic meteorologist failure, here. Predictions as of midnight were still 6-12" new snow, and we got less than an inch. How can they be that wrong, less than 12 hours out? It's fun to watch them back-pedal on the news this morning, after two days of hype.

Neighboring NJ governor had to repeal his "state of emergency" declaration.
emoji12.png
Model reliance? a shift 50 miles and time of deepening of make all the difference in their world.

after 3 + hours of very lt flurries, no. Plymouth county back in heavy snow since 11 am.

Just got back in , 2 hrs blowing snow, and shoveling.......detailing ...etc...back inside, hot chocolate, wood boiler Turning out 170deg water.........just started a fire in the Fireplace, trying out some Irish Peet Logs....

Pesky low pressure systems! They never park where you want them to. Better to be forewarned and prepared than to be caught with your shorts down.
I dunno, begreen. Aside from almost certain death on the Schuylkill Expressway (aka "Sure-Kill Deathway"), I actually enjoy those few surprise storms that catch us off-guard, from time to time. Reminds me of waking up to unexpected snow as a school kid.

Think of the emergency services people that have to rescue stranded motorists and the plow crews that have to dodge their abandoned cars. These folks have their hands full and put in long hours during a storm. It also takes a day or two to move in emergency power crews from different states. Having warning helps them get in place so that they can work on restoration asap.

There you go, ruining my romantic notions, again... ;lol

LOL. We got our 2" of snow in Dec. Lasted a day. That's plenty for me. Now I'm thinking of those folks in Scituate that are dealing not only with the blizzard, but also watching their cars floating down main street. This is a serious storm.

Reactions: Mule skinner
Still snowing. Looks like winter is really here now.

Tuesday Night: 5 to 8 inches of snow expected.

Friday: 1 to 3 inches of snow expected.

Sunday Night: Snow accumulating 5 to 8 inches.

Monday: Snow accumulating 8 to 12 inches.

Well, I'm encouraged that you guys don't seem to be getting what you were supposed to get. Unless that means we will get it instead.

EDIT: Ha. Just heard an update from a weather guy on the radio. Apparently it tracked further east than it was supposed to, and we won't get as much as they thought. Still blizzard warnings due to the wind though.

(Now watch it change again...)
According to what I saw it tracked 50 mi east of the tip of LI. Far eastern end got about 30" we got 20+ but hard to measure. West and the city got much less. Same thing happened w/ the 2013 storm (Nemo) except I got 33-36" that time.

All clear now. Had the good sense to go over both snow blowers recently and got them running right. Have two neighbors that found out this am that their blowers aren't running.

24" here. And still falling.
fbf289d0b5a75a4bab41b10ef492f50b.jpg
6160f8c7c57de8248f8a2239d59df79d.jpg

Wood piles and chicken coop covered.

Stick a fork in me. I'm done.

I didn't measure, but it was over my knees in the low spots.

I'm 5" 11"I'm not sure what's a drift, and what isn't.

6 doors allow you out of this place. I could get out of only one.

:mad:

Not so very long ago, there'd have been no warning at all. I'm a Mechanical Engineer, so I'm not unfamiliar with multi-variable problems, but the earth's atmosphere is a whole different ballgame...pretty much infinite-variable. Before weather satellites and the development of so-called super computers and some of the most complex and elegant programming ever yet accomplished, predicting the weather was more guess work than science. Some weather observations would trickle in from different locations, and somebody would plot them on a map and say, "Yep, it's probably gonna rain". I think it's amazing that we can be as accurate as we are today. The science and the scientists said a major weather event was forming and was most likely to follow such and such a path and have these characteristics as it unfolds...and some people think that if their predictions are off by 25 miles or an hour or two, or a foot of snow here or there, they've hosed it up. Oh please. We were told a major, dangerous weather event was approaching. A major, dangerous weather event arrived. Had the warnings not sounded, and had people not taken them seriously, and had the storm followed a slightly different track, then more people would probably be dead today. Philadelphia and New York should just thank their lucky stars and be glad that they were prepared, because next time they may not be so fortunate. If you think the meteorologists are dummies, go to school and become one to show them all how it should be done. Rick. .

Reactions: Bobbin and jatoxico
The wind is still howling here, too. No clue as to amounts (where, or in how many places should I measure?), but it's significant. The dog has been a trooper about going out, the cats have flatly refused to cross the threshold and cat box duty has been a priority today. My shop is warm and toasty, I managed to put a significant part of the current project behind me, and with luck will finish it up tomorrow.

The plows have been by regularly today, other than that only 3-4 vehicles and one snow machine. That's it. Days like today are Nature's way of telling us to take a mental health day. I'm pleased so many had the good sense to comply.

You in the path of this one Andrew?
Yes. The eye of the storm is south of me but of course, the tail end always whips around and catches us. Only 8-12 inches.

Considering we normally get 3-4 storms per year of 24+ inches, I don't mind this one. :) At least it melts every spring :)

Andrew

Yes. The eye of the storm is south of me but of course, the tail end always whips around and catches us. Only 8-12 inches.

Considering we normally get 3-4 storms per year of 24+ inches, I don't mind this one. :) At least it melts every spring :)

Andrew
Of course spring comes in July but who's counting right? :)

Reactions: Swedishchef
Of course spring comes in July but who's counting right? :)
In my 8 winters spent in Gaspe, 3 winters have had barely no snow. That meant we actually had spring! However last winter was rough. We had over 500 cm of snow fall throughout the winter. On May 5th I had 30 cm of snow covering 70% of my back yard...I wanted to vomit. 90% of the province of Quebec have spring..we don't. lol

Andrew

In my 8 winters spent in Gaspe, 3 winters have had barely no snow. That meant we actually had spring! However last winter was rough. We had over 500 cm of snow fall throughout the winter. On May 5th I had 30 cm of snow covering 70% of my back yard...I wanted to vomit. 90% of the province of Quebec have spring..we don't. lol

Andrew
I was just going to "Like" that but that's rough.

Reactions: Swedishchef
And it's not because it's cold...it's because of your Nor'Easters and the ALberta Clippers from Western Canada. We get both!! Just poor luck, bad geographical position ;)

Don't wanna jack the thread, I'll PM you.

Last edited:
photo-Shed beer.JPG photo-Ariens Pro.JPG Ditto. 24+.

Good choice of beer there DT.

Tonight I went with the Shed from VT.

Status
Not open for further replies.