1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

who is still burning?????

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by CHeath, Apr 15, 2013.

1. blujacket

blujacket Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Carrollton,Ohio
    Had one last night, will again tonight.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. TimJ

TimJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast Indiana
    I curled up under a blanket and watched a good movie
  3. NW Walker

NW Walker Member

I've been sitting around a fire outdoors every night this week since we've had such nice weather. Down to one short fire in the evening inside just to keep the house temp up.
  4. Defiant

Defiant Vermont Castings Geek

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    Burning the Encore every eve, wife likes it hot:ZZZ
    ScotO likes this.
  5. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    I've been done burning 3 times this year :mad: . Will be done again after tonight.
  6. Ralphie Boy

Ralphie Boy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern Kentucky along the Ohio River
    Not much will, that's their job!;)
    Bret Hart and Defiant like this.
  7. CageMaster

CageMaster Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central Canada
    knock on wood the last fire in our stove was this morning
  8. ScotO

ScotO Guest

still burning here, this most recent fire has been going since 8:00pm last evening. Just a couple of occasional splits on the coals. I hate burning like that, but the wife is so used to the 75 degree + temps we had in the house all winter, that I have to build evening fires due to this damm chilly spring we're having. I don't see any real relief in sight for at least the next whole week, either........

I'm ready to be done, I've already started tapping into next years wood and that really sizzles my azz......
    Defiant likes this.
  9. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    Wife started one this morning.
    WeldrDave and Defiant like this.
  10. Locust Post

Locust Post Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast Ohio
    Just look at it this way Scotty it's not really next years wood because you will be burning out of that pile again this year.
    ScotO and milleo like this.
  11. Defiant

Defiant Vermont Castings Geek

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    You have a keeper:cool:
    WeldrDave and ScotO like this.
  12. milleo

milleo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Maine
    Burning a little 2nite...It makes me happy. :)
    ScotO likes this.
  13. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    Well I just threw the last stick of wood on for the season....unless it gets cold again.
    swagler85, Locust Post and ScotO like this.
  14. Laurent Cyr

Laurent Cyr Member

Loc:
    Quebec, Canada
    Still burning here too. 37F tonight and for the next few days. Been burning standing dead pine. There is still some snow in the bush here. It will be weird to stop burning though... this is my first year, and it was quite the learning curve. Now I need to find 3 years worth of wood. I must have gone through 5 cords this year. I can`t imagine having to cut, split and stack 15 full cords of wood. :)
  15. Locust Post

Loc:
    Northeast Ohio
    Started the stove back up last night and it's got a fire in it tonight again. Probably won't put any in it tomorrow morning, supposed to hit 68 and nicer Saturday. I tried a few evening with the gas boiler but just wasn't the same.
  16. charly

charly Guest

Going down in the 30's the next three nights here,, Fireview is still running along... I leave her going all day with a load as well, even though we are in the 50's -60's, open a few windows and leave the stove down low in a slow cat burn,, coals for the evening....love that you can get some gentle heat from the stones when you want..
  17. CHeath

CHeath Member

Loc:
    Northwest NorthCarolina Mtns
    Keep it going guys! Let us know when you are done!
  18. Locust Post

Loc:
    Northeast Ohio
    I am officially done till fall. Anymore heat needed and the gas boiler will have to do.
  19. JoeyD

JoeyD Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Jersey
    No fire yesterday but I woke up this morning and the house was 60 degrees which is not acceptable to the boss so I have a small fire going with some red maple just to take the chill off. Looking at the forecast I see at least a few more fires this week.
  20. wingsfan

wingsfan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Jackson,Mi.
    That's what I thought a month ago.
  21. Seanm

Seanm Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SE BC Canadian Rockies
    Tonight is one of the few nights since the fall that I havent had a fire. Last night I loaded the stove with Lodgepole Pine and at 10 am this morning there were still coals so I put a few splits in to keep it going. I was in between meetings and came home around noon and all the windows were open and the house was to warm. Tonight I was the only one who wanted a fire so I let it go. Sitting in front of a cold stove right now but its going to get fired up again tomorrow night after we get home from the rodeo. Forecast says it wont get past 9c tomorrow and down to freezing. Big change from just days ago when the icicles were hanging off the trucks and snow was everywhere. Small hints of spring today, noticed the garlic coming up and the raspberries have the first sign of buds.
  22. colin.p

colin.p Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Ottawa Canada
    I ran out of decent wood a month ago so I'm using up my old silver maple that I have had kicking around for a few years. A little punky in spots, but keeps the oil furnace from coming on during the evening. Unfortunately, the stuff won't burn over night so the furnace does come on in the morning.

I have slowly been working on the trunk pieces this year, that require me to go at both sides with my PP4218 (the tree was 106 years old and the trunk was 40 + inches wide). Surprising, the wood is still in good shape, heavy as hell, but the Poulan does cut it. I waited 5 years to see if the wood would magically cut-split and pile all on its own, but unfortunately, I have to do it.
  23. colin.p

colin.p Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Ottawa Canada
    I have a couple of pictures of the old gal. I had an arborist come in and cut it down and cut it into fairly manageable pieces. It took him the better part of three days to down her. I asked two other guys about cutting the tree down and all but the guy, ran away screaming. P8280059.JPG P9020147.JPG P9020092.JPG
    milleo likes this.
  24. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Thought today would be the first day with no fire . . . but it was chilly this evening.
  25. NW Walker

NW Walker Member

Yeah, still going here too. I skipped a day this week, but it's below 50 for a daytime high today, so I'm getting the stove going again tonight for sure.