Who is the manufacturer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UpNoth

Hearth Supporter
May 26, 2009
Maine
The insurance company is asking for a manufacturers name of the woodstove I have. Does anybody have any information on what it may be based on the photo.

Attachments

• IMG00090.jpg
    IMG00090.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 308
never seen one like it... looks like garrison doors, but it is not shaped like a garrison, the legs look like jotul 118 legs, but it is not a jotul... could be a homemade job put together w/ asstd pieces. I would assume huge clearances as far as the insurance compy is concerned, ...36" inches in every direction, 18" of protected floorspace in every direction.

I am guessing from the rounded corners and bent top plate that it was not a home built unit, but a mfg 'ed unit. Beyond that, I ain't much help. Its a neat old bugger, but I'll bet its hungry.

UpNoth said:
The insurance company is asking for a manufacturers name of the woodstove I have. Does anybody have any information on what it may be based on the photo.

Kind of looks like a parts bin special. The nuts and bolts coming out of the ash pan don't seem to be original. The emblam doesn't seem to match the stove design (and you would think with an emblam that elaborite you would think a name would be included. The feet seem to come from another stove as they don't look like the fit right.

I've done a LOT of cragslist surfing looking for stoves and I have never seen anything close to this.

Have you tried it out?

They should not need the MFG. If its installed per the unlisted stove clearances in NFPA 211 that should be good enough. Then you can just call it an "unlisted wood stove"

From reading various insurance questions / posts on this forum I have gathered that very few insurance companies know anything about wood stoves and ask stupid irrelevant questions, and generally quote generic clearances that make no sense for modern stoves.

jtp is correct in the "unlisted" clearance issue per nfpa 211. expounding on that, the unit should have a "data tag" manufactured units must have one at the time of production, this tag would list "tested to" specs and clearances. if the tag has been removed or rendered unreadable, it becomes at that time an "unlisted" unit and to be legal must be installed per the nfpa-211 specs.

From looking at the pic, the clearance to the combustible rear wall isn't even close to spec ... I'd guess it's no more than 18". Unless there's a rear heat shield, it's too close. Not to mention that the (apparently) single-wall pipe is even closer to the wood surface wall.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Status
Not open for further replies.