Who keeps notes?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johninwi

Burning Hunk
Aug 22, 2014
madison wisconsin
I've finally started writing things down for the stove. I'm recording the weights of corn and pellets used, (fish scale) the stove top temp, ($4.00 grill thermometer), stove settings, room temp, outdoor temp and cleaning frequency. I've also built a manometer, clear vinyl tube and a ruler, and my stove draws to much air, >0.5.

I'm have to believe others are doing this too, wondering what you've all learned in doing so. What's worth recording and what isn't.

This shouldn't have been a surprise bit I've seen the stove top temp is a good indicator of the heat exchanger needing cleaning, stove top had been at 180* the previous day, the following day it was 140*, i gave the HX a quick scrape, welding gloves are highly recomended and the top temp returned to 180*. At the time i was burrning 75% corn with ther stirrer installed and i believe the high draft was pulling the fuel out before it was completely burned, it would fill the ash bucket in 3 days. I also had 1 occcasion where the ash bucket was hot, pushed about a 1" layer to the side and found a glowing (burning) layer.

I know there are forum members who keep notes ... even graphs tracking pellet usage complete with outside temps;lol There are folks here that are using Nest (or similar) thermostat and I would imagine those produce stats as well. Take a wander through the threads using the search box and see what you find;)

Im one of these people who keep track of their pellet usage. Ive been doing it since my stove was installed. I do it by volume. for example. I have 2 pellet buckets that hold 1/2 bag each. If one of the buckets is 1/2 full, that's 1/4 bag. Every morning, when I top off the stove I see how full the buckets are after and this tells me how many bags, or partial bag Ive used in the last 24 hours. I also download degree day data so I can see how much I use relative to outside temperature. I do all this for a couple of reasons. First, I like to quantify how much money Im saving relative to burning oil. Second, Ive been steadily making energy efficiency improvements to my house and Im curious about how these improvements are reducing my usage and thus saving me money.

I'm a "nuts and bolts" guy 24/7 and I get it. Apologies to those who analyze these things, but to me....it serves no useful purpose to spend the time counting bags, measuring temperatures, sifting ash, and making spreadsheets, etc. I bought the best stove (my opinion) that money can buy for a reason. When it needs a bag of pellets, I put one in. When it doesn't, I don't. When my supply gets low, I buy more. My life partner is warm and toasty and that makes my life really good when she's happy. That's that....

I track pellets used, which performed best, electricity used, have a weather station, etc. I find it enjoyable and useful, and our costs and energy used are down about 1/3 because this. Those who don't see the usefulness of data will never understand it, and those of us who do will never understand them. We'll just keep answering their questions...

Usually took notes when in the first year with a stove. Even had two stoves setup side by side and could swap the venting at will. Interesting to see when like weather conditions and the difference in fuel consumption. Time to heat, maintenance needed, volume. Only when done in same area and conditions can one get a true idea of how well a stove works. Glad the stoves have a decent resale value.

Status
Not open for further replies.