Who makes a decent weed whacker ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So the Stihl has given up.
Who makes a good weed whacker?
Is this going to turn into the Chevy verses Ford debate? I hope not.:confused:
Nothing too crazy to use it on just ferns and grass!

I have had three curved shaft Echo trimmers over the last 30 years and they have been excellent. One I burned up due to a misreading of the 1 oz. and the 1 gal. fill marks on my 2 cycle oil measure, but I still have the other two and use them regularly. They seem to thrive on neglect, always start on a couple of pulls, and run steady and smooth. However, the smaller models now come with that awful Rapid-Loader and you either have to buy a larger unit or pay extra for the two line bump and feed head.

I also have a heavy straight shaft Stihl that I use on small trees and heavy growth, much like your FS81. It is 15 or more years old, is a bit fussy, but going strong.

I have an FS-80 that I had for years. I didn't do any maintenance at all to it and it finally crapped out. New carb, plug, and filters and it's going strong again.

How old was your Sthil? I have had my Sthil KM130 (it's part of the Kombi line) for eight years and it has been awesome! What's the story behind yours?

At least 15yrs..It crapped out right after buying a new fuel tank :mad:, I ran it for a while and wouldn't start anymore.<>

I wish I could comment, but I've had my RedMax since '96.

The head finally came apart last year. I must say that the Oregon speed feed head is a thing of beauty.

Reactions: SCOTT S.
If you have a good Stihl dealer around,
I would consider a new Sthil. 15 years isn't too bad for a trimmer. Perhaps something from their "pro" line?

I've had a stihl fs100rx for 7 years. No problems or complaints

What about fixing yours? Could be as simple as a dirty carb or bad diaphragms. You can take your model # and search ebay - there may be an AfterMarket carb for cheap.

Reactions: Knots
I'm trying to stay away from gas powered tools that don't get used regularly. I made that choice to avoid fuel issues that can come from long term storage. My ryobi battery powered weed whacker has been great for three years so far. No problems with battery life. I use it for the normal yard stuff and also to trim the ferns, salmon berry, and salal off the trails in my woods.

What about fixing yours? Could be as simple as a dirty carb or bad diaphragms. You can take your model # and search ebay - there may be an AfterMarket carb for cheap.

This. I bought a complete Zama (with the Stihl logo on the side) carb off ebay for less than 30 bucks. Looked just liked the original carb and I was back in business.

I have a Ryobi that you can change the attachments on. I've had it for close to 10 years now and haven't had any problems.

The unit has NEW Tank,fuel line,Carb diaphragms, Coil, plug.
I'll look for a head unit.

I have had a Stihl for the last 10 years or so. Can't recall the model but it's been great only
Issue was I had to replace pull cord.

I have a 20 yr old stihl that still runs strong. two yrs. ago I got two shindowa trimmers in bill's will absolutely love them smooth power and lots of it.
Oregon speed feed head is a thing of beauty.
Shindowa is the oem for speed feed. I think echo bought out shindowa. I think you will be happy if you spend a little more, stihl, Husqvarna ,echo will all threat you right.

Stihl are good IMO.
Nearly every lawn service I see run Echo. Must be a reason for that...

Shindowa is the oem for speed feed. I think echo bought out shindowa.

I'm sure you're right, and Oregon just puts their name on it. Mine came in a package like this.

dscf2449.jpg

The unit has NEW Tank,fuel line,Carb diaphragms, Coil, plug.
I'll look for a head unit.

If it has an air leak, none of the new components you mentioned will matter. This requires a vacuum tester.

Did you pull the muffler to inspect for scoring yet?

Stihl trimmers are great and the new ones are the easiest starting models I've ever used. I also have a 30 year old Echo that won't die and lightweight Homelite that's pushing 20 years and has never given me trouble.

Reactions: Lingasaurus
My Echo trimmer (srm260) and edger (-280) have been flawless performers for many years. The Stihl FS85 I got for my father works great. The Stihl FS200 I used for years with a blade before giving it to my father in law worked great. When I was in high school and undergrad in the 1990s, we ran Shindaiwa trimmers commercially and they performed great. I am currently eyeballing Husqvarna's forestry clearing saw, which gets good feedback from those who have run it.

I think the trick is to get a pro-grade model from any of the big manufacturers, feed it good fuel and oil, and run good line on it. The homeowner models with curved shafts seem to give trouble sometimes, though not always, when used past suburban homeowner levels of use.

Of all the trimmers I have run, though, the Echo srm260 is by far my favorite. Great power, smooth operating, and even though it is a bit cold blooded, it is a superb machine that is not in the least bit tiring to use.

Reactions: Clyde S. Dale
Like computer user, I have an Echo SRM-260. I bought it used at my dealer about 4 seasons ago and prior to that it spent time with a landscaping service. Comsemtically and mechically sound with maybe 50 hours on it since purchasing used (not sure hrs prior). Echo makes excellent OPE along with Stihl, Husqvarna, Red Max, etc. I always recommend purchasing from a local dealer you trust and that has a good reputation regarless of brand.

Echo bought Shindaiwa and if you put them side by side they now appear to be same trimmers on the lower end of their lines. Shindaiwa is preferred by many professional lawncare companies. I had a Shin. T27 for about 15 years and when my back gave out on me I sold on eBay and only lost $100, got $200 for a 15 year old trimmer not bad. We now have a Dolmar that is no longer sold in the US because it can't meet the emissions stds. It's probably the lightest pro gas trimmer out there. Everyone grabs it over the Husqvarna with the changeable shaft attachments. If I were buying one today I'd buy an Echo SRM-225, it the same trimmer as a Shin. T235 but I think it has a different shaft. The Echo has a great warranty and it's fairly lightweight but not as light as our Dolmar MS-20C that weighs I think 7.9lbs dry.

Third year with an Echo SRM225. Runs like a champ. Real happy with it.

Stihl are good IMO.
Nearly every lawn service I see run Echo. Must be a reason for that...

This. I did commercial landscaping through high school and college. It was all Echo and now it's the only thing I'll buy. They are tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.