Who Makes the BEST Pellets??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Fred's Hand Carved Pellets and Organic Feed Store in Rooster Poot, Arkansas. But he can only make six bags a year by hand.

That's a hard one. I'd throw Heartland in becasue of 9200 btu per lb. (highest I've seen) content but some would throw them right back out for a .70% ash content. Rocky Mountain pellets were around 9k btu with little lower ash content but they went belly up.

Shane said:
That's a hard one. I'd throw Heartland in becasue of 9200 btu per lb. (highest I've seen) content but some would throw them right back out for a .70% ash content. Rocky Mountain pellets were around 9k btu with little lower ash content but they went belly up.

I'll second that one. I burned Heartland and Eureka's last year. Liked the overall performance of the HL's best. I've tried others, but thought the burn through cleanup was best by Heartland.

Problem with this kind of question is we don't all have access to all brands. I haven't tried any of the hardwood pellets, because they are not available here. My stoves seem to do very well with the softwood, and have no issues with having to fiddle with the controls with the better brands.

This could be like trying to compare water quality and taste. It's just an opinion.

I could be approached from a scientific standpoint. THe pellet with the highest heat value and the lowest ash content with the most consistent size & density would in my opinion be the best pellet. But you are right in the sense that we're not able to compare apples to apples as the brands are regional and material is not of perfect consistency.

I'll be entering my 3rd season heating with Pellets, so my experience is somewhat limited. However, I have had the opportunity to try 4 different varieties

Bio-Plus purchased from Walmart
Energex purchased from Home Depot & a small stove shop in NH -->http://www.energex.com/
Armstrong purchased from Home & Hearth (NH) --> http://www.armstrongpellets.com/pellets.html
New England Wood Pellets purchased from Home & Hearth (NH) --> http://www.pelletheat.com/

All pellets were premium grade
All of the above were burned in my Hastings St Croix stove. I would say that any BTU output differences were difficult to detect. Bio-Plus and Energex had by far the most fines of the 4 varieties which puts them at teh bottom of my list. Ash build-up also seemed to occur more quickly with these 2 types.
Armstrong pellets had a really nice pine smell to them, which was nice, but I didn't notice that they burned with super efficiency..orm ultra low ash content.

So overall my vote goes to New England Wood pellets. Very little sawdust in each bag, and ash build-up is definitely less than what I experienced with Energex and Bio-Plus. It's also good to support a somewhat local business (for me) and I like the fact that they're not having to be trucked 1000 miles across the country to get to me. I also like the fact that I paid the same for 3 tons in 2007 that I paid in 2006. Hopefully that last point is an industry trend for 07 and beyond..though I imagine if/when oil spikes up everything else will follow.

Not sure if it is significant, but I noticed my 2007 load of NE Pellets states "up to 4% corn". Not sure what the reasoning for this was...and i'll be interested what the impact will be on the quality of the fuel. I'm guessing it won't make much difference

mkmh said:
I'll be entering my 3rd season heating with Pellets, so my experience is somewhat limited. However, I have had the opportunity to try 4 different varieties

Bio-Plus purchased from Walmart
Energex purchased from Home Depot & a small stove shop in NH -->http://www.energex.com/
Armstrong purchased from Home & Hearth (NH) --> http://www.armstrongpellets.com/pellets.html
New England Wood Pellets purchased from Home & Hearth (NH) --> http://www.pelletheat.com/

All pellets were premium grade
All of the above were burned in my Hastings St Croix stove. I would say that any BTU output differences were difficult to detect. Bio-Plus and Energex had by far the most fines of the 4 varieties which puts them at teh bottom of my list. Ash build-up also seemed to occur more quickly with these 2 types.
Armstrong pellets had a really nice pine smell to them, which was nice, but I didn't notice that they burned with super efficiency..orm ultra low ash content.

So overall my vote goes to New England Wood pellets. Very little sawdust in each bag, and ash build-up is definitely less than what I experienced with Energex and Bio-Plus. It's also good to support a somewhat local business (for me) and I like the fact that they're not having to be trucked 1000 miles across the country to get to me. I also like the fact that I paid the same for 3 tons in 2007 that I paid in 2006. Hopefully that last point is an industry trend for 07 and beyond..though I imagine if/when oil spikes up everything else will follow.

Not sure if it is significant, but I noticed my 2007 load of NE Pellets states "up to 4% corn". Not sure what the reasoning for this was...and i'll be interested what the impact will be on the quality of the fuel. I'm guessing it won't make much difference
only thing that I don't like about the NE hardwoods is the hard clinker buildup.
The NE canadians are sweet though...

PFI pellet fuel institute is currently working on a more defined labeling process to remove some of the confussion i think and if i am wrong please correct me but currently there are only two grades one being premium qualifying is less then 4% ash and grade fuel higher then 4% i think they are looking at 4 diffrent types which will get rid of some confussion out in the market.

Maybe I have not been looking hard enough...but I have yet to even see anything other than premium grade pellets for sale. Picked up a Harman P61 this year and was toying with idea of buying a lower grade...if I can find them.

I have not had really any clinker issues with the NE Hardwood pellets. What are the NE canadien pellets? Do you mean the Armstrong ones stocked by H & H? (From BC)?

mkmh said:
Maybe I have not been looking hard enough...but I have yet to even see anything other than premium grade pellets for sale. Picked up a Harman P61 this year and was toying with idea of buying a lower grade...if I can find them.

I have not had really any clinker issues with the NE Hardwood pellets. What are the NE canadien pellets? Do you mean the Armstrong ones stocked by H & H? (From BC)?
The standard grade pellets are considered high ash, I've never burned 'em but my brother in law did they were Cubex and he had to dump his ash pan almost every day........... That's alot of ash..
The NE canadians are softwood from canada, Pinnacle I believe. But bagged in Palmer, Mass..(green lettering on the bags)

The standard grade try a couple bags first before you commit to a ton..... The shortage of 05' they were the only ones left and for a reason but your p61 will burn em'.

The clinkers on the NE hardwoods were less the 06-07 season than previous years..... from what I heard due to the addition of the corn starch or corn oil whatever it was. But the pellets from the years before you needed a hammer and a chisel to remove the clinkers. I only used 1 ton of the NE hardwoods (or Jaffrey blend) last season and went back to the canadians.

I guess I should have been more sensitive to location issues... Regardless, I have never heard a bad word (other than the clinkers) about NE Pellets. My parents always burned the Hardwood, but based on these recommendations, maybe I'll try the Canadian...

FYI to all.......
Pellets and the quality can and will change from season to season.
So what you or I rave about this year could suck next year.......
I loved the Energex 05-06 season but absolutly hated them last year, and then found the canadian.
And as I eluded to earlier the Jaffrey blend in the past had the hard clinkers(at least the years I burned them)
Soft woods IMHO seem to be the way to go..............
EDIT....
"your results may vary" :)

GVA said:
FYI to all.......
I loved the Energex 05-06 season but absolutly hated them last year, and then found the canadian.
And as I eluded to earlier the Jaffrey blend in the past had the hard clinkers(at least the years I burned them)
EDIT....

Yep, I completely agree...and it makes sense since these factories are most likely using different materials, different blends year to year...if not month to month to keep their costs down. Just the nature of the fuel I guess. Generally I like the idea of getting my pellets from Home & Hearth in NH. Slightly more expensive than what you can get from Walmart and Home Depot...but if I were to get a really bad batch I feel like they'd take responsibility for it and would correct the problem. I don't feel good about buying from the big guys (like they need my business) though I have to admit that I would probably "bow" to the big stores if the savings were > 10-15%.
Certainly the local shops have much more awareness of the product too. The few times I purchased bags from HD and Walmart the associates had absolutely no clue what I was buying.

mkmh said:
GVA said:
FYI to all.......
EDIT....

Yep, I completely agree...and it makes sense since these factories are most likely using different materials, different blends year to year...if not month to month to keep their costs down. Just the nature of the fuel I guess. Generally I like the idea of getting my pellets from Home & Hearth in NH. Slightly more expensive than what you can get from Walmart and Home Depot...but if I were to get a really bad batch I feel like they'd take responsibility for it and would correct the problem. I don't feel good about buying from the big guys (like they need my business) though I have to admit that I would probably "bow" to the big stores if the savings were > 10-15%.
Certainly the local shops have much more awareness of the product too. The few times I purchased bags from HD and Walmart the associates had absolutely no clue what I was buying.
And the Fallons know thier products too....

GVA said:
mkmh said:
GVA said:
FYI to all.......
EDIT....

And the Fallons know thier products too....

Absolutely! I was counting them as a "local shop". I've always enjoyed dealing with them.

myzamboni said:
What's a 'clinker'?

From the Energex Site:
Clinkers
You may also experience in the firebox what is referred to as "clinkers". A clinker is a hard ash formation that is occasionally created when the ash that is present in the burnpot actually begins to melt. Many of today's highly efficient pellet stoves operate near the combustion temperatures that are required to melt ash. Once the ash begins to melt it may obstruct the air holes of the incoming air and affect the proper mix of air and fuel. Incorrect adjustment of the air to fuel ratio can greatly increase the likelyhood of clinker formation. This is due to the stoves inability to adequately burn the excess fuel and remove the excess ash that is building up in the burnpot. Clinkers are very easily removed by use of the ash tool or rake that is supplied with your pellet stove. This can quite often be performed while the stove is in operation. Care must be taken not to remove all of the hot coals or the stove will go out and, as always, you should be careful of the hot surfaces of the stove.

PFI pellet fuel institute is currently working on a more defined labeling process to remove some of the confussion i think and if i am wrong please correct me but currently there are only two grades one being premium qualifying is less then 4% ash and grade fuel higher then 4% i think they are looking at 4 diffrent types which will get rid of some confussion out in the market.

unless they've changed recently premium pellets have to be 1% ash content or less. And you see a big difference between the guys that are around the 1% mark and the guys that are around the .25% mark.

Shane said:

unless they've changed recently premium pellets have to be 1% ash content or less. And you see a big difference between the guys that are around the 1% mark and the guys that are around the .25% mark.
I just went back to look i guess i should have before premium is less then 1% and grade is less then 3%

Great deal on New England Pellets this weekend at Robbins Garden Center in Oxford, MA: $235/ton for both the canadian and the hardwood, and no sales tax! I'm just contemplating which one to buy... the canadians are 200 BTU/lb less than the hardwood (8,400 vs 8,200)....

mkmh said:
.though I imagine if/when oil spikes up everything else will follow.

Around here the tree cutting services shred the smaller limbs but cut the trunk up into 18" lengths so that they can load them into a truck and dump them at the landfill.....so most anytime you can find the trunks lying in some persons yard and they'll give it to you for free or you can ask the tree guys for it and again, you get it for free.

ThePhotoHound said:
Great deal on New England Pellets this weekend at Robbins Garden Center in Oxford, MA: $235/ton for both the canadian and the hardwood, and no sales tax! I'm just contemplating which one to buy... the canadians are 200 BTU/lb less than the hardwood (8,400 vs 8,200)....

a "great deal"? Ok............. :)

but theres no tax on pellets ANYTIME in MA...they are non-taxable

I know I will take a pounding for this one but lets face it. Most of this stuff is splitting hairs just like wetter vs dryer corn. I have done em all and I still say its whatever you can get that burns decently for you for the cheapest price. I never really noticed the difference except for 6 or so bags of one type I got that burned noticeably poorer. Otherwise there isn't any real difference that I can see, or feel or whatever. Asbestos hood on let her rip. Now I didn't conduct any real studies but I do tend to pick up pellets here and there 10 bags or so at a time wherever I can find it for a good price to supplement my corn.

Driz said:
I know I will take a pounding for this one but lets face it. Most of this stuff is splitting hairs just like wetter vs dryer corn. I have done em all and I still say its whatever you can get that burns decently for you for the cheapest price. I never really noticed the difference except for 6 or so bags of one type I got that burned noticeably poorer. Otherwise there isn't any real difference that I can see, or feel or whatever. Asbestos hood on let her rip. Now I didn't conduct any real studies but I do tend to pick up pellets here and there 10 bags or so at a time wherever I can find it for a good price to supplement my corn.

For the most part I am with you. Last season I paid 210 per ton for 2 tons of the hardwood NE Pellets...then was curious enough to buy one ton of the Armstrong premium pellets for 225. They were said to burn extra clean and produce higher BTU. I didn't notice any difference other than slightly higher sawdust content in the bags...possibly because they came from British Columbia.
The sawdust thing is my biggest pet peeve since my St Croix doesn't seem to do well when the auger gets full of it (i'm sure most stoves have this same problem). The additional ash produced by Energex and Bioplus wasn't enough to where I would say it was an issue. If one of the big stores started clearing them out for 150 a ton i'd be all over them.

Ah Ha Its those Brit Colombians at it again. You can snort that brown powder and either get high or start to sneeze I forget which. My stove just burns the stuff up no matter what it is but it sure can fly all over when you pour it in. For my latest stunt my auger self destructed due to a tiny flaw in the middle of the casting so I just ran it with decent corn and some pellets, around 5 to 1 mix. It worked so good that I just left it that way because there is no more black soot dust getting blown all over the place. Pulling a clinker isn't a problem even if the stove isn't designed for it and cleaning is now SOOOOOOOO Easy without that auger in the way. Funny, several guys told me they had tried it and couldn't make it work. I must be blessed or something because I just shovel the stuff in and toss it around with my mits and it works like a charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.