Who makes their own pellets?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
valley ranch said:
You've done some. I can use a mill, the pellets are too large for a pellet stove I would think, it's used for feed. I was given some set a can full between two logs and it burned like crazy. Nice for starting a stove.

Huh?

No, thanks but no info. Information like: I tried this or used that, this didn't work, that wasn't bad, is what I was looking for.

Remember General Patton? He said: when I want something done. I don't want experts. They can know it can't be done. I want men who don't know and will go ahead and do it. And I don't want any XXX XXX XXX X X X XXXXX telling them it can't be done while they're doing it.

Thanks for the direction. Good luck

valley ranch said:
Thanks, that's what I was looking for. You've done some. I can use a mill, the pellets are too large for a pellet stove I would think, it's used for feed. I was given some set a can full between two logs and it burned like crazy. Nice for starting a stove.

If I know I can make pellets I'ed buy a stove. I like you, don't like having someone in control of our fuel needs, it's bad enough with the tractors, trucks and cars.

Feed for what?

I use pelleted feed for two kinds of animals and they are lot smaller than stove pellets.

valley ranch said:
How much is it to be had for?

I just saw a small pellet mill for $400 w/o motor and $750 with diesel engine. I once saw a video of a American woman making pellet out of leaves in her front yard. She was saying she found " getting the leaves damp made a better pellet". The little machine she was using I think had an electric motor. It looked as if she would produce pellets for her home use.

Sorry, but no way in heck did you see a working pellet mill for $400! $4000 maybe but not 400. If it truly was that cheap, it's total junk. I toyed with the idea a couple of years ago and even had quotes from China for a mill and hammer mill, which you must have. I've posted on here many times in different threads about my experiences and those of others so there's plenty of knowledge here IF you're willing to do a little work and find it rather than sit back and let others point you in the right direction. It's just that, like many said, it makes no sense to do it because of machinery costs and labor UNLESS pellet prices skyrocket. It's almost like solar energy > it works but it will take 20 years to pay for itself. I'm too f'ing old to ever live to see a return! Yes, I'm a sucker for novel concepts and ideas but making pellets is a LOT trickier than you think. Don't believe all the MANY, MANY YT videos without actually going to see them work. You need the moisture content just right, you need binder, you need a good hammer mill and not that POS the woman is feeding leaves into.

Since there's only one guy that I know of currently on here in the process of startup and the many threads about 'does it work', don't blame us for being a little short. The guy should have his Chinese mill by now and in the process of finding out just how much fun it is to keep drilling out plugged holes, stick around and he'll be posting soon, I'm sure.

tjnamtiw said:
The guy should have his Chinese mill by now and in the process of finding out just how much fun it is to keep drilling out plugged holes, stick around and he'll be posting soon, I'm sure.

Ahhh, The dreaded lock up from too dry a fiber. Don't know nothing about that! ;-)

j-takeman said:
tjnamtiw said:
The guy should have his Chinese mill by now and in the process of finding out just how much fun it is to keep drilling out plugged holes, stick around and he'll be posting soon, I'm sure.

Ahhh, The dreaded lock up from too dry a fiber. Don't know nothing about that! ;-)

What you always take your Metamusel ?

SmokeyTheBear said:
j-takeman said:
tjnamtiw said:

What you always take your Metamusel ?

I wasn't old enough to know that, But I do now! :cheese:

Just stuff a prune in there every now and then!!! Got the same problem. Every time I get a kidney stone, they put me on heavy antibiotics and it's LOCK UP TIME!.

On the pellet mill, they have to use a reamer on each hole to smooth them out and then polish them by running oil/sand mixture through them. I haven't tried that combo yet in my diet! I'll pass on the reamer too. My wife reams me out enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tjnamtiw said:
Just stuff a prune in there every now and then!!! Got the same problem. Every time I get a kidney stone, they put me on heavy antibiotics and it's LOCK UP TIME!.

On the pellet mill, they have to use a reamer on each hole to smooth them out and then polish them by running oil/sand mixture through them. I haven't tried that combo yet in my diet! I'll pass on the reamer too. My wife reams me out enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm in the same boat. But mine prefers the frying pan! I think she likes the ring it makes and the little birds that fly around! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.