Who Needs a Stove Thermometer When You Have a Dog...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
Loaded-up the Keystone tonight with some solid splits for a nice low temp overnight burn with the damper cracked open a bit more than usual to get the cat glowing and got distracted.

After about 15 or 20 minutes, I hear the dog, who had laid down in front of the stove, start panting very loud. I look-up, the stove is full of flames, throwing heat like on a cold January day and I think - I need to turn the damper down. Checked the stove top and it was about 620 degrees and climbing.

Bottom line - if the dog is panting like crazy, stove top temp is over 600 degrees - no need to get-up and look at the stove top thermometer! LOL!!

Happy burning,
Bill

You need to lend this guy your dog.
3kb3m43l75V25Q55X4b9b8b2e7658ae651e0a.jpg

Not my dog.

I forgot the stove wide open last week. Came inside to grab something and it was pushing 85*... T Stat on the stove pegged out, thing cruising along happy as can be.

Dog... yeah it was assed out on teh couch, not a care in the world.

Feels like a cold January day here. It's about 20* and 60mph winds.

Dogometer.

snowleopard said:
Dogometer.

Each Dogometer reads differently. It's worse than the Condar/Rutland comparisons. And don't even get me started on catometers. They are all but useless due to their heat retention efficiency. I have two and have yet to trigger the panting alarm. I'd return them, but I lost the receipt.

I have made the cat pant, even a chicken will pant if it's hot enough outside.

The cat panting was pretty shameful for the poor animal.

Primary function of a catometer is the detection of unacceptable levels of cold.

I don't have a dog, but I can tell the temp of the stove just walkin by and glancing into the mancave where the 30 is....
Mr Gamma is a pretty good indicator....

I can tell how hot it is by the amount of clothing he does or does not have on... :wow:
as well as his body position; vertical=warm, horizontal=hot

I know its pretty darn hot if I see the lil red dots blinkin all around on the wall around the stove from the IR gun... :lol:

GAMMA RAY said:

I can tell how hot it is by his body position; vertical=warm, horizontal=hot

And they say I'm not family friendly!!! :coolsmile:

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
GAMMA RAY said:

I can tell how hot it is by his body position; vertical=warm, horizontal=hot

And they say I'm not family friendly!!! :coolsmile:

You not family friendly?....Pfft.....you look like a hell of a nice lady in your avatar photo.....

:lol: :coolsmirk: only kiddin....

There is a really good joke just beggin' 2 B told in that . . . but Imagonna' get in trouble for it :red:

back on point . . . how hot are stoves supposed to get before ya gotta be concered?

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
There is a really good joke just beggin' 2 B told in that . . . but Imagonna' get in trouble for it :red:

back on point . . . how hot are stoves supposed to get before ya gotta be concered?

This wood stove is too hot.

images

In all seriousness, a question w/ your wood stove make and model in the hearth room can get you that answer more specifically.

In addition: I have never seen a wood stove glow like the one seen above but I have seen a pipe on an old pot belly stove so hot that I swear I could see the damper through it. The solution was the left over cabbage leaves thrown on the fire from the boiled dinner we ate. We then got rid of the stove.

pen

You have obviously not met my dog. A smooth haired fox terrier. They soak heat like a sponge.

Murphles at 8 weeks, 3 years ago. He still does it, but he's bigger. Gotta get a new pic .

10_06_13.jpg

I don't know, I have one, and a grandson. :)

Attachments

• Stove and Oggie 2.jpg
    Stove and Oggie 2.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 996
  • Lady and Trent.jpg
    Lady and Trent.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 1,004
pen said:
ISeeDeadBTUs said:

This wood stove is too hot.

images

In all seriousness, a question w/ your wood stove make and model in the hearth room can get you that answer more specifically.

In addition: I have never seen a wood stove glow like the one seen above but I have seen a pipe on an old pot belly stove so hot that I swear I could see the damper through it. The solution was the left over cabbage leaves thrown on the fire from the boiled dinner we ate. We then got rid of the stove.

pen
Pen, I went to a chimney fire once that the single wall stove pipe was so hot that it looked transparent, so I believe you could have seen the damper.

My old dog would lie against the electric baseboard heaters.

Came in teh house one day and it smelled like burning hair. Dog was pressed up against the heater so much it was cooking off his hair!

I used to live in a trailer, back in '80 or so. The previous owner had put one of those Made In Taiwan parlor stoves, that you could buy for less than a hundred bucks. It was my first year of burning and the temp was minus 20 and windy. So I picked up a couple pieces of heavy wood (had no idea at the time, what kind it was) and loaded up the stove and went to bed. I woke up during the night and saw an eerie red glow, from down the hall. The stove was making some pretty weird "huffing" noises and the stove pipe was transparent. I could actually see the damper through it. The top of the stove was beet red. I then lifted the cooking lids, and enabled the damper, and sat for a few hours watching the stove.
Interesting thing was, that normally even with the stove, it wasn't too warm in the trailer, but that night I'd say it was a hundred degrees in there. The next year, I bought an air-tight stove, that we used until we moved, 15 years later. Oh, and the wood was in fact apple.

The problem with dogometers is in fact the inconsistency between individual meters, even within the same brand..

One of these will alert at just above "comfortable" but the other will lay there until only moments before "flash point"..

But first you have to get them into position at the hearth, because if left on their own, they will self sustain their temperature on their own..

MaggieDakotabed.jpg

Although, now that the stove is a permanent fixture and full time heat, they do seem to gravitate down stairs quicker in the mornings..

IMGP1123.jpg

Hey Steve, you have two dogometers, the one by your grandson looks suspiciously like a Westie. I have one, but I have never seen her that still. She avoids the stove after giving it a good close sniff.

Milt said:
Hey Steve, you have two dogometers, the one by your grandson looks suspiciously like a Westie. I have one, but I have never seen her that still. She avoids the stove after giving it a good close sniff.
Milt, it is a Westie. Actually I cheated but couldn't help myself. The little guy is my grandson and "Lady" is his dog. They are in front of my son's stove in his house. The other one is my "Oggie" in front of our kitchen stove. So I am back to one dogmeter :coolsmile: although they are both at my house a lot. It is just such a cute picture, I had to post it. Lady will lay so close she feels like she is on fire, and you have to scoot her out of the way to reload. As you can see, she has the prime spot.

Dakotas Dad said:
The problem with dogometers is in fact the inconsistency between individual meters, even within the same brand..

One of these will alert at just above "comfortable" but the other will lay there until only moments before "flash point"..

But first you have to get them into position at the hearth, because if left on their own, they will self sustain their temperature on their own..

MaggieDakotabed.jpg

Although, now that the stove is a permanent fixture and full time heat, they do seem to gravitate down stairs quicker in the mornings..

IMGP1123.jpg

That's awesome. My golden/collie cross used to do that all the time ! The hair ;-P

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
You have obviously not met my dog. A smooth haired fox terrier. They soak heat like a sponge.

Murphles at 8 weeks, 3 years ago. He still does it, but he's bigger. Gotta get a new pic .

10_06_13.jpg
I love that one. No wonder they steal our hearts!

tfdchief said:
Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:

10_06_13.jpg
I love that one. No wonder they steal our hearts!

He was new, the stove was new, it was a very serious Fall :) Chester (chow/shephard rescue) had passed the beginning of September, Murph came the second week of October from Oregon. I picked him up in the the town of Chesterville, in Chesterville count, PA. It was very fitting, I think ;-)

My first terrier. It's an experience, but I love him :)

10_06_2.jpg

snowleopard said:
Primary function of a catometer is the detection of unacceptable levels of cold.

HAH !! We have an idiot who bolts outside in 2 feet of snow, and then cries because he has to stay outside whilst shoveling is going on
action-smiley-073.gif
I'll try to get pics of Bob :roll:

Sounds like that cat is growing on ya, Snow
grinning-smiley-007.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.