Who put the cat on their boiler ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidV

Nov 20, 2005
Richmond VA
I think it was last year that someone retrofitted a catalyst to their outside boiler. I was wondering how that worked out and what it looks like this year?

DavidV said:
I think it was last year that someone retrofitted a catalyst to their outside boiler. I was wondering how that worked out and what it looks like this year?

I believe it was "Eric Johnson" who did this.
This is his Hearthnet member listing name...

Rob

Actually, I put the add-on cat on an indoor boiler (Royall) that I have set up in my barn.

It worked fine all last season (16 full cords). I checked it out the other day before firing the beast up for the first time this season, and the cat looks good. No visible cracks or degradation of the catalyst or the substrate. My original plan was to get two heating seasons out of the $200 add-on. So we'll see.

As to how it works, I'd say OK. You're not going to the kind of performance out of an add-on that you will with a unit that designed into a wood stove, but it cuts the smoke, generates a lot of heat in the boiler room and keeps creosote from forming in the stack.

Status
Not open for further replies.