Who reccommends the leaf blower treatment?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dhungy

Feeling the Heat
Jan 7, 2010
Fingerlakes
After a very bad experience pulling apart my Astoria last year to clean I wonder who suggests using the leaf blower. I will still take apart the stove and clean the motors but I don't want to separate the stove from the exhaust. After my leaky exhaust experience with my England.

I use the leaf blower every week to clean my Quad. Cuts down the dust in the house tremendously. I have done this for the last year and a half and have yet to see any negative results. In fact when I took it apart for spring cleaning the only thing needing cleaning was the convection blower. No ash or buildup above baffle plates or in exhaust blower. It takes me less than 10 min to clean my stove each week.

Does one leaf blower work better than another?

I use my leaf blower and it works nicely. I run a brush in first from the outside to loosen up the ash and then attach the vacuum end of the blower and it sucks it clean. I hook a long 2 inch pvc pipe on the end to get the ash blowing away from my house and my face. Pay attention of the wind. It does make a mess of your blower. When I am finished I use and air compressor to clean off the blower.

Is it worth buying a new one?

When you are shopping, get one with the highest CFM (cubic feet of air per minute) rating. And one that will vacuum.

Mine is a Toro, 390cfm, 12amp.

After brushing I used to vacuum out all the fly-ash laying in the bottom of the vent pipe using some PVC extensions I made for the shop vac. Only trouble with that is I was worried about one of the vac attachments slipping off and getting stuck in the vent pipe. Changed to cleaning the vent pipe with the leaf blower (switched to vacuum) to eliminate that risk and found it did a better job of cleaning too. My pellet vent pipe is about 15 feet long with two 45 degree bends in it.

What do you think of this?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_79600-70-BV2500_4294801382_4294937087_?productId=3044008&Ns=p_product_price|0&pl=1&currentURL;=/pl_Blowers_4294801382_4294937087_?Ns=p_product_price|0&state=R#prod-tabs

dhungy said:
What do you think of this?

http://www.lowes.com/pd_79600-70-BV2500_4294801382_4294937087_?productId=3044008&Ns=p_product_price|0&pl=1&currentURL;=/pl_Blowers_4294801382_4294937087_?Ns=p_product_price|0&state=R#prod-tabs

Looks like a good one. 320cfm & 12amp motor.

Check out the Leaf Blowers at Home Depot - they have a HomeLite model (it acts as a leaf blower as well as a leaf vacuum) there that goes for $39, 2-speed 12-Amp so plenty of power. You can also easily fit a 5" to 4" PVC sewer pipe adapter on it to make it easier to attach to your 4" PL vent. The 5" portion of the pipe fits perfectly into the suction port of the electric HomeLite Leaf Blower.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

just a hint, clean out you stove inside before you do the leaf blower vac cleaning. Plug the auger shoot feeding the burn pot. if you don't, you might get pellets being sucked right out of the auger feed. Then don't forget to remove the plug before you turn your stove back on. You also might want to make sure you either was a dust mask or turn on the power after you are way out of the way of the exhaust. That ash is nothing you'll want to be breathing in. Takes longer to get things out and put back than it does to do the cleaning.

Safest thing to do is remove all pellets from the hopper, or run a "last burn" where you let your stove just run out of pellets for the season. Clean out the stove thoroughly with a brush and vacuum, and run a brush through the PL vent to loosen up any ash or soot stuck to the pipe liner. The advantage of the leaf blower, from what I've read, is that it effectively empties ash/soot out of the PL vent without the homeowner having to worry about getting any ash and dust inside the house from brushing (assuming the homeowner is diligent about where they aim the leaf blower outlet), plus the power of a leaf blower alone will easily draw out some of the finer ash/soot that manual brushing may not touch, as well as pulling debris out of the outer PL vent.

hey guys just wondering if there is a thread that explains how to leaf blow your stove step by step, because i plan on doing this at this burning seasons end but not really sure what I am blowing etc., thanks

dhungy said:
After a very bad experience pulling apart my Astoria last year to clean I wonder who suggests using the leaf blower. I will still take apart the stove and clean the motors but I don't want to separate the stove from the exhaust. After my leaky exhaust experience with my England.
I do the leaf blower once a month and it make such a huge difference with the flame.
I'm burning Ligs and there is a LOT of ash

Seems like this could be hard on the combustion blower... Could this high velocity suction cause the combustion fan to spin at speeds far higher than it's rated for (balance) which could bend a shaft, score a bushing or tweak a bearing...? Worse yet, some might tolerate it, some may not. Only time will tell since problems with stressed components could take days, weeks or years to surface. No leaf blower for me unless it's endorsed by the manufacturer.

I hook up my leaf blower after removing my vent cap and leave it on the entire time I am cleaning the stove. Keeping the stove under a vacuum the entire time ensures any fines are carried away and ensures that I keep the ash/dust out of the house. I also use my compressor and air gun to clean in those tight spots such as the heat exhanger tubes and those hidden areas I cannot reach with a brush or vacuum. A clean breathing stove is a happy (and might I add: SAFER) stove!!!

Go Pack Go!

lbcynya said:
Seems like this could be hard on the combustion blower... Could this high velocity suction cause the combustion fan to spin at speeds far higher than it's rated for (balance) which could bend a shaft, score a bushing or tweak a bearing...? Worse yet, some might tolerate it, some may not. Only time will tell since problems with stressed components could take days, weeks or years to surface. No leaf blower for me unless it's endorsed by the manufacturer.

I was wondering the same thing.

Checkthisout said:
lbcynya said:

For ten years I've been using a Shop Vac, 4 HP, 20 gal without a problem with the combustion blower. Just stick the hose as far down the exhaust pipe as I can get it (to the first 90 degree elbow). I've had it in the pipe as long as 15 minutes. Don't know if the combustion motor even turns.

Another thing to watch out for is the damaging the low pressure switch with too much vacuum pressure. I make sure I have the door wide open before starting the leaf blower.

Checkthisout said:
lbcynya said:

Perhaps you should find a way to tell if the vacuum even causes the blades to turn at all.

Just because the blades spin to create an airflow it isn't required that they spin because there is an airflow.

They spin on the Castile for sure, sounds like a jet engine. I kinda like it. Now one may have seen my other posts about comb blower replacements, note that this is the first year I've done the leaf blower. I also use the shop vac from inside out, made a fake brick with a hole in it to attach to the blower option of the shop vac. That works ok too. I would think the fan free wheeling for a limited bit really wouldn't cause damage, but I have nothing to base that on other than intuition?

Czech said:
They spin on the Castile for sure, sounds like a jet engine. I kinda like it. Now one may have seen my other posts about comb blower replacements, note that this is the first year I've done the leaf blower. I also use the shop vac from inside out, made a fake brick with a hole in it to attach to the blower option of the shop vac. That works ok too. I would think the fan free wheeling for a limited bit really wouldn't cause damage, but I have nothing to base that on other than intuition?

Funny there Czech a Castile frequently sounds like a jet engine if my brother's one is any indication.

Status
Not open for further replies.