who said pre epa stoves are junk

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fbelec

Minister of Fire
Nov 23, 2005
Massachusetts
last night i loaded the defiant to the gills with 2 pine splits and the rest maple including 1 maple 6 by 6 and one 5 x 5. last night i loaded at 11:30 at 400 stove top temp and at 8:30 this morning it was at 325. house over night went from 71 at 11:30 to 78 at 8:30. last nights low was 3 outside.

those out here running a old defiant put a brick in the secondary burn chamber right under the air manifold ( or straight to the far right of the stove. it will not block the opening ) it helps the secondary big time. after loading the stove on coals wood up against the baffle the secondary lit right away and it sound like a low flame rumble when checked 1 hour after loading. the brick fits perfectly like it was made for it. this might work for the vigilant also. it helps cushion the secondary temps

Reactions: harryfatcat
I dont think anyone says pre epa stoves are junk... quite the contrary! I keep an old defiant out in the outbuilding as a trash burner and brush burner and anything else i can find when i need to go out their on a cold day.... LOVE IT!

Reactions: tfdchief
i'll see if i can grab a picture this weekend. got to wait til it's not running and i'm not behind a plow.

it's hard to see but i took a dozen different shots with no results
sorry for being late. i do plan to line the secondary camber with brick this summer. IMG_20130301_221536_610.jpg

as per your title, I'll say this: Not all pre-epa stoves were created equal!

Many good stoves from the era, some could survive and protect you from a nuclear blast, others were quite efficient, some ornate, etc.

Burn'm if ya got 'em.

pen

Still rockin old smokey here. He's got a big appetite but cranks heat for 16 hours between reloads.

The Kent Tile Fire from 1986 is a fine old stove. Has a steel burn chamber in top of fire box, so it's like EPA lite. Last night had a 9 hour burn with lots of red coals for easy start up this morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.