1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Who Said the Electric Splitter was a Waste?

Post in 'The Gear' started by velvetfoot, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    There are "slow-blow" versions, but the average fuse/breaker will pop almost exactly as rated.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
  3. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    It sure is possible that some may require a 20 amp circuit.
  4. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

I used a 15amp circuit and a 50ft extension and it never had a problem well till the seals blew that is!

Pete
  5. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    On sale and with a 20% off coupon $340.00, The Harbor Freight 7 ton has split every thing I put on it, including 20" rounds,except knotty elm

Attached Files:

6. mywaynow

mywaynow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast
    Other 4 tons shown on Amazon are 15 amps. 15 amps x 120v = 1800 watts.
  7. Ehouse

Ehouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY

Thanx, It's a little confusing to me as some of the the 4/7ton 2 speeds I've looked at are rated at 1500watt/ 2300watt but still operate on "standard house current". Presumably the speed is slower at the 7 ton setting?
  8. mywaynow

Loc:
    Northeast
    I would take from that difference that the amperage draw is different. Basically amp rating will be similar to hp rating in gas liquid fuel engines.Iza bigga mota! I have had to learn the watt to electric method before as I needed to run specific machinery off the service truck. Currently running 3500 watt inverters.
  9. Ehouse

Ehouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY

Some of the 4 ton splitters are 2hp, some are 3hp, and some 5 tonners are 3hp. Maybe not running constant duty allows for a higher draw intermittently (surge)? Trying to figure if I can run a 4/7 ton with a small portable genset. Seems like a 2000 watt genny may run a 4/7 ton 3hp machine.
  10. mywaynow

Loc:
    Northeast
    If you are not going to split nasty stuff, I would bet the draw will be south of 1400 watts. Can't see how a splitter would max out draw unless under stress/load. Is there secondary pumps, or are these even hydro?
  11. Ehouse

Ehouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY

Some of them, at least, list reservoir cap., so they're electric over hydraulic. It doesn't take a lot of motor to do a lot with hydraulics. I've got a bucket truck with E/H and the motor is smaller than a coffee can. We used to jack mega-ton railroad bridges with a small (2-3 hp) gas/pump/ res. unit supplying 4 jacks on the corners.
  12. MrWhoopee

MrWhoopee Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shingletown, Northern California (elev. 4000 ft.)
    I've raved on about my Homelite for years. I'm sure everyone is tired of hearing it. It is my only splitter and I share it with a friend. We both use about 5 cords per year. Biggest I've split is 28 in. dia. black oak and 30 in. dia. Douglas fir. I'll buy another when this one quits.

2841262800052106007RqOCqx_fs.jpg
  13. Ehouse

Ehouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Upstate NY

Just watched the video, very impressive.