1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Who starts fires with a torch instead of paper?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by tobaccogrower, Dec 3, 2012.

1. nate379

nate379 Guest

Been using the same BBQ lighter going on 3 years.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. cottonwoodsteve

cottonwoodsteve Member

Loc:
    Northern California
    I use a Bernzomatic 19425 JT850 Self-Igniting 20,000 BTU Outdoor Torch.
    It has a large flame, uses the standard handheld cylinders, and has a pushbutton pizo start.
    [​IMG]
  3. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

To the OP, do yourself a favor. PM/email Thomas @ Super Cedars and he'll send you two free Super Cedars in the mail. I've used the torch before, I don't like it, my wife freaks out about using it in the house (I know but ... you know), and to be honest, it doesn't light fires as well as a 1/4 of a Super Cedar and a Bic/match.

http://www.hearth.com/talk/members/nwfuel.31/

http://supercedar.com/
  4. tobaccogrower

tobaccogrower Member

Loc:
    Suffield Ct
    it says in the blaze king manual it should come with a super cedar. if it dosnt, i'll give him a shout. thanks
  5. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Propane torch every time.Kindling (dead twigs,corn cobs,scrap wood,coarse shavings,occasionally a piece of old candle or Super Cedar).I use it lighting the Weber kettle Brinkmann smoker also one $3 bottle of propane lasts 5-6 months usually.Spent the extra money on Bernzomatic's top of the line torch head (around $35) last Spring.

All metal,only thing plastic is the on/off switch.Much more durable than the last 2 I bought over the years.Lots of uses around the shop & home,from burning weeds between paving brick sidewalk to heating a piece of steel before bending in the vise etc.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_77454-13877...1&currentURL=?Ntt=bernzomatic+torch&facetInfo=
  6. woodgeek

woodgeek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    I use one of those little butane kitchen torches and whatever firestarters I can get cheapest.
  7. oldspark

oldspark Guest

I start a lot of fires from scratch and have so for over 30 years and paper and kindling is all I ever use, I have a box of super ceders that I bought for the wife and only a couple have been used (just to try out)
  8. Nissan_Ranger

Nissan_Ranger New Member

The torch is all I use; don't even have matches anymore:)
  9. ROVERT

ROVERT Member

Torch for me, too. As long as the wood is nice and dry I don't even find I really need kindling in the traditional sense. I just pick a few of the smaller splits and hit it with the MAPP. I don't see how anything could be much easier or cheaper.
  10. tsquini

tsquini Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North Shore, MA
    I really don't like starting the stove from a cold start. Once I get the stove going for the season a rarely let it go out where I what to light it again. For the hand full of times I start the stove I use a wax fire starter. A box last me 2 years.
  11. dougand3

dougand3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    North Alabama
    Newspaper, kindling and a match for me.
    If that doesn't work, I'll use this:
    flamethrower.jpg

It's not quite as safe....but I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
    Fortunately, the former has always worked.
  12. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    I tried the torch a few times to see how it works, it works good,it's easier than wheeling in the oxy/acetylene tanks ;lol , but I just use a BBQ lighter, fire starter and maybe a couple of pieces of paper, or card board works great,pallet wood and paper, etc, all depending how I feel :)
  13. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Matches.
  14. peakbagger

peakbagger Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern NH
    I used to use a propane torch on my defiant but with my wood boiler, a few chunks of my neighbors cast off red cedar clapboards on top of the grate and a couple of newspapers under the grate and one match is it
  15. Sodbuster

Sodbuster New Member

Loc:
    Hartland, MI
    Yep
  16. Shmudda

Shmudda Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Western Pennsylvania
    Same here. Been using a torch for the last 5 or 6 years. That is the easiest way to start a fire

Craig