Who still cutting?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
How much you cutting this summer?

Nothing, too many other things to do, am looking forward to cutting up some oak and taking down some ash trees on my place this fall.

smokinjay said:

Smokin I'm still cutting, looks like I'll be stacking this weekend plus bringing some rounds out. I'm taking off the long weekend starting next Friday - Monday and hopefully will take one day for fishing.

I still have 35-40 rounds to haul out plus there is more wood down in that area so I might as well get it when I'm there.

zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Smokin I'm still cutting, looks like I'll be stacking this weekend plus bringing some rounds out. I'm taking off the long weekend starting next Friday - Monday and hopefully will take one day for fishing.

I still have 35-40 rounds to haul out plus there is more wood down in that area so I might as well get it when I'm there.

zap
I am out of here on thursday kayaks loaded already throw the gear in and I am OFF! till wensday........But will get some milling done this weekend...

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

zap
I am out of here on thursday kayaks loaded already throw the gear in and I am OFF! till wensday........But will get some milling done this weekend...

So far up here we have had a wet June after May was so dry but because of this site I had my wood cut one year ahead and about 7 face cord 2going on 3 years so it will be dry.

I hope to have over 50 face cord stacked then another 10 before the snow hits the ground (hardwood) then this winter I'll be cutting my softwood (popple & basswood).

zap

I have one large black cherry blowdown to cut up and about 1/3 of a sugar maple.. both residential lots. Going to start next week, probably with a brand new MS 290. :)

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

zap

So far up here we have had a wet June after May was so dry but because of this site I had my wood cut one year ahead and about 7 face cord 2going on 3 years so it will be dry.

I hope to have over 50 face cord stacked then another 10 before the snow hits the ground (hardwood) then this winter I'll be cutting my softwood (popple & basswood).

zap

15 cords or 45 face cords a big pile of rounds and the scrap coming off the mill....4 monster trees that have and I meen have to get done this fall.....25-30 cords should be done before the burning season even starts...Next year will be more milling and less stacking "I hate stacking"

homebrewz said:
I have one large black cherry blowdown to cut up and about 1/3 of a sugar maple.. both residential lots. Going to start next week, probably with a brand new MS 290. :)

Nice wood! Dont forget pic's you know what happens with out them!

homebrewz said:

Sugar Maple for the cold nights and the cherry all day, it's nice wood to burn even better when it's free.

zap

Cutting party tomorrow morning at my brother's house. We've got about 3-4 cords of log length to buck, all hardwoods he had taken down last fall. I also have a few dozen small to medium sized trees around my house and driveway that I need to take down. Hopeing to actually get a half season or more ahaed this year...somehow I doubt it'll work out.

It never ends, man. I don't go to the woods in the summer, but I take whatever opprtunity offers. My neighbor finally decided he wants the dead ash out of his yard. Done a lot of storm cleanup the last few weeks. One of my bosses has some good size cherry trees he wants out of his yard. Farmer friends clearing a small woodlot after the wheat is off. I take the easy stuff in the summer, go to the woods in the winter.

Nice wood! Dont forget pic's you know what happens with out them![/quote]

Here is a pic of the cherry. There is actually a car behind the mass of brush, but you can't see it.

Attachments

• tree4.jpg
    tree4.jpg
    220.1 KB · Views: 925
  • Tree_1.jpg
    Tree_1.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 934
homebrewz said:

Here is a pic of the cherry. There is actually a car behind the mass of brush, but you can't see it.[/quote]

You'll get some nice wood from that.

zap

homebrewz said:

Here is a pic of the cherry. There is actually a car behind the mass of brush, but you can't see it.[/quote]

Nice chunk of wood there......

I'll be cutting and splitting all summer if I can keep wood coming in. I'm really trying to get ahead a few years so next year I can just replace what was used. Looking at some downed stuff tomorrow, fingers crossed it's worth going after!!

I havent been cutting much , Way way wet here , just finished with 5 inches of rain in the last week and more for the weekend . The swamp has anywhere from 6 inches to 3 feet of water in it , It better start drying soon or its going to be ugly cutting this fall . Mean while all the saws got serviced chains are sharp and spare chains are all set to go . I did split 4 full cord for my old man fathers day before breakfast ,,,,,Sure is nice to have a fast splitter .
The plan now is hopefully will be setting up wood processing camp the week before labor day ,then it will be non stop cutting splitting and hauling till early November .

its too hot and i have been to busy. I have not cut anything for a good 2 months. I have about 10 trees that people want down but just to busy right now and most understand because they are friends and family. I have about a years worth of rounds sitting in a pile waiting to be split. It will more than likely be fall until i get to them.

webie said:
I havent been cutting much , Way way wet here , just finished with 5 inches of rain in the last week and more for the weekend . The swamp has anywhere from 6 inches to 3 feet of water in it , It better start drying soon or its going to be ugly cutting this fall . Mean while all the saws got serviced chains are sharp and spare chains are all set to go . I did split 4 full cord for my old man fathers day before breakfast ,,,,,Sure is nice to have a fast splitter .
The plan now is hopefully will be setting up wood processing camp the week before labor day ,then it will be non stop cutting splitting and hauling till early November .

We got 4 inch's in 3 hours tuesday A.M. never seen so munch rain should make some big trees...lol and the average is very very high even kayaking been to bad.

I am still cutting. I am putting in a road through the forest and knocking down trees and finding alot of dead stuff. It has been fun putting in a trail in the woods and learning how, and what size tree, to knock over with the Bobcat.

Still cutting here about 10 Ash trees done so far and about 15 more to go. Always nice to have a good stash of Ash!

Still cutting, but I've slowed down. Have a standing deadwood Cherry waiting for when I can get to it. Also, although it's not really 'cutting', I have about 3/4 cord of Red Oak rounds stacked and waiting for me to come get them. There will no doubt be more from time to time. I take it when I can get it. I just about have that 3 year supply I've been working towards. That's a big milestone for a fairly new wood burner like me (2-1/2 years).

Right now I am waaaay behind in my splitting as my much written about installation struggles over the past couple of years lulled me into only blocking the multiple cords of wood we have stockpiled on the yard.

Add to the this the "alliance" I found this spring with a local tree service and I now fully realize that my plan of splitting all of this wood with a maul is a pipe dream given my schedule.

I have at least 4 cords on the yard that needs to by bucked into stove length in addition to the multiple stacks of blocks.

If things go as planned a friend will be "storing" his splitter on our yard sometime this coming week and then I can attack the backlog. Thankfully we have great south exposure with East-West wind to hasten the drying process.

When the rain soaked field between our house and the large stand of bush that contains tons of standing dead and fallen ash then that will be my next priority a much of the wood I have on my yard is solid box elder/Manitoba maple. While I have no problem using the box elder for firewood I full admit that it does not have the BTU's that I need/want to cut back on my heating costs.

It seems that the song "There's a Hole In the Bucket Dear Liza" is our theme song on our yard.

Between re-roofing our home, finishing a deck, mowing, trying to enjoy the wonderful yard we have and this thing called work I have to remind my self to take a deep breath, pour myself a second cup of coffee and to sit down by our firepit and relax once in a while.

GolfandWoodNut said:
I am still cutting. I am putting in a road through the forest and knocking down trees and finding alot of dead stuff. It has been fun putting in a trail in the woods and learning how, and what size tree, to knock over with the Bobcat.

It sure is!! I am going to the UP the end of next week. Get out all the toys and cut some wood!!!!! I got firewood and saw logs down all over the place and am looking forward to playing with the saws. I put in 1 1/4 + miles of trails in the last year and have lots of wood to get.

Sometimes you get the wood sometimes the wood get you! One problem with pushing over small trees with a dozer in thick woods is sometimes you cannot get the blade high enough to push the trees into the woods and they come back over on me. At least with a oppen cab I can cut myself out.

IMG_0754.jpg

32585_1216254781466_1681757389_410247_6965757_n.jpg

IMG_1232.jpg

Billy

cowboy billy, that is a serious piece of equipment. I bet you can push some pretty big stumps out with that beast. The stumps give me the most trouble, some come out easy, some I have to go around. I guess you need different equipment for different needs. I can finally get around most of my property (I put in about a mile so far) with a quad now and get to alot of wood, and enjoy the woods. More wood than I need. I have some huge trees here that I know are worth some money, but I hate the thought of cutting them down. Maybe some selective cutting someday, I can imagine if they ever come and take it all at once it will be a cluster f.

:ahhh:

mayhem said:
Cutting party tomorrow morning at my brother's house. We've got about 3-4 cords of log length to buck, all hardwoods he had taken down last fall.

2 guys, 2 saws, 2 hours. We were very close to finishing the bucking, but simply ran out of time.

Everythign was divided into 2 piles so we could work separately and safely. His saw is bigger so he worked on the larger logs and I bucked up the smaller stuff...everything from 2" to about 14", all in 4-6' lengths, which is how the tree service left it all. My pile was easier to work with but the volume was alot higher and I had to stop every 30-40 seconds to switch logs. Took a bit to adapt to a rhythm and just went till the tank went dry, grabbed a drink while the saw cooled, check the chain tension, gas it up and get back to it.

First pic is the pile I bucked, it sprawls alot on the far side, its about 4' tall in the center and maybe a 15x20' oval.

Second pic is what I had left to do. That pile was neatly stacked, about 4-5 feet tall and ran the length of his barn wall, about 20 feet.

Last pic is what he was able to get bucked up of the big logs. The smallest stuff there is about 15" or so across.

Next Saturday hopefully we'll get back up there to finish bucking and set a time to do some splitting.

Attachments

• cutting1.jpg
    cutting1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 405
  • cutting2.jpg
    cutting2.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 415
  • cutting3.jpg
    cutting3.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 407
Status
Not open for further replies.