Who thinks there is something wrong with this???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is the first time I have seen one on a vehicle other than a tractor version. The only thing I wonder about is with a auto transmission I wonder how the torque convertors holds up since they would never lock up and the excessive run time on the planetary gears in the auto trans wearing prematurely. If manual trans no problem.

It seemed to work pretty good.

All he needs now is three more and he could terrorize soccer moms in the car-pool lane. :lol:

Why doesn't he have his truck stereo cranked up? His door is open, come on dude, rock out some Motorhead or Pantera while you splitting. I like the custom tail pipe so your not sniffing fumes all day.

If one TINY little piece of his glove or t-shirt get anywhere close to the point of that , they will be calling him stumpy for the rest of his life. That is unless he falls onto it after and they call him the late Mr. Woodchopper

For reference, the tractor version that I own is on the link in my sig. Yes, it is very dangerous.

The rear end plentary gears are being used a lot here but little load and plenty of lube so I think they'll be fine. On an auto trans, you'd better not put it in "drive" or the screw would accelerate into overdrive!

Oh and that stickler is working very slowly. I can split wood faster than a hydro splitter with my "bark buster" brand unicorn splitter. It is very fast and very dangerous.

I don't use gloves though becuase if the tip of the glove on one of your fingers gets pulled into that screw then your whole arm in going to get pulled into that screw. You might be fortunate enough to get your arm torn off before your entire body gets wrapped around that screw.

I'm guessing that rope dangling is some sort of emergency stop.

I believe the original sticklers had some sort of grounding wire attached to the truck's ignition coil to stop the spark like now! I would hate to think it but the guy's little rock and rope arrangement might be tied to the gearshift lever to pull the tranny into neutral.

Highbeam's right about ditching those gloves... I'd use one of those PTO sticklers before I'd split by hand aging. Splitting a little here and there in the winter is one thing but for making real fire wood production... no way.

struggle said:
That is the first time I have seen one on a vehicle other than a tractor version. The only thing I wonder about is with a auto transmission I wonder how the torque convertors holds up since they would never lock up and the excessive run time on the planetary gears in the auto trans wearing prematurely. If manual trans no problem.

It seemed to work pretty good.
also alot of wear and tear on the spider gears in the rear

There are a few designs of this type of splitter.. Personally I wouldn't use one not because of safety, but due to the fact that your setting down in that position.. I would think that my back would start hurting bad just after 10 min or so..

Anyway.. here's a link to one of many types.

http://www.thestickler.com/

An old neighbor had a PTO version and he offered to help split up some stringy Birch that I had given up on with my axe. Try as we may, all we managed to do is turn it into some sort of wood sculpture that I later burned on my brush pile. I can only imagine how bad it would work on stringy Elm.

I like the version that's mounted on a hydraulic arm like you see some highway bush hogs mounted. It was splitting whole logs. Much better than trying to chainsaw a 5' diameter trunk. I toyed with getting one if these, but in the end my common sense took over and I opted to just hand split until a hydraulic came along at a good price I could afford. I'm sure they are ok if you haven't seen too many accidents, but I've seen too many to even try. I can't tell you how many times I've tripped over logs and bumped into things. Even setting your hand down in the wrong place would be awful on one of these things.

Status
Not open for further replies.