WHO USES/HAS USED A WOOD COOK STOVE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coreystaf

Aug 3, 2008
Southwest CO
I have been asked to install a wood cook stove, but I haven't had much experience with them. I am looking at reducing it from 7" to 6" with a total system height of ~15'. I don't know how these appliance tend to draft. Do they tend to draft better than average or worse? If the flue gas temperature tends to be on the hot side, I wouldn't mind reducing. If you've burned one, please let me know your experiences

Hi:

In a mountain cabin, we use a 1918 QuickMeal coal/wood stove. It draws very well with the diverty open (straight shot up the pipe). With a very hot fire, you close the diverter, and the hot gasses go over the top of the oven, down the right side of the over (fire is on left), 1/2 way under the bottom of the oven, then to the back and up the connecter pipe. When the wind is just wrong, that can be a problem. It is an ancient installation, about the end of WW II.

Dexter

I have a clarion cookstove that I have burned for the past 10 years. It goes into a chimney that is about 30 feet high so it gets a pretty good draft. I have a damper on the stove pipe that I use to slow it down when it is really roaring since it is far from air tight. I can bypass the oven when not using it however I find that it improves the heat if I leave it on and open the door. Not the most efficient stove in the world but it has worked fairly well when supplimented with a little oil when its real cold. I am going to be replacing it with a PE stove once I can find one.

Status
Not open for further replies.