Who wants to make and install a hoist?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, ordered a hoist and mounting bracket/hoist arm from Northern tools, arriving tomorrow. Gotta run power to the spot, install the bracket and hoist, and I'll be in badness by burning season.

Here's what I ordered so far, both rated for over 1000 lbs:
Hoist motor: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_420551_420551

Hoist Frame: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200485108_200485108

Going to make a big 1/2 steel L bracket to mount the hoist on the ceiling, sidways. The line will go straight out to the end of the host frame around a pully and down to the ground wit ha hook on the end to hold a small sack. I'll load the sack on the ground, hoist it up, pull it over onto the deck and unload it into my split holder about 10' away next to the stove. Hoist lifts 33.5' per minute, I only need about 20 or 25' or something like that, so should take less than 1 minute to hoist and the duty cylce for the motor is 2 minutes on, 8 minutes rest/cool down which will work perfectly.

I'll post some pics when installed...

Why not put the hoist motor on the frame and swing it all over the railing for unloading? Seems like that would be a much simpler solution. The only problem might be clearance over the railing?

Why not put the hoist motor on the frame and swing it all over the railing for unloading? Seems like that would be a much simpler solution. The only problem might be clearance over the railing?

Clearance would be an issue. Weather (I'm on salt water) and rust would be an issue with the motor hanging out in the weather 24x7x365. Looks would be an issue, who wants a 65lb 14"x8" black industrial motor hanging off the back deck of their "beach house". ..... I'm going to tuck the motor in under the deck roof, all you will see is the hoist bracket folded in against the side of the house above the deck.

build a gate

$7 from Dino, already on way. I've never seen "sand" at a Home depot (or any other store) on LI. LI is basically a giant SANDbar, doubt we need sand. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.