Who was it -South Bend, Indiana

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cityboy172

Feeling the Heat
Feb 6, 2014
NW Indiana
Was in a supply house in South Bend, getting some stuff for a job, and asked a few questions about my up coming switch to a gasification boiler. The guy said there was someone else about 2-3 weeks ago that was doing the same thing. Just woundering who it was, it wouldn't hurt to have someone else in the area to bounce ideas off of. So, who was at hydronic?

Edit- Found him.

Last edited:
R Snyder and city boy, I'm wondering what brand you went with?

I'm in North Liberty and have been over to Elkhart county to look at both the Central Boiler at Topeka Seed and Stove then headed to Shipshewana to check the Natures Comfort 6000 out.

I haven't yet. Got a pocket full of cash and getting ready to throw some offers out here somtime real soon. Attack, EKO, and biomass are roughly in my price range. I'll let you know when I get it pinned down.

Ahh, okay. You're going the inside route while I'm sticking with a outdoor model since I already have the pipes buried to the house and shop.

Would still like to get a look at it anyways.

I'll let you know when I get something put together. I have a central boiler 6048 right now, and will be enclosing my pad. I feel the indoor gasifier route is the way to go, for me anyways, working off a budget. R. Snyder seemed like he was leaning toward the garn last time I talked to him, for the combined storage. Been a while since I talked to him, and he was activly persuing a couple people for information and advice. I'm just winging it. :eek:

Reactions: woodsmaster
I'm doing a hybrid I guess it could be called. Outdoor gasifier but tied into the shop waste oil boiler which I'm in the process of collecting materials for. The waste oil part now is in an old forced air wood furnace. New waste oil boiler will hold roughly 300 gallons then the 200 gallons or so the gasifier will hold. During those times in the fall or spring when its debatable on whether to start a fire in the wood burner or to keep it going I'll instead heat with the waste oil. 500 gallons is a little shy of some of the mass storage units I've seen but it's not a real problem if I have to fire the waste oil burner once in the morning then again at night. Is a manual light but can be set up to shut off once the water reaches a set temp.

By doing this with the waste oil I should be able to avoid some of the problems associated with outdoor gasifiers and a light heating load.

I'm doing a hybrid I guess it could be called. Outdoor gasifier but tied into the shop waste oil boiler which I'm in the process of collecting materials for. The waste oil part now is in an old forced air wood furnace. New waste oil boiler will hold roughly 300 gallons then the 200 gallons or so the gasifier will hold. During those times in the fall or spring when its debatable on whether to start a fire in the wood burner or to keep it going I'll instead heat with the waste oil. 500 gallons is a little shy of some of the mass storage units I've seen but it's not a real problem if I have to fire the waste oil burner once in the morning then again at night. Is a manual light but can be set up to shut off once the water reaches a set temp.

By doing this with the waste oil I should be able to avoid some of the problems associated with outdoor gasifiers and a light heating load.

What kind of boiler are you running now, and what are you hoping to acive by switching to an outdoor gassifier ?

And i'm on your heels with the waste oil burning, but what to get the wood boiler system revised first. One project at a time.

Have a homemade unit thats on it's 14th heating season. Internally it's fine have corrosion from external sources, rain/snow.

Hope to burn half the wood I am now, I like cutting wood, but not that much to keep on with the amounts this winter took to heat.

Not sure how fancy you want to get with your waste oil setup, but this is what I've used for almost ten years now with no problems.

http://www.wasteoilheater.net

I just bought the burner kit, pump, nozzle etc. and modified the wood burner I built for the shop.

Are you actually ahead on your wood ? I'm not at this point, starting on it this weekend hopefully. How much are you going through?

You've got guts attempting your own gasifier. I wouldn't mind attempting one, but not one I plan on using for my primary heat source. There will be a set of tee's off to the side for future endeavors.

I will be shortly, I have almost a dozen dead ash down. The smallest is about 20" at the base, the larger my 460 with a 30" bar wouldn't make it thru from one side. I would have had it done by now but with the winter we've had the woods these came out of has been inaccessible since December. New motor for the skid steer should be here Thursday.

R Snyder and city boy, I'm wondering what brand you went with?

I'm in North Liberty and have been over to Elkhart county to look at both the Central Boiler at Topeka Seed and Stove then headed to Shipshewana to check the Natures Comfort 6000 out.

Hello mlappin,
Have not made up my mind yet, but am leaning toward a Garn. Integrated storage and simplicity of operation are very attractive. You are taking on a big project building your own gasser, however from reading your other thread it sounds like you are well on your way to having it well thought out. We use VFD around the farm as well, they offer great flexibility. Best of luck. Hard to imagine that we could be planting in about 5 weeks!
R. Snyder

Since March 25th I've dropped a lot of other dead ash as well. Have almost thirty to get cut up. Wen track to some I dropped earlier, stumps are dried out and starting to check already. Should be good and dry for this coming winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.