who would you trust do do a proper chimney and hearth install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelthomas

Feb 10, 2006
Would you be more likely to go with a reputable sweep, a tech from a stove shop, or a general contractor? Why

In general, it would be the stove shop. But there are exceptions to every rule. My reasoning is that they have more experience than many sweeps with actual stove installation. Sweeps run the gamut from lousy to great, and while shops may also vary, the very fact of having a successful long term business is one thing in their favor.

But, as I said first, it would be any of the above in a "single" case.

Tough install. I would call around to local stove dealers and ask who they would suggest, or maybe even folks on this forum who are in your are. I see a number of people in my area.

My luck in general with chimney sweeps have not been that great, they seem to always want to sell something else beyond the sweep (kind of like oil changes at jiffy lube). Last one who cleaned the oil burner flu in ma's house wanted to re-line the chimney, and sell us a $1,500 custom cap. :naw:

"If ya want it done right, ya gotta do it yourself"
I try to live by this motto. There are some things I can't/won't do. But not a whole lot.

Definitely do it yourself. The knowledge you'll have of your system will be invaluable down the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.