whole house surge protectors

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Here are the devices and you can see one of my surge protectors is needing replacement so I’ll replace the one in the other panel as it had no protection or the lamps burnt out.
No need to take chances IMO

View attachment 292126 View attachment 292127
Thanks. I’m opting for the Square D one. I don’t have any open slots and it can be wired to the L1 and L2 terminal lugs. The breaker mounted ones would be great if I had the space. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Square-D-80-kA-Home-Electronics-Protective-Device-HEPD-HEPD80/203540660

You’re planning on working with L1&2 live or do you have a disconnect?
I’d drop in some tandem breakers myself and call it done.
Nope. I’m going to pay an electrician. He’s just getting back to work from a broken leg. Figure it’s a good good short job for him. My dad is just down the street and will do his too. Main panel is all double pole. All full. Didn’t quite think about the tandem double pole breakers. I will probably need to add another double pole at some point for a higher amperage second EV charger.

Hey all,

I'm considering putting in a couple of breaker-style whole house surge protectors.

Does anyone have experience with these? Mainly, how long do these typically last? Don't want to put in the money if they'll have to be replaced every 2-3 years.

What has been the community's experience? Would consider the region I'm in right now to be a moderate-high lightning area.

Thanks in advance,
You didn’t read the thread???

Nope. I’m going to pay an electrician. He’s just getting back to work from a broken leg. Figure it’s a good good short job for him. My dad is just down the street and will do his too. Main panel is all double pole. All full. Didn’t quite think about the tandem double pole breakers. I will probably need to add another double pole at some point for a higher amperage second EV charger.
Yeah just swap out your regular breakers for 1 or 2 tandem breakers to make room. Pretty simple.

Took some googling but I was able to find a square D tandem 20-20 two pole. 40$. Sold. Wasn’t available at the big box stores. Thats the best solution.
Yeah just swap out your regular breakers for 1 or 2 tandem breakers to make room. Pretty simple.

Reactions: bigealta
Took some googling but I was able to find a square D tandem 20-20 two pole. 40$. Sold. Wasn’t available at the big box stores. Thats the best solution.
The electric supply house the electricians use should have plenty for your future needs.

Hey all,

I'm considering putting in a couple of breaker-style whole house surge protectors.

Does anyone have experience with these? Mainly, how long do these typically last? Don't want to put in the money if they'll have to be replaced every 2-3 years.

What has been the community's experience? Would consider the region I'm in right now to be a moderate-high lightning area.

Thanks in advance,
if you are in a high lightning area and had to replace the suppression unit every 2 to 3 years you need it badly. most have a 5 year warranty. when the lights on the unit go out the unit needs replacing. these units are way cheaper than fixing a appliance

Reactions: EbS-P
i would be interested in hearing some of the stories about these units. i install them where ever possible but never heard anyone say boo about them. either they are working or people have been ignoring them

Reactions: EbS-P