Whoops

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

EatenByLimestone

Staff member
The 30 got a bit away from me with the low temps outside. It set the smoke alarm off as I was about 15 feet away and checking on the nights reload. I have the damper 100% shut and have quite a fire show going.

Matt

Getting one heck of a draft here too. Did you have some smoke come out when you checked on the load?

If you have a blower, I suggest ya turn it up on high and take advantage of what you've got happening there.

pen

Yeah this 21' 5.5" pipe is drafting like a Hoover right now in the teens outside and wind blowing over the top of it. If I hadn't "adjusted" that secondary air inlet last year I would be in nail biting territory right now with the night load.

Are you running the basement 30 too?

Yup, the beast of global warming is in the basement. You know, I did have a bit of smoke when I reloaded last night. I think I blew it off as I was reloading before the load was spent. The wife commented on it. I don,t think that was what set the alarm off though. I think it was dust burning off.

I don't have a blower per say, but set a box fan in front of it for some low speed, high cfm movement.

After an only 8 hour burn last night I had a huge bed of coals. Probably at least a third full. I don't have time to burn them down so I threw a huuuuge chunk of silver maple in the back and then loaded a row on top.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.