who's buying now for next year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

who’s buying now for next year

• I wait until next fall like I always do

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive got 2.6 tons of okies on order due next week. I'm also picking up 4 tons of Maines choice at 209. I burned 10 bags of those earlier in the season and my stove really liked them.

Bought 2.5 tons of prestologs this week at 200 a ton. No pellet pig for sure,but its a start... :lol:

I have 1 ton left for this yr and just picked up 2 ton of fireside last week. this weekend going to get another 2 ton. The way i see it the price is going to be high for next years heating season. So if a can get them now at a decent price, around 200, I will be better off. I dont want to be paying 300 or more come summer/ fall. I dont think we in western NY will see 180 a ton again. Also with gas @ 3.75 a gl I an not driving all around to pick up top name pellets, sad to say but what ever pellets i can get at this point will just have to do.

rowerwet said:
I expect the Goofs in charge of our country, who are currently blocking any new oil drilling production in the US, and being held in contempt of court for it, hope to push oil higher than we have ever seen, I wish I could buy the next ten years worth, but I don't have the space. Hoping woodpellet.com has some good spring sales soon, getting down to my last couple tons.

How ignorant, current oil prices have little to do with our administration and everything to do with revolts happing in Mideast/N. African nations... and traders who see it as a way to make a buck.

Back on topic, I'm looking to get at least 1/2 next years supply secured by end of week... before the pellet plants and stove shops crying poverty in November decide to try and make all their losses in one season.

Lowes in Greenland, NH getting a shipment of Fireside & GT on Thursday

With Natural Gas prices being so low it doesn't pay for me to even run the pellet stove. If prices go up I guess I won't be burning next year!

mascoma said:
rowerwet said:
I expect the Goofs in charge of our country, who are currently blocking any new oil drilling production in the US, and being held in contempt of court for it, hope to push oil higher than we have ever seen, I wish I could buy the next ten years worth, but I don't have the space. Hoping woodpellet.com has some good spring sales soon, getting down to my last couple tons.

How ignorant, current oil prices have little to do with our administration and everything to do with revolts happing in Mideast/N. African nations... and traders who see it as a way to make a buck.

Back on topic, I'm looking to get at least 1/2 next years supply secured by end of week... before the pellet plants and stove shops crying poverty in November decide to try and make all their losses in one season.
But isn't it funny how back in 2008, whan oil spiked up to $148/barrel, all the dems wanted us to think that it was George Bush's fault. They name streets after them liberals....."One way"!

Thinking about getting a ton or two. Any problem storing them in one of them there instant 12x20 instant garage/shelter??

JoeS said:
With Natural Gas prices being so low it doesn't pay for me to even run the pellet stove. If prices go up I guess I won't be burning next year!

Yes NG is cheap right now. I have NG and am paying about $1.40/therm. $17.40 per million btus. That calculates out to about $230/ton for pellets using the same standard. Since I have been buying pellets all season for well under $200/ton (and my living space is 70-74 degrees) the stove is cranking!!!

At the end of this season we will end up with about 8 1/4 tons left in the sheds for the 2011/2012 heating season.

If I can get a little more space set aside I would like to get a couple more tons of "Greenway" pellets. Both of my stoves seem to burn them alright. They produce little ash and provide good heat.

We can get them for $209.oo per ton at Wood Floors Plus in Glen Burnie Maryland. The store manager said that they will be going up in price when he receives his next delivery due to the increased cost of fuel.

Not sure of the brand but Home Depot in Annapolis, and Lowe's in Easton had some pellets last week selling for $299.oo a ton.

The local stove shop wants $325.oo a ton for Hamers Hot Ones & American Energex.

johnnycomelately said:
mascoma said:
rowerwet said:

But isn't it funny how back in 2008, whan oil spiked up to $148/barrel, all the dems wanted us to think that it was George Bush's fault. They name streets after them liberals....."One way"!

agreed, but dont worry....if the price keeps going up, it will still land on Obama's shoulders....he's just very fortunate its happening when it is, at the END of winter......but, again, dont worry, its coming.......

johnnycomelately said:
mascoma said:
rowerwet said:

2008 was a product of bankers who knew what was coming looking for a place to put/make money and landed in the commodities market. There was never more demand than supply, there was just more money than oil.

mascoma said:
johnnycomelately said:
mascoma said:
rowerwet said:

2008 was a product of bankers who knew what was coming looking for a place to put/make money and landed in the commodities market. There was never more demand than supply, there was just more money than oil.

Also, keep in mind that in 2008-2009 that SUPPLY of pellets was also an issue as far as prices go. Remember, gas spiked, HHO went up as well so people were looking for other options to save $$$. A bunch of people bought stoves and there was an issue of whether or not you would be able to get pellets.

I don't know that that is an issue at this point.

Carrying over 1.5 tons of Barefoot from this year's stash. Have a 1/2 ton of Maine's Choice @ $209 and just grabbed 2 tons of
Somersets @ $209 over the weekend. Down to burning a bag every other day when the temp range is between 25-40 degrees outside. Clocks go an hour ahead this Saturday night. Insulation is PRICELESS! Insulate, insulate, insulate!

Building a new 20' x 20' shed when the snow is gone and the ground drys up....and will add another four tons so we will be covered for both the 2011-12 and 2012-13 seasons. I can grab MWP @ $240/ton and will be able to see what the pellet house deals are for the spring. But I want to have all my pellets for the next two years by the end of May.

Only a matter of time before the House of Saud falls. This will be the big Black Swan. Saud is a house NOT too big to fail. That will put oil out of reach for most folks, gasoline north of $10/gal and rolling electrical blackouts. No faith in governments or politicians.
We're on our own.

Fish On said:
who's buying now

Hello

Well with the price of gas and oil going up every day, I decided to pickup 2.5 Tons of Maine's Choice for next winter at Lowe's

They got 22 tons in on Thursday Night and when I called Sat morning they had a little over 4.5 tons left but were selling 2 tons while I was on the phone. So when I got there and I said I wanted 2.5 tons and while they were doing the paper work and scheduling delivery a customer came over and started taking some. I said pull mine out there is not much left. So after the customer took his load to the register Lowe's had 1 bag left after filling my order!!!

I thought $4.18 a bag will not last long and they may not get anymore back in for the season??

Attachments

• LowesDelivery03082011-1a.jpg
    LowesDelivery03082011-1a.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 331
  • LowesDelivery03082011-3sc.jpg
    LowesDelivery03082011-3sc.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 324
Can still get MWP for $199/ton. Need to get next years' ordered now!
Dealer said that prices will go up next month.

Prices are still at 'winter' levels here. I'm waiting it out a bit more to see what happens. I owe the tax man too, so it's bad timing :/ I have 6 bags left from my 10 i bought last weekend. Sun has been bright, so only need some heat at night lately.

Spring discount buy-in is in April around here, so no not yet but soon. Will be 4-6 tons of Lignetics (depending on the $$) and 2 tons of Vermont Softies, that'll do us for next year.

Oil prices are cyclical guys, don't panic. They'll go down soon, just like the Kenyan. ;)

I disagree. Oil can logically only go UP from here.

All the cheap oil (ie, close to shore) has been drilled. Everything left requires either
- harder exploration
- deeper drilling
- further shipping
- more refining (ie, shale)

We're past peak oil. Life as we know it will change in our lifetimes (well, at least most of the younger crowd).

briansol said:
I disagree. Oil can logically only go UP from here.

All the cheap oil (ie, close to shore) has been drilled. Everything left requires either
- harder exploration
- deeper drilling
- further shipping
- more refining (ie, shale)

We're past peak oil. Life as we know it will change in our lifetimes (well, at least most of the younger crowd).

I heard this same line back in the early 70's. For anyone without a calculator that was 35+ years ago.

Here is a nice fun graph: "www.wtrg.com/oil_graphs/oilprice1947.gif"

Pic doesn't load.

I wasn't alive in the 70's, so I obviously don't recall anything that happened then first hand :D

But, That was a different situation. That was opec and political boycotts that caused the issue, not actual physical supply.

briansol said:
Pic doesn't load.

I wasn't alive in the 70's, so I obviously don't recall anything that happened then first hand :D

But, That was a different situation. That was opec and political boycotts that caused the issue, not actual physical supply.

There is currently no supply problem.

Correct, there isn't. But future drilling/exploration is an issue as all known 'easy' spots have been tapped already, which brings us back to my post a couple above.

Does anybody ever buy pellets from online suppliers and have them shipped? I am new to this and my new Harman P61a will be installed later this month and I want to stock up for next winter. My local HD is out of pellets and they say they will not get more until "next season", not sure when the "season" starts. Lowes expects to get more "within 48 hours". Anyway, just looking for good online merchants who would deliver to Western CT. I too am thinking that prices may go up over the next few months. Thanks.

Mike

GooGoo said:
Does anybody ever buy pellets from online suppliers and have them shipped? I am new to this and my new Harman P61a will be installed later this month and I want to stock up for next winter. My local HD is out of pellets and they say they will not get more until "next season", not sure when the "season" starts. Lowes expects to get more "within 48 hours". Anyway, just looking for good online merchants who would deliver to Western CT. I too am thinking that prices may go up over the next few months. Thanks.

Mike

Mike, as others have said, try a few different pellet brands first. It's easy to read things here when first burning and be a bit eager, or maybe even confused. My first year I bought 4 tons of Green Teams right away. Had them here before the stove was even installed. Not a bad decision, but I have learned more since and fine tuned my buying because of it. I was dealing with a fall install where you have a spring. You have more time for next year, but at the same time run the risk of a potentialy volatile price situation. Ahhh, gotta love life's struggles.

My P68 really likes the softwoods. Maybe should clarify thay I really like the softwoods, the stove will burn anything without a problem. I would think that your P61 will as well.

For me, this years Greene Team burn fine and have decent heat, but the cleanup of the stove has been twice the work of the Spruce Pointes. Firts rule of thumb to learn is that a clean stove = happy stove and warm home. Also heat output is a bit better with the Spruce. Ash is about the same volume with the Greene Teams being grittier and a bit dirtier overall.

Again, both have burned very well for me this year. The Okies were left over from last year and are very similar to Spruce Pointe; deciding difference between those 2 has been solely price.

As of last weekend, I have changed back to burning Greene Team again and the house is nice an warm.

YMMV

Good Luck and enjoy the new stove !!!

Geno

Status
Not open for further replies.