Who's done burning??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake

Dec 11, 2005
nw burbs of Chi
Not I this easter weekend...... 8-10 expected

Attachments

• DSCN3241.JPG
    DSCN3241.JPG
    34.4 KB · Views: 368
I'll run out of wood well before I'm done burning this year. THink I'll need about 5-7 cords next year.

27 degrees and snowing here. Happy Easter.

20* in CNY this morning with a stiff wind blowing snow.

I know a lot of you northerners are sick of the white stuff, but I will say again that I am jealous. Another non-winter in the Appalachians of VA with a whopping 1 measurable snowfall.

Woke up to about an inch of new snow on the ground this morning...they're predicting a low temp overnight tonight between 15* & 20*, so not done burning yet...though I'm certainly ready for some warmer temps! Rick

If we didn't have the wind it wouldn't be so darn cold.
Major wind advisories here in Mass. I am surrounded by water & the lake looks like the ocean, pretty cool looking.

I am not burning in the AM only when I get home from work.
Sometimes the heat doesn't kick on, then again I keep it low & let the kids turn it up when they get home to take the chill off if needed.

I am ready for fishing & swimming season...

9 1/2 inches of snow so far today and still coming down. This will blast us well over 100 inches for the year.
A few days ago, we were seeing our first robins. They might have been a bit early.

Fire went out 2 days ago. I cleaned out the insert really well. That was only the 2nd time this season! Woke up to an inch of snow this morning and now 12inchs in Wisconsin...I was going to haul some wood up and now I don't know where those piles are???

There is no end. There is a very big difference here between the first day of Spring.....and the first Spring day.
Our stoves do not go out until June ( no Pinocchio ).

We'll be rippin for a while. Last night it was 16 here. Like in Mass a lot of cold wind and heavy rain yesterday. Thank God it wasn't snow or we'd have it like Maine.
WE still have wood as the Mansfield is using a lot less than we had planned with the Definant. And, it sure is nice to be in here with those warm secondary flames!
Good luck to all....

Having lived in Central Oregon a whopping 7 months now, I think I can already reliably predict that my burning seasons will be longer than my motorcycle riding seasons. Bummer. Rick

Done burning< are you kiddin. 27 with 6 new inches of snow in SE Michigan. from the looks of things iLl go right in to april

I'm down to the very end of my woodpile. It's not too bad here. mid 30's to mid 40's. So I've been burning birch (trees dropped by the electric company and left on the side of the road) not a lot of heat but good for getting thru the day. At night I've been burning whats left of my cherry and maple. I think I'll pass on any more birch, it makes more ashes than heat. One more week of wood left and the gas company will like me again.

pistonslap said:
I'm down to the very end of my woodpile. It's not too bad here. mid 30's to mid 40's. So I've been burning birch (trees dropped by the electric company and left on the side of the road) not a lot of heat but good for getting thru the day. At night I've been burning whats left of my cherry and maple. I think I'll pass on any more birch, it makes more ashes than heat. One more week of wood left and the gas company will like me again.

Now don't be a wood snoot here Slap. :p As one travels beyond your southern latitudes, wood species vary rapidly from oak/hickory hards to less hard hardwoods such as Red Maple and WHITE/PAPER BIRCH to all softwoods. It is diversity.
Our Downeast woodlands produce Red Maples ( love wet feet ) and Paper/White Birch along with some oaks, hard maples, ashes, etc..; White Birch is at least 1/3 of our harvestable burn. For longer Birch Burns use larger splits. Real wood burners NEVER run out.....we can't. Next winter's butts --cut this winter--sit ready for the split and stack dance.

Dope Slap for you. :)

I understand what you're saying Downeast but my woodfurnace is more like a woodchipper. I burn between 6-7 full cords a season and my storage space is limited. Truth be told though, the birch did get me through the milder days without having to open any windows. My wife always gets mad at me for watching the hillsides rather than the road when we're in the car. One type of wood that I like that everybody hates is sumac. It lights easy burns to coals fast and is a great firestarter. Also, I burned a lot of very dry pine this year, good fast heat but also burns very fast. You're right, I probably wouldn't pass it up if I saw it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.