Who's done splitting, and ready to burn?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed! Big spruce is a pain to split. We also have ash beetle, and lots of ash are standing dead trees. The ash seem to be better trees to css than the spruce. They are just more dangerous to fell when they`ve been dead for a few years.

For sure you always have to be extremely careful when cutting dead trees. Believe it or not, most of our ash have been dead for 10 years or more and only one has been a problem. Nothing serious and we got it okay but it was one that made us stop and think a bit before starting the saw.

Plenty ready for this year, side porch has 3 cord of 2.5 year seasoned maple oak and some mixed slab wood. Got another 4 cord of seasoned maple, cherry, ash, and mulberry covered in the stacks. Currently splitting more for 15/16 to replace what I burn this year. Don't think I plan on being done splitting any time soon!

Finally got out and got our last load for the year. Up to about 9.5 cords. I would go and get another load to make it over 10, but, I don't think that I can find anywhere to stack it. Plus, the wife is getting tired and would like to take next weekend off. :)
Now, we just have to sit back, enjoy the warm (inside the house) winter and see how much we burn. I am hoping for it to be between 4 - 5 cords.
We are now getting into the near freezing overnight, and 11::C (52::F) 16::C (61::F) for a day time high.
With me being cheap, and refusing to turn on the electric heat, or the pellet stove, it will soon be burning time ==c

Finally got out and got our last load for the year. Up to about 9.5 cords. I would go and get another load to make it over 10, but, I don't think that I can find anywhere to stack it. Plus, the wife is getting tired and would like to take next weekend off. :)
Now, we just have to sit back, enjoy the warm (inside the house) winter and see how much we burn. I am hoping for it to be between 4 - 5 cords.
We are now getting into the near freezing overnight, and 11::C (52::F) 16::C (61::F) for a day time high.
With me being cheap, and refusing to turn on the electric heat, or the pellet stove, it will soon be burning time ==c
Taking the weekend off is good now and then. We are taking most of the week off to heal up, clean house and yard up a bit too. Kind of a mental holiday as well. Will probably cut up some of the logs in the truck tomorrow, not split them until Friday. We are probably getting another load on Thursday, so we will have more to make it worth pulling the splitter out.

I have over 20 cords ready to burn, probably another 6 to split, and countless dead ones to cut up when I have time and hunting season is over. Actually sold a small amount to some neighbors and now I feel guilty like I should be giving it away.

I have over 20 cords ready to burn, probably another 6 to split, and countless dead ones to cut up when I have time and hunting season is over. Actually sold a small amount to some neighbors and now I feel guilty like I should be giving it away.

Not to get all religious on you, but the good book says, "The laborer is worthy of his wages." If you gave them a fair product at a fair price you should enjoy the fruits of you labor and sleep like a baby!

This is my first year - and after reading through this thread I'm convinced I should spend the rest of the week on firewood even though it's my vacation week from work.

I have 2 cords in the driveway, split, but not yet stacked and 2 more cords will be delivered this weekend, already split. I'm hoping that it's dry enough to burn this winter; I just got my moisture meter in the mail so I'll be checking this morning. If the wood is dry enough I'll burn that this year and buy 4 more cords of semi-seasoned to stack for next year. If it's not dry enough...I may need to splurge for kiln dried for our first year. Really hoping that won't be the case.

Whatever the case, I'm about 3 years behind most of you. We do have oil backup and will use it if needed.

Reactions: PapaDave
You gotta do what ya gotta do. Good call on the moisture meter. You have one more option...if you find that your current wood is not fit, locate other sellers - and TEST the firewood for sale. You might find one that has truly seasoned wood.

I spent six days of a seven day vacation processing wood. It was a good mental break.
Sounds like my kind of vacation. :)

Make sure you re-split the wood and test on a fresh (previously internal) face of the wood, when you use that meter. Readings from the outside of already-split wood mean NOTHING.

I'll be surprised if you find it acceptable (close to 20%), so you might want to start making some calls to track down some kiln-dried. You can wait until you check what you have to place the order, but at least you'll be ready for it. You can always stack what you have to start drying for next year... and while you're at it, get working on your 2015-2016 wood. You'll be ahead of the game in no time... short-term pain / long-term gain.

Checked a few pieces, see pics below. I'm going to check a bunch more. I did split for a fresh face read. The 45 read concerns me. I'll be checking for add'l pieces to see how many have high moisture. What are thoughts on burning 25%? I've already decided I'm going to get the add'l 2 cords from another source. It seems there are a good number of pieces that need to be recut to fit my stove... bummer.
IMG_20130917_102529_119.jpgIMG_20130917_102152_043[1].jpgIMG_20130917_102832_065.jpg

Checked a few pieces, see pics below. I'm going to check a bunch more. I did split for a fresh face read. The 45 read concerns me. I'll be checking for add'l pieces to see how many have high moisture. What are thoughts on burning 25%? I've already decided I'm going to get the add'l 2 cords from another source. It seems there are a good number of pieces that need to be recut to fit my stove... bummer.
View attachment 111923View attachment 111922View attachment 111924

Hey, I have that moisture meter too!

Up to 25 may be better by December? I wouldn't mind up to 25, but not over. Then again, I'm newer to the game and I'm sure many will disagree with me.

Yeah... get that 25% stuff stacked in single rows in the most open location you have, and you'll limp thru it this year. That 45% stuff... forget it. Not happening this year!

All this years cut/split/stacked since last winter. Time to get to work on next years. I don't know if I will ever get three years ahead. Maybe.

Never Done. Just farther ahead.

Depending on where you are, I'm thinking that the wood could dry a good bit between now and December. You're looking at 3 months with hopefully low humidity and some good breezes. Obviously the 45% still wouldn't work but the 25% may be ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.