Who's still burning??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not burning today, but I might as well be. Cloudy, windy, probably high 40-something out at best. Who was it on here that coined the word "Juneuary"? That's what this feels like. Could use some of that Mid-Atlantic warmth, but puh-leeze not that humidity. The right coasters are too hot, the left coasters too cold...is anyone just comfy? Rick

I'm still burning almost non-stop. We'll let the fire dwindle during the day and then run it again in the evening. The stove never cools down all the way. It was upper 40s this morning and raining. We had a tiny bit of sunshine last night though. It is nice to have excess wood for these unexpectedly long seasons.

On the bright side I scored a craigslist deal for seasoned cut and split doug fir for 35$ per truckload. The guy just got tired of burning. I ran 7 overloaded truckloads to my house in 7 hours. Each load was over 1/2 cord. Super sweet deal. Easily 4 cords of beautiful stuff for 250$ plus 50$ of gas.

Highbeam said:
...Easily 4 cords of beautiful stuff for 250$ plus 50$ of gas.

Heck of a deal, highbeam, good for you! Rick

Record low of 44 set at SeaTac yesterday. 48 mph gusts made a mess of the yard with blown down branches and leaves. This is the coldest beginning of June on record. Snow in the (lower) mtn passes.

Needless to say, we're burning same as you now Highbeam. Fire's going now.

About the same temps here as BG. So still burning. Actually when the wife came in the door from work yesterday, first thing she said-'why isn`t the fire going? it`s sure cold enough to have it burning".. The thing is , it was burning but no smoke that she could see coming from the chimney. Gotta love this newer technology :coolgrin:

Hell no. I'm researching venting the attic, and some kind of primitive geo-cooling trench.

P.S. Howdy all, just stopping back in for the summer season.

Marty said:
Hell no. I'm researching venting the attic, and some kind of primitive geo-cooling trench.

How did that big ole stove do this year?

BrotherBart said:
Marty said:

How did that big ole stove do this year?
I think I was less prepared this year than the first, or at least I paid more per cord and ran low in April. The stove itself did fine.

I put a ceiling fan in the dining room "behind the stove", if you remember my double sided installation. But a big Patton floor fan, pointed right at the backside of it from across that room on 'low', seemed to move the heat the best. Nothing will be really right until I address some of my insulation shortcomings in the house (windows and attic). Well at least I know what I'm doing wrong at this point. :)

Marty said:
I think I was less prepared this year than the first, or at least I paid more per cord and ran low in April. The stove itself did fine.

I put a ceiling fan in the dining room "behind the stove", if you remember my double sided installation. But a big Patton floor fan, pointed right at the backside of it from across that room on 'low', seemed to move the heat the best. Nothing will be really right until I address some of my insulation shortcomings in the house (windows and attic). Well at least I know what I'm doing wrong at this point. :)

I remember the install adventure well. Glad it is tossing some heat. Air movement is always a pain.

Was 45 with rain this morning when I woke up.
If the temps don't get above 60 today I will be burning again tonight to keep it above 70 in the house.

Y'all are a bunch of WHINERS! Our power is out. Seems when your cold air masses hit our humidity, all hell breaks loose. On the bright side, I think I can probably find some downed trees out of this...

Chris

Currently: 46F (Wind Chill 39F) Wind E 18 Cloudy
(on Wed 2:55PM CDT at Wadena Municipal Airport)

Wind Chill of 39 in June?

Yup, I will have to bring another arm load of wood in to take the chill out of the house.
Would be a sin to let the propane furnace kick in.

I thought I would not hear about Wind Chill's until October.

27 hours in the dark so far, temp dropped to mid 80's today. Can't wait for hurricane season...

Chris

my god. I hope you are joking.

48 and cloudy again this morning. House cooled to mid 60s overnight. Still burning as though it was winter.

absolutly crazy. what do you have, three weeks of "summer"

Status
Not open for further replies.