Who's still not ready for the season....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sante fe

Burning Hunk
Sep 28, 2011
Poughkeepsie ny
I guess I'm behind schedule this year. Going to give my 52i a good cleaning this Saturday and get ready for another season. I still have 2 tons of hammer hot ones from last year. With the lows now in the 30s the season is moving in fast. Anyone else behind schedule ? Or are you good to go...

While everything is clean, I'm still trying to seal my stupid BDM biovent pipe. Stupid thing wont perfect seal at the joints and I dont want to glue them together...

Stove cleaned after the last burn in may, flu cleaned in july and pellets delivered in early september. I did a test burn a few days ago but it's not cold enough to burn yet, it was unbearably warm after just 2 hours!

Yeah, I haven't started the 52i yet but will probably clean it out and fire it up later this week.

New to the site! I've got a US Stoves 5660 stove. Haven't cleaned it out from last year yet, but the hoppers full. Going to give it a good cleaning on Saturday between football games. Getting my ton and a half delivered next week. That cold weather's moving in here in CT. Won't be long!

I did my preseason cleaning on Sunday which is later than I wanted to do it. But it's done. Almost 4 tons (192 bags) of Turman and Barefoot in garage.

I am ready to go. Although I would like to pick up a few more bags. Went through over 4 tons a couple season ago, not so much last year.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Just cleaned my 52i this past Saturday. Had all summer but kept putting it off. Did a full cleaning, which takes me about 2 hours. I'm so glad when I got it done. Ready for season!!

Sent my wife up on the roof to do the leaf blower trick about three weeks ago.
Also picked up a ton of Clean Burn pellets.
I have a fire in it right now.

I finished up the preseason cleaning on Saturday by finally cleaning the vent pipe, rotating the auger motors, and greasing the auger bearings. Ended up running the stove over night Monday into Tuesday since the low temp was around 35. Worked perfectly.

I was "ready", stove clean and pallets o'pellets stacked. finally went to fire up Tuesday evening because the wife was "chilled". Had not realized I had left perhaps a quart of pellets in the hopper! OMG! Seriously, scooped them out and discarded even though they looked fine, stove fired right up.

...I had left perhaps a quart of pellets in the hopper! OMG! Seriously, scooped them out and discarded even though they looked fine, stove fired right up.

What's wrong with pellets that sat over the summer in the hopper?

I had almost a whole bag in my stove from last winter. They're gone now. They went up in smoke inside the stove. They burned just like they did last winter.
Ron

Reactions: Cory S
While everything is clean, I'm still trying to seal my stupid BDM biovent pipe. Stupid thing wont perfect seal at the joints and I dont want to glue them together...
Need new sealing silicone rings? Use silicone tape on the joints after.

Got the Englander 25 PDV cleaned out and going last weekend. Cleaned out the pipes outside and in, thorough in-stove cleaning, and the leaf blower trick, fired up clean and hot. I've run it a couple times for an hour or two just to heat the bedrooms right above it. Test fired the Appalachian wood burner with leftover bio bricks and it burned well. Haven't cleaned the chimney pipe on the Appalachian yet, probably not much soot in it, didn't even burn 2 tons last year. I'll be up on the roof this weekend to get her done before the snow comes. Then off to get some pellets. Anyone have recommendations for Southern CT pellets?

Need new sealing silicone rings? Use silicone tape on the joints after.
I replaced the rings and taping the exterior of the pipe won't help the way this one is designed. There seems to be an air gap around the entire pipe that can't be sealed with tape sadly. Testing the pipe with water in it and it leaks like crazy.

Seal between inner and outer pipe is gone? They do have a ten year warranty so I would call them or the supplier you purchase from. BDM was very helpful when Woodman's parts plus kept sending me the wrong stove adapter (twice) ... sent it out free! www.dalsinmfg.com

Edit Warranty info is in the upload section at the bottom.

Last edited:
Seal between inner and outer pipe is gone? They do have a ten year warranty so I would call them or the supplier you purchase from. BDM was very helpful when Woodman's parts plus kept sending me the wrong stove adapter (twice) ... sent it out free! www.dalsinmfg.com

Edit Warranty info is in the upload section at the bottom.

Hopefully not derailing this thread too much lol. There is no seal between inner and outer pipe by design that I can tell. There is just an inner seal, then a free air flowing passage between the pipes. I think the inner seal on the clean out where the stove side inner pipe meets the vertical inner pipe is culprit but it's hard to tell until it's fired up and it starts smoking via the gap between the inner and outer pipe. Hard to explain I guess without seeing this type of pipe. I'll have to hit up my dealer, didn't realize it had a 10 yr warranty. Thanks.

Reactions: Lake Girl
I have 2 cords ready to go, but the new stove setup and install isn't happening till Nov 28, killing me

Gonna warm up in a couple of days. Oil tank just got topped off so 30 minutes of Dino fuel to get the house warm and off the rest of the day. Probably clean the stove this weekend and wait for a cold spell before firing it up.

What's wrong with pellets that sat over the summer in the hopper?
I read right here on this forum about the perils of pellets that absorb moisture while in the hopper over the summer.

That said, the new airconditiong's thermostat has a humidity readout, mostly 49-53% all summer. I presume similar in the hopper.

Still haven't fired up the stove yet. it's clean and ready to go. Had a ton of blazers left over from last year and just bought 2.4 tons of lacrete.

I read right here on this forum about the perils of pellets that absorb moisture while in the hopper over the summer.

If you look closely at your pellet bags, they have multiples little holes punched by the factory. This is done to relieve the pressure inside the bags, else, the bags would probably rupture when manipulated and stacked. Since the bags are not sealed shut, I guess that moisture could get in there just as easilly as in a hopper. More so if they are stored in the basement or garage.

Hence I think this is a non issue. ymmv!

I have smoker pellets (the really expensive pellets for a smoker) that I bought 10 years ago on sale. They have been sitting in the workshop loft all that time and they still burn fine. As it takes me a couple of years to empty a bag they sit open for a long time and start and burn fine. JMHO
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.