Why a stove would create clincker and the other won't using the same pellet brand?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
My Santa Fe failed to auto-start again and I saw fresh new pellets sitting in the burn pot, the t-stat was calling for heat but the stove was cool.

Started moving the rod to dump ash and noticed a medium-sized clinker sitting at the bottom when I was scraping the burn pot walls.

I am burning the same Greene Team Gold Premium pellet, on the Englander this brand turns all into very light fluffy ash (lot of ash BTW).

I don't recall ever seeing a clinker created in the englander, at least of that size.

Santa Fe doesn't have air controls like the englander, just low/med/high blower settings.

Both stoves have OAK.
Englander straight out and then up 3 feet.
Santa Fe in basement about 7 feet up and then 3 feet out.

A hot fire will cause the ash to melt and clink, The Quads do run hot.

First 2 different locations, Basements are less favorable.
Second 2 different ventings.
Both equal 2 different drafts and airflow

Third 2 different designs
Quad top feed into that burnbucket looking thingy.
Englander bottom feed.

I suspect that because the Quad design keeps the ash in the hottest part of the stove for longer you would get more clinkers.

But hey, probably the same stove in those 2 locations would yield different results.

Status
Not open for further replies.