Why are maritime pellet prices so high?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Retailers are simply shoving the pellets in the back corner and waiting to haul them out in the fall rather than offering a deal on them since they have decided it hurts them in the end. No one operation seems interested in shaking up the market by giving deals and that is what is needed here.

Two suppliers have now told me the price in the fall will be $6.50 per bag in Nova Scotia, the same as last year (they are placing their orders now). We'll just have to hope that, like last year, a good supply and lower demand brings down the price.

Everything in the maritimes is expensive (Nova Scotia anyway). Somehow, some one convinced everyone out here that it's "cheap living". Nova Scotia is probably the most expensive province I've ever lived in, coupled with the lowest wages and the highest taxes, it's little wonder its a loser of a province. I'd give anything to be back in Ontario. Anyways, excuse my little rant - Piercys hade pellets for $5.49 per bag a few weeks ago.

Hemlock try living in New Brunswick then come back and complain about Nova Scotia. :)
Im not going to bou any bags this year, still have almost 200 from last year... Didnt need to use them thanks to a mini split heat pump.

seems like if greed is what is driving local prices, that that new invention called the internet and online sellers should allow you to get some product at a better price, it may take a little working with others to make a big enough purchase, but that is the power you have as a consumer.

For our friends to the south - while these Canadian prices likley seem outrageous (and they are a bit high IMO), they should be taken within the context of the price of fuel oil here as well - which is floating around or above the $4.00 US/G mark, and has been for some time. That's an expensive fill up.

hemlock said:
For our friends to the south - while these Canadian prices likley seem outrageous (and they are a bit high IMO), they should be taken within the context of the price of fuel oil here as well - which is floating around or above the $4.00 US/G mark, and has been for some time. That's an expensive fill up.

What you mean Irving isn't your friend?

SmokeyTheBear said:
hemlock said:

What you mean Irving isn't your friend?

Nah. He won't return any of my calls.

Hamers are 227.00 a ton in my area. Lignetics are 225.00 a ton Iron Stone Mills a local pellet are 210.00a ton.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.